Gruul's Lair

They might say Gruul's is on the same level as Kara, but it isn't. As far as gear goes, I have not found anything that states that you need to be at a certain point before you go in.

There will be a few things that I will consider before inviting people to the run. One thing is your gear. I will do my best to look through the Armory and see what your stats are and how your gear stands up, percentage of lower to higher level gear.

If you are wondering about loot there are two parts to Gruul's lair; Epics and Tokens. These will be considered separate and limited to one each per run. Also there might be a point system put in place but I am working on how to do it atm. More info to come.

One last thing. I have tentavely set up a GC event for October 27th @ 3:30 server. This might change depending on date and time suggestions from everyone here. I would like to keep it on Saturday though as the rest of the week is becoming full.

I personally do not think anyone should be using gruuls as a substitute method of gaining gear. There are Two bosses in there with loot to distribute among 25 people. If you are not geared in the best you can obtain from kara you are probably not going to be ready, having said that..kara is not the only place to get gear. There are MANY wonderful craftable items. Anyways, if you show up with quest rewards and what not...thats not going to cut it. The difference between stuff may only be that some has more stamina or whatever but you have to be able to survive. Gruuls also features some non traditional tanks, such as hunters, moonkin, and a mage. Anyways..just something to think about.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I am trying to gear in up Gruul's at all. Trust me I lean far more on the side that I like to be over geared than under geared for something.

For example I didn't touch foot in Kara until I had about 5 lvl 70 epics, and my +dmg was close to 900. By the time I think I would be ready to step foot in Gruul's I plan to have replaced my current blues with epics via crafting (just need the spellstrike hood now), pvp, and heroics. My goal is to get my health to around 9-10k unbuffed, 1000 - 1,100 +dmg, and get my crit rate to around 13-15% (which isn't too bad for affliction).

I tend to plan out what pieces I want in advance and work towards those goals. I have a number of items I am currently working towards:
1. Spellstrike hood (almost there mats wise)
2. Offhand + Trinket from heroic badge turnins (2-3 more heroic runs and I will be ready to get the offhand)
3. PvP upgrades (neck, cloak (for stam), arena gloves, and I hope someday the arena dagger .... 225 dmg ftw!)
4. Seer's Signet (about half way to exalted with Scyer).

Almost all of these are attainable in the next week or two once I get back from vacation.

awww...the first time we look at starting Gruul's and it's on my birthday! Thanks!

On a serious note, I probably won't be able to make that night for obvious reasons, and will see if I can make subsequent runs.

Def Interested

Count me in of course, can't wait hope it happens sooner. Got some experience in Gruul as well been with SGA a few times now. I usually tank the warlock at Gaulmag and have cleansed and healed on Gruul of course i would like to MT-OT on Gruul from time to time, not always but want to give it a whirl. I know I can, just a few more Kara pieces to go.

when the time comes, i may switch over to guild gruuls. have not decided. I am already geared for him I generally ot him and have accidently mt'ed him. From a tanks perspective again...you need to be reaching massive hp. If i am passing your hp in elf form and you are a tank..i would suggest investigating the gear you need, where it comes from, gems, foods..yadda yadda. Two months seems far off but its not really, considering how often what you need actually drops :) that time will come a lot sooner.

I dont think you will ever see a pally mting a raid boss for the purpose of running out of mana. Druids are good soakers for dodge and because they are sponges, more likely a traditional prot war or feral druid are going to be tanking preferences. Gruuls is a long fight im not sure i could see a pally being able to keep aggro the whole time, particularly with waining mana.

I dont think you will ever see a pally mting a raid boss for the purpose of running out of mana.

Spiritual Attunement
. If a pally tank is running out of mana, he's either over-mitigating (out-gearing the encounter, just as warriors and druids can become rage-starved too), or there's something wrong with the healers. Mana should never be an issue for a competent tank with competent healers.

That being said, I'm personally more comfortable with a Protection Warrior when learning new 25-man content. There's a lot more forgiveness when you have nearly the armor and stamina of a druid, but can still push crushing blows off the combat table with Shield Block.

While I've seen Paladins MT SSC and TK all the way through, the stamina gap is a huge hurdle to overcome to make it viable for learning bosses. I've seen Druids do it too, but they are far more useful as an OT, because they can do some DPS after their target is dead...something Prot. Pallies and Warriors are pretty worthless at.

Likewise, I strongly recommend that all 25-man content have a DKP-like system for loot distribution, where it favors the player who sticks around, wipe after wipe, learning a new boss, over a player who shows up to "farm" content only.

Last edited:
So how many people do you think will have character's geared up for Gruul's by Oct 27th?

Any idea of the class breakdown you are looking at?

I also have no idea what kind of party breakdown is considered "cookie cutter".

Depending on the time and my children's health and general well being, Wend might be able to make it. (I hate committing to anything. I figure that was being as non-committal as possible)

Depending on the time and my children's health and general well being, Wend might be able to make it. (I hate committing to anything. I figure that was being as non-committal as possible)

Well I suppose I might have possibly understood, what you might have intended to infer, though one can never be too sure and shouldn't jump to conclusions. :p

j/k

Seriously though, I think it would be great to play with you if it works out.

More on the looting situation.
I am looking at a hidden bid system, it will be a points run. Bid what you think the item is worth. Bid takers will be designated when the loot drops.

Here is another thing that I will allow and somewhat encourage. If you want an item only if someone else does not win it you can whisper the bid taker your bid with the other persons name you do not want to out bid.

This should make the family atmosphere a little less turbulent at times :)

As is usual points are only sharable between your own characters. Still in trying to determine what the point cost and accumulation and values are.

I think for any 25 man run we will need to run some sort of DKP type system. With a smaller run like KZ odds are much greater that few people will need/want any particular drop. Even when there are a few wants it typically is between 2-3 people and rolling there is probably fine.

With 25 people odds are much greater that 5-8 players could want some items, especially more generic items like melee or caster dps items.

I think odds are with a 25 man run we will also have a lot more turnover than with a smaller 10 man run. If someone has been running gruul consistently and keeps loosing to people who show up once or maybe twice that could make for some frustrated players.

A point system will be in place before the first run. The first couple of runs might be open rolls so we can get the points rolling or I might grant everyone on that first run a set amount of points and all new comers there after will have to earn them. Not certain on that, will decide before the run starts.

Inside peak to Gruul's Lair will occur next Saturday. I am looking for at least nine volunteers to join me in trying out some of the trash mobs and getting people a look at the inside. I do not plan on tackling the bosses, just the trash.

Back