Guild Wars a la Vista

Thrain

I bought Vista a couple days ago. After about a 2 day long headache, a new network card, a new sound card, and a gashed finger, I finally got it working. I have to admit I am fairly impressed with it. It was worth the headache jus for the media center addition.

Nice man, looks pretty sweet. This is the first time I've seen Vista actually - I haven't really been paying attention to it, and when I have, all I've been hearing is mixed reviews. I'll check back with you in a month and see if you still like it. :)

I'm planning to get it next year about this time when I upgrade again. I would love to have it now but I think I'll wait for the first year's worth of bugs to get patched and hopefully buy the next release with SP1 bundled with it. Not to mention, it'll probably make me want to do that not so needed upgrade now.

Now that looks amazing.

I just hate that I just upgraded my computer, so I wont be getting Vista till later this year. Plus I need to have money on hand when the new GW campaigns come out. ;)

id love to get it, althought the base code is the same so it's just as susceptible to viruses...

Also, the aero desktop graphics does not slow down guild wars in either full screen or windowed mode from my experience.

The fancy windows switcher and the pop up when you hold mouse over the taskbar shows the game in real time.

I heard in the Nvidia forums that Vista had problems with GW. But maybe that post was a year or so ago because searched it. My friend says Vista will work with and Xp compatible Software/hardware. Bu that dosn't sound right to me.

How much RAM are you running with Vista?

I am a mobo, processor, RAM and OS away from having everything I need to build a new computer. Vista recommends 1GB RAM, was planning to start there and add more in a year or so to keep costs down right now. I'm about 80% decided that I'm going with Vista Home Premium OEM version instead of XP.

1GB minimum, for games like guild wars and counter-strike its 2 gigs. Games such as BF2 and BF2142, plunk down 4 gigs.

Right now, nvidia drivers are a bit shaky with games, ATI drivers are much better at this point.

Personally I'ma wait a few months before upgrade.

I found that in the beta (beta2 and RC1) that guild wars only worked with nvidia in windowed mode. Otherwise it would freeze up.

on the topic of compatibility, do you guys know where the bottle neck tends to be in guild wars? is it really demanding on the processor, RAM, Hard drive read speed, or video card? Just wondering what will reduce in game lag and improve speed and quality.

on the topic of compatibility, do you guys know where the bottle neck tends to be in guild wars? is it really demanding on the processor, RAM, Hard drive read speed, or video card? Just wondering what will reduce in game lag and improve speed and quality.
GW and others of its ilk(MMORPG) are memory and cpu intensive. Graphics is only there to look pretty not for maximum frames. GW was unplayable on my wife's old machine not due to the video card but the ram(only 384 megs). I rebuilt her mahcine with a gigabyte of ram and it runs smooth as silk. GW nails her new cpu at %100 whenever it's running. She doesn't get much higher frmes than i do(around 40) but the newer cpu and 1 gig of ram make the game run very very smooth. The new video card makes it look better than her old card(and better than mine truth be told). So go for cpu and ram in this genre of games.

How much RAM are you running with Vista?

I am a mobo, processor, RAM and OS away from having everything I need to build a new computer. Vista recommends 1GB RAM, was planning to start there and add more in a year or so to keep costs down right now. I'm about 80% decided that I'm going with Vista Home Premium OEM version instead of XP.

for cpu..go with the E6400 or higher series from intel right now. Ram no less than 2 gigs..i would go for four gigs if you can afford it.

Back