Gruul's Lair

Angus_Og

I am hoping to start this run up in a couple of months once we all get a little further along in Kara.

With this being said I am taking a poll of who would be interested. I know that we can not fill up all 25 spots and that is fine, but I would like to get at least 15 spots from The Forgiven before we start up. If you are interested please post what character you would/could bring.

I would most definately be interested, but I only just break 900 damage and 30% crit raid-buffed...how much more gear would I need to upgrade before I stop being a drag on the group?

I found a few guild requirements for Gruul online, and it seems like the concensus was hit rating + crit rating + spell damage = 900 Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
I suspect I will be interested once we get Kara on farm status and I have got a few upgrades from heroics, but seeing how I just joined the Mon/Fri Kara group I think that Gruul's is a ways off for me.

As for +dmg being 900... I am there now and don't have a single drop from Kara. It may be that that's all that's required, but I would be surprised to find out that I am geared enough already. :p

I would likely consider gruuls, i believe it has a 2 day cooldown.. (correction 7? beats me)
SGA's raid has been moved to wednesdays.

tanks need to start 14-15k hp (before raid buffS)
and gruul himself is a dps fight so if you think your gear is 'okay' -- its probably not the place for you yet.

would be cool to see a tf group going.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be against bringing any of my toons. Best geared at this point are Durruck & Imcu, both of which have seen the inside of Gruul's Lair before.

As for the +dmg question - I don't think 900 DAMAGE is required, but I can see a base of 900 dmg/crit/hit being needed. In fact, if you're totaling the 3, it might actually take more than that. But I know that even raid buffed, Durruck doesn't have 900 +dmg. I'm never top of the DPS, but I hold steady in the middle of the pack.

Something I would like to suggest for those that are considering going to Gruul's, get familiar with how to get the unstable flasks from the ogres in Ogri'La. Especially during learning fights, it's a LOT cheaper to have that flask than to keep sucking 2 elixirs every fight.

hate to hijack again, but are we ever going to set "soft guidelines" for our runs into post-5man raids? I know that we're not hardcore and all, and I have nothing against letting players in who may not meet the guidelines, the group is fun enough, no need to ruin it. But speaking as someone who's new to the scene, I have no idea what is required of me before walking into Gruul's, so if the guild were to set a guideline for what is needed, it might help noobs like me know when we are ready.

For instance, if you wanted 1100 of a total of hit, crit, and dmg, I would just need to get a spellstrike hood and my epic sword from HP rep...would give me something to aim for.

I didnt' realize it before, but gruul is considered to be in the same tier of dungeon's as kara. Somehow I pictured it requiring gear from within kara to run. I hope to be in mostly epics in a few more weeks.

I have the mats for a spellstrike hood to go with my pants (thanks bruce), and I am pvping for a few upgrades to other pieces (cloak, necklace and gloves). I should soon be able to buy the nice off hand from the heroic badges, so I will be in good shape I believe within a few weeks (both stats and +dmg wise).

I assume getting to 1k dmg, 16% hit rate and 13-15% crit is considered adaquate for gruuls as an affliction warlock?

There is an outdoor raid (Bash'ir Landing) that gives access to purchasing potions (usable in Gruul's and Blade's Edge only) with the crystal fragments you get with your daily quests. There are multiple phases of this raid that give access to Vendors with gems (first regular, then meta) as well as pieces to an armor set. The first part looks like it can be 5-man'd, but to finish the event, most of the people commenting on it say that it takes 25-30. The event happens every even numbered hour and there is a decent write-up on it on Thottbot for more info.

Just putting this out there to give a reason to hold onto those crystal shards from the daily quests.

My self and Renee are up for gruul. I have already done it a few times with my pally. (rogue will probably be ready gear wise too)

Xandar and or Tierc would also be interested, but you all know my schedule is not exactly fixed. I would personally like to see us be able to finish Kara first.

I didnt' realize it before, but gruul is considered to be in the same tier of dungeon's as kara. Somehow I pictured it requiring gear from within kara to run. I hope to be in mostly epics in a few more weeks.

I have the mats for a spellstrike hood to go with my pants (thanks bruce), and I am pvping for a few upgrades to other pieces (cloak, necklace and gloves). I should soon be able to buy the nice off hand from the heroic badges, so I will be in good shape I believe within a few weeks (both stats and +dmg wise).

I assume getting to 1k dmg, 16% hit rate and 13-15% crit is considered adaquate for gruuls as an affliction warlock?

I personally do not think anyone should be using gruuls as a substitute method of gaining gear. There are Two bosses in there with loot to distribute among 25 people. If you are not geared in the best you can obtain from kara you are probably not going to be ready, having said that..kara is not the only place to get gear. There are MANY wonderful craftable items. Anyways, if you show up with quest rewards and what not...thats not going to cut it. The difference between stuff may only be that some has more stamina or whatever but you have to be able to survive. Gruuls also features some non traditional tanks, such as hunters, moonkin, and a mage. Anyways..just something to think about.

Last edited:
We have 2 groups running through kara now and a third on the way. At some point in the future will definately have enough to run a 25 man every now and then... While you don't need all of the kara gear to advance to 25 mans, you do need to research what the gear lvl entry is for your class. Just know approximately what your class needs and go from there..It may be a mix of craftable, heroic gear, kara gear that will get your stats to where they need to be. I wouldn't be in a rush though for gruuls and try to by-pass kara...You will miss out on a lot of fun in kara and gruuls was boring the few times I was there.. In terms of mechanics, it's easier than kara..(Or was for me..as a healer..)

I've healed gruul's a few times with 2-3 epics, one green quest reward and the rest blues and I was in the top 3 healing (1-2 mostly). I have 8 epics now, +2000 healing fully buffed with light on my tank...and almost 14k mana, but I'm in no hurry to go. I'd much rather wait on the guild led runs.

Danny

Back