Ninja Gaiden

TrigunX89

I've been drooling over NG for the last couple of months now... I got my hands on the playable demo, and it is great! Or is it? Well you see, I'm debating whether to get it, based on appropriateness. I know it's rated M, and I am only 15, but my parents are leaving it up to me to choose.

It is a very fun game! The main problem is that the whole game basically requires you to run around slashing people's heads off, and stuff like that, while performing cool ninja moves and solving puzzles. The heads flying off was a bit shocking when I first saw the trailer, but after playing the game, it doesn't really bother me. It all disappears quickly.

Anyway, this is a very fun game, but very violent. I, personally, am not really bothered by it, but is that a bad thing? If anyone here knows much about the game, maybe they could give me their thoughts. Thanks.

Same here, violence and gore in games has never bothered me, smae for movies, and on a few occasions, in real life. When buying a game, violence and blood really play no role in making my decision unless its something that I know my little bro, who watches all the games I play, does not need to see. When DOOM 3 comes out, thatll be a game I only play on occasions when hes not around.

If it dont bother you and you arent playing the game for some odd reason like taking pleasure out seeing heads fly, lol, then Id say go for it if you like the game. Just my opinion anyhow.

Cool, thanks. No, I'm not playing it to se heads fly lol. And I'm the youngest and only kid still living at home, so I don't have to worry about scaring anyone.

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered it from ebgames with the free wall scroll, $10 voucher, and free shipping.

Is anyone else here planning on getting the game when it comes out?

If it was on gcn or pc, dont know what its on, lol, I might have looked into it, Ill play most games that are supposed to be decent, whether or not they are a type of game I like, lol.

Lol that's cool. This game is exclusively on Xbox though. It's one of Xbox's most anticipated games of the year. Right up there with Halo 2, Fable, Doom 3, and some others.

Probably why I didnt know what system it was on, I tend to not keep up on console games, and occasionally buy on for my GCN if I happen to be out shopping and see something thats supposed to be good, altho out of the 8-10 games Ive bought for it, only 4 have been worth playing more then once, lol.

Yeah, I've found that most of my GCN games don't have too much lasting appeal. If you're looking for a good one, I'd suggest Viewtiful Joe or F-Zero GX. But that's just me.
smile.gif

This game sounds awesome, and the violence doesn't bother me, but from what I can tell, the supporting female character doesn't like to wear clothes, so she gets by with the absolute bare minimum. I hope this isn't true, but I would be surprised if this isn't the case
sad.gif
I'd like to hear your impressions about the game when you get it.

Sure thing! I'll let ya know, and maybe even write a review. It should take me a long time to beat it though. I hear it's a 20 hour game, and I have a bad habit of getting stuck in the middle of a game and then losing interest...

It is true, that there is a female character in the game that doesn't where too much clothing. I do not know, however, how often she makes her appearance in the game. To give you an idea, if you have ever played Soul Calibur 1 or 2, think of Ivy's costume. It's similar. I think both characters are butt-ugly anyway though. I think they're too manly and gross me out lol. But that's just me...

Well, I currently have the game, and I've been playing it since last Thursday, however I came to a decision about it yesterday and I am planning to sell it.

The Good
-----------

The graphics and game play are awesome!  There were many times that I lost focus on what I was supposed to be doing next due to simply exploring the game environment.  The water effects are amazing, the video cut scenes are jaw dropping, and the in-game graphics are beautiful.

The controls are easy to learn, but it will take a lot of practice if you truly want to master them.  The are different sets of moves for each weapon, the weapons are upgradeable, and you can unlock even more moves as you play through the game.  It's kind of like playing a fighting game as an adventure game.

The variety of commands available to your character, such as wall running, wall jumping, running on water, etc., makes the platform puzzles challenging yet fun.  Many of the moves are similar to Prince of Persia, but I'd say that Ninja Gaiden does a better job.  

As for replay value, the game is very difficult on Normal mode, and there is Hard and Very Hard modes after completing Normal.  There are also quite a few items to collect including golden scarabs, new weapons, and new moves, beating the game will unlock a new costume and sword, and can also unlock the original three Ninja Gaiden games by performing various tasks.

Also, coming in May will be a tournament in which the content will be streamed directly through Xbox Live to the Xbox.  I could be mistaken, however based upon my understanding; the tournament will be single player levels that you play through to get the best possible score.  Your score will most likely then be compared with other player's scores around the world.

The Bad
---------

One very minor complaint I had was the camera.  It isn't too bad and it's better than in most 3rd person adventure games, but it still gets a little annoying in confined areas.  As I said though, it is a very minor complaint.  The camera really isn't too bad and it can be centered behind your character by simply pressing the right trigger button.

One thing that I should also point out is that this game is bloody.  VERY BLOODY!  In defeating the enemies, they disappear in a bloody mess.  Also, very often in defeating many of the opponents, you will see their heads flying off.  Fortunately the blood doesn't hang around; otherwise the levels would quickly be bathed in red.  Of course if you buy or rent the game, you are warned of the Violence and Blood and Gore on the back of the case.

The Ugly
----------

This is the part where the 'From a Christian Perspective' comes in.

Ninja games tend to go hand in hand with Eastern religions.  Ninja Gaiden is not an exception.  Throughout the story, you will find many references to demons and gods and you will find a lot of symbols that tie in with paganistic beliefs.

Another problem that needs to be noted which was not mentioned on the back of the box in the 'M' rating is the fact that Team Ninja remained faithful in their tradition of having one or more female characters of unrealistic proportions wearing as little clothing as possible.

In Summation
----------------

The beautiful graphics and exciting game play makes Ninja Gaiden a very addictive game.  However, due to the paganistic beliefs, scantily clad characters, and bloody graphics, I would recommend that Christians run away from the ninja.

Game Play: A
Sound: A
Graphics: A
Appropriateness: F
Controls: A

OVERALL RATING:  F
(due to the inappropriate content in this game, I am unable to recommend it)

That's fine. It may need a little polishing up though. I wrote it pretty quick and I tend to find a lot of spelling and gramatical typos on my rough drafts.

I'll see if I can polish it up tonight and/or tomorrow. That would be cool though. My 3rd ccgr review.
biggrin.gif

dang look at my question, meant to say can we use...heh Your grammar is fine compared to mine!

Wow, nice review!  I just got the game today.  I agree with you for the most part.  However, The game gets an A in everything except appropriateness.  Yet the overall score still gets an F.  Shouldn't it at least get a B or C overall?
rock.gif

Well, you can adjust it as you feel appropriate, however I added the (not an average) comment for a reason. I kind of borrowed the idea of that from some christian movie reviews I read on a regular basis.

I felt that the appropriateness of it brought it down too much. Of course, the grades could just be left off. Not all the reviews on CCGR are using them.

I made some changes with the assistance of my wife and I think it's ready for you to do whatever you'd like with it.

This review will probably tick some people off, but that's ok.  I just tried being honest about my impressions.

It's also probably worth noting that I was able to return Ninja Gaiden last night and I exchanged it for another game.

nothing wrong with honesty, if people really agree or disagree with it, that's what the comment button is for. did you submit it throught the site? you can also e-mail it to ccgr@ccgr.org

Back