Planetgate Chronicles: PLG-1

Malohaut

Rumors came drifting into town, rumors of a great discovery. Something about an artifact of great power being unearthed and studied. But that was it. Nothing more was heard. I talked at length about it while visiting my neighbors, but Onestory didn't know much more than that. So I made my decision. After feeding my animals, I would venture out into the woods, into the North, and see if I could find this "artifact" that the rumors spoke of.

Sure enough, it did not take long before I encountered the ring. It was close enough to home and close enough to Simpson Mountain that it took less than a day to read. The artifact appears to be a giant, hollow ring with glowing symbols on the side, and whoever had unearthed it went ahead and erected and activated it too. A giant portal from the looks of it.

Though to deepen the mystery, there were worker tools scattered about. What became of them? Did they open the portal and die? Were they taken? Were they raptured? Dare I venture through this portal to find answers? And if I did, just what would I find? And whom?

I must head back to my ship for now as the sun is setting. Perhaps I will return to brave this portal. Hopefully, I can come back afterward.

(I don't know if you want contributions -- I'm guessing not but I really wanted to throw out a fun little piece -- and this story hinges on the assumption that it is a two-way gate so it may not even fit... but I hope some of you get a laugh out of it. Feel free to ignore it in your story progression!)

As I ate dinner, with my faithful wolf by my side (begging for more steak as usual, since he seems to favor that over Rotten Flesh for some strange reason), I continued to wonder about this grand device.

I thought, "If I could build a robot with an array of sensors, I would have a way of determining what this device might do." I had experimented with some rocks, and those that I threw in did not come out the other side, so my assumption is that they went somewhere. I admit, I have large amounts of cobblestone I do not need, but such a device to simply eliminate it seems impractical, when a handy pool of lava achieves the same. Alas, the idea seemed in vain, as I have not ever been able to construct even the beginnings of such a robot on my crafting table. The intricate redstone circuitry alone seems beyond what anyone has done.

Then my gaze fell upon my wolf companion, again. "Hm.... what if I were to send a wolf in?" If there was something on the other side... if this was a gate of some sort... then perhaps a wolf would be able to cross and return? This would be a good test! I, of course, was hesitant to send my own wolf, having developed an affection for him.

I took a stroll to Shepherd's land, and found some wolves there. I chose an intelligent-looking one, and with a simple half of a steak of persuasion, I was soon on my way back to the ring device. The collar the wolf had would be a nice bonus -- should he return, I could be sure of his identity.

When we reached the structure, I could tell the wolf was nervous. He did not know what to make of it either. But fortunately, wolves are easily distracted. I took a stick from my inventory and shook it up and down a few times until the wolf was frantically bouncing, eager to fetch it. With a wave of my arm, the stick flew into the center of the device and disappeared, just as expected. Also as I had hoped, the wolf took off after it, oblivious to any danger. In a split second, it too was gone.

Then... I waited. A twinge of guilt struck, but I quickly brushed it away. I remembered the day, not too long ago, that Shepherd had filled my house with chickens. I love fried chicken, but it does get old by the second week straight. And the mess... oh that smell took weeks to finally leave. Nah, there were plenty of wolves out there. And anyway, I truly hoped this wolf would come back to me.

It seemed like several minutes went by, but I suppose it could have been seconds distorted by the anticipation. Waiting for a sign... wondering how long I should stay here if the wolf did not return quickly... listening to a zombie groan somewhere beneath my feet... when suddenly, something jumped out at me from the stone circle! It was the wolf, stick in its mouth, running back to me! To my delight, there seemed to be nothing wrong with it as it dropped the stick at my feet! No signs of attack, no fearful expression, no apparent distress from the environment it was just in, just the excited stare of a wolf wanting for all the world to go run after this stick again.

I gave it a good rub on the head, and set out for home (with a detour to return the wolf), my mind full of questions. So where did this go? Should I try it next? What should I bring? Armor, weapons, food... When should I go?

And if we could go through... could something come to us???

(I don't know if you want contributions -- I'm guessing not but I really wanted to throw out a fun little piece -- and this story hinges on the assumption that it is a two-way gate so it may not even fit... but I hope some of you get a laugh out of it. Feel free to ignore it in your story progression!)

This is the Tribe of Judah server, and so Tribe of Judah is more than welcome to participate and contribute. While I have some plans in the work, at least about this first world. So you're all more than welcome to contribute.

And yes, it *is* a two way gate because we've already got something coming out of it! Though we don't have to RP / note that until later if you want.

It wasn't long before I had made my preparations. Rations, arrows, bow, sword, clock and bible. I seemed to be set and ready to visit the new world. But what would it hold, and was it even a good idea to travel through? Fortunately, though, I met a neighbor along the way. Los. Good fellow. Met his wife too once. Sweet as a kitten. But I digress. He shared with me some of the experiments he performed on the portal with the wolf going through and coming back. That much at least eased my mind. However, Los wasn't very at ease at all. He still held reservations about if there was any danger or not. So we both came to a decision. I would go through the portal and see what was on the other side. He would stay behind and build a shelter and keep a close eye on it just in case.

I'll continue my writings on the other side!

Oh, I see, we can role play ourselves.
I wrote that previous clip as a continuation of your story, as you. :D
Back to my body, then!

Last edited:
Los

As I watched Koa head through, I said a quick prayer. In an instant, he was gone. We had decided I would wait here until he got back. Or until I gave up hope. We didn't really discuss how long that would be. He did have some nice stuff at his house, and he never let me drive his airship yet... Wait. Am I horrible for thinking that? No, I'll say practical! That's it... just planning for many scenarios.

Anyway, I set my thoughts toward a shelter. Something to keep the zombies out, the rain out, and ... anything else out. The land around the gate, for that is what the device seems to be, contains many natural caves and tunnels. I walked around a bit. Across the small lake, I discovered a small cave just under the surface. "This should do nicely... less digging for me, and it has a great view of the gate." Just the right view with a little distance... perfect. After all, I didn't know what kind of radiation this thing may emit. I don't want all my hair to fall out. Best to not be right in its shadow.

I found an entrance to the small cave hidden in the hill. I dug the floor a little deeper (I hate hitting my head all the time) and made my way to the natural window. I debated between camouflage and strength, and decided to go with the latter. I replaced the dirt around the opening with cobble that I had just mined. After all, something coming through this way was just speculation... but everyone knows the effects of loose soil for walls. The late Kukic was a sad testimony to the need for bracing and support... May we never forget him and the lesson he made so clear.

I had noticed another cave only a few meters away, with another natural opening. I started digging where I thought it would be, and found it. This second cave had the advantage of heading down into the ground further. I had good access to more coal, stone, and iron via that. There was another window, so I fortified that one as well. I made a chest to hold some tools for later. I wasn't planning on staying here long-term, but having a couple extras is better than realizing your pick just broke and you don't have stone to make another good one. (I hate making wood tools, they are such a waste.)

Looking out, I saw no activity yet. I wasn't sure if Koa would come back right away and let me know he was okay, or explore for a bit first. Hindsight says I should have asked for the former... it would have eased my mind a bit. Oh well, too late now.

BL

I overheard some folks talking of a rumor of a giant ring that found in the North. What could this be? One of the patrons said he overheard Koa talking, and thought it might be a portal to another world. I left as soon as I heard, and headed straight to his house, saddened to not find him home. I thought about waiting for him, as he may just be at the market, but I didn't see him while I was there, and I know we didn't cross paths on my way here. I also notice his animals had a stockpile of food, almost like he knew he was going to be gone for a while. On my way home from Koa's house that night, I contemplated what I had over heard, and decided that I needed to see it for myself.

Early the next morning I gathered the supplies I thought I would need for the journey, and set off north. After a full days travel, I finally spotted it through the trees. The sight of it made me weak to my knees, and I almost fell over. As I approached closer, extra cautiously, cause the sun had gone down, I noticed that mobs wouldn't even spawn near it.. What did they know that I didn't? As I stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at the ring, I couldnt help but feel small. Loosing my nerve, I turned around, and started making my home, when I spotted a light in hill. I made my way there, hoping for shelter. As I approached, I noticed what appeared to be a bunker of some sort. I instantly felt safe, as the design had Los written all over it..

It took me a minute to find the entrance in the dark, another sign that Los had been here. Inside I found a chest of tools, torches, and snowballs. (How he is keeping them from melting, I will prolly never know..) I decided to wait the night out here, as it seemed secure enough. Ill go back to the ring tomorrow...

It was the oddest series of events as I sit here in a hanging cage writing this entry. Though I suppose it would help readers if I start from the beginning. Who knows if I make it out of here, or if someone finds this journal next to a skeleton. Wouldn't that be fun?

So it started off with me, finally braving the planetgate. Had everything I needed, including Los's prayers ... and stepped on through. I could not even accurately describe the feeling my body went through as for a brief minute, I felt as if I was everywhere ... and nowhere all at the same time. Not pain ... not pleasure ... but something inbetween, something just as intense. ... Whatever the case, I emerged on the other side, and there before me was a grand cityscape. There were windmills, houses, and shops for sure, but there were also sky walkways and great towers and airships everywhere! Such beautiful craftsmanship! Such masterful designs! I figured, as a captain of my own ship, I could be appreciated, and fit in. ...

But there weren't a lot of people around. The streets were largely empty save for the occational passing by of a chicken or a gnat of sorts. This, of course, may have been due to the fact that the sun had long set, and the moon was at its zenith. ... However, there *was* a sound that caught my attention, a ruckus of sorts. Human voices! ... *Raised* human voices. I followed the sound as best I could and came to what looked like a meeting hall. Inside were seated several men of varying importance, at least according to their outfits and uniforms. Captains, military, dignitaries, all easily identified. What they were discussing, I could not tell as they all grew disturbingly quiet at my arrival. What I could determine was that they were not pleased.

I was immediately taken into custody and brought to a dark room somewhere, my every item stripped from me. They asked so many questions that I just couldn't keep up. Who are we? Where did we come from? Why did we activate the planet gate? What was our purpose here? Sure enough, I answered as best I could, at least *my* intentions anyway as a peaceful explorer. Although they didn't like that answer, especially with me being so armed, they seemed to accept it and change the line of questioning. They seemed most interested in my world, the Land of Judah. Although we are not many, we are a land of peace and a land of God. I tried to explain that too and they were eager to absorb every tidbit I had to share.

Perhaps I shouldn't have done that. Perhaps I should have kept my tongue. I really don't know. All I know is that now, I sit in this ice-cold cage with naught but some crusty bread and unfiltered water to sustain me. Though they did allow me to keep my journal, but for what reason they would not say. Still, I have a good view of the planetgate, as well as a good view of the airships around me. And let me tell you, they are a buzz with activity. They seem to b

Woah! Just saw one of the ships fly across the city and go through the portal. Looks like other ships are planning on doing the same. Just what is going on around here? If worse comes to worse, if I can get out of this cage, there is a dock nearby with three unmanned ships. I might be able to take one in the dead of night and fly out of here. But to get out of this cage is first priority ... and for that ... I'll trust to God's timing.

As I sit here in the dark staring at the ring, pondering what it could be for, I notice that it is starting to turn a different color in the middle. I jump up so I can get better look at it, and out of no where a flying ship comes through. I have seen these before, looks very much like Koa's, but a lot smaller.. Possibly a scout ship? Its moving through the air very fast, must be a scout ship..

Wait, what was that? There is a noise coming from below me? Have they come through underground too?

I grab my sword, and a torch, and prepare for a fight....

Days pass and more ships seem to pass through the portal. I have no idea what their plan is. But what I do know is that the hinges of this door are extremely rusty. With prayer, a little bit of strength, and persistance, I may be able to break out of here.

It was the dead of night when the hinges broke free! While most of the citizens rested, I was able to climb out and get back up on the railing. There were guards about, sure, but they were too busy gazing at the planetgate to notice. Unfortunately, it was only a matter of time before I was spotted. But by that time, I had already slipped aboard one of their ships and got it through the portal before they could fire. Hopefully I can make my ship, unharmed, by the morning.

Well, as you can imagine, it gets rather boring sitting by yourself, watching a weird gateway do nothing. I decided to make this bunker even better. "Better" being a subjective term. I'm sure a bathroom and rugs would make it much better in some people's eyes, namely females, but that wasn't on my mind. I'm the kind of person who realizes "I should have brought ______" after he's already left. While I had been exploring the caves, I had gotten down to the lava level. I had my bucket and diamond axe with me on this trip, so I returned to the lava to harvest some obsidian. I planned to make a Nether portal.

On my way back up, I thought I heard something above me. It startled me so much I dropped some of the obsidian! I quietly gathered it back up as I listened. The noise had stopped. I bet whatever was up there certainly knew -I- was here, thanks the ruckus I had just made. "I lit the place... did a monster get in? Oh, I bet a spider could get through the window... I forgot to plan for that. Doh! So, is it a spider, or someone, or something?"

I quietly crept up the blocks, sword in hand, and poked my head as little as possible around the wall...
Oh good! It's Ben! Fear gave way to relief, which quickly gave way to panic, as I saw Ben had his sword poised for a strike. Before he could give me a vertical haircut, I ducked back around and said "Don't swing! It's me!"

"Oh, Hey Los!" he said, sounding relieved as well.

I walked out, glad to see a friend here. "Man, good to see you, Ben! Now I'll have someone to talk to! What do you think of this thing?" I said, pointing out the window somewhat casually. As I asked, though, I could see he wasn't calming down as much as I was, after our mutual scare.
"Did you see the ship come through?" Ben asked me, clearly worried.
"WHAT?" I exclaimed. "Something came through? Was it Koa?!"
"Koa?! He went in that thing? Where does it go?" came Ben's reply.
"Wait wait, we're getting nowhere... I'll tell you what's happened, and you tell me what happened since I was down in the mine."

So we related the events we'd seen to each other.

"Where did the scout ship go?" I asked. Ben pointed south.

"I wonder if Koah is on any of these..." I asked. "But they haven't landed here; It seems more like they are looking around, exploring." Ben agreed.

"I told Koah I would wait here for him. I'll keep an eye on things here, and I want to build this Nether portal. What do you want to do? Stay here or go see where that scout went?"

"I'll help you with the portal. I doubt I'm going to catch that ship on foot, so the portal will be the best way for me to find them again." Ben said. So we built the Nether portal, and found it was very close to the others.

"This will work out great," Ben said. "It will be easy for us to get back and forth now."

I thought for a moment... "But wait... I don't want any uninvited guests popping up in my castle whenever they feel like." There aren't any options for turning the portals on and off, so instead I warped back to my castle to make an alternate option. I quickly crafted some TNT and grabbed some redstone. Back to the bunker! I rigged up a "self-destruct," in case we had to evacuate and "blow the place." Of course, this might all be overkill. But it's fun to do. :)

As I was finishing, I heard a strange noise from outside. Several strange noises. We both looked and saw there were ships, similar to Koa's, floating through the gate! Ben had described them well, but it still made me gasp to see them for real. There were no blades spinning, like Koa's ship... I wondered how they stayed in the air? Maybe that huge structure above them? It was the only major difference between Koa's and theirs. Well, since they had no large props on top, I also noticed the noise they made was much, much less.

Several ships had come through now. They were all staying near the gate for the moment. Ben and I looked at each other, both wondering what this turn of events meant. The sun was setting. What would the new day bring?

Last edited:
Since the ships weren't landing or trying to make contact, I decided to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I left Ben to watch the gate and hurried back home.

Our castle was built well. But it was not ready for a defensive test. In particular, I was worried about the ships being able to fly and so get in from the top. Quickly I replaced our front door with a steel door and added a button on the outside. We could easily disconnect the button to prevent entry. I also sealed the top of the castle, adding a hatch to the ladder, a set of steel doors at the top of the last flight of stairs, and blocked up the center opening.

Being now well into the night, my wife and I went to bed, though how much sleep we actually got, thanks to all the excitement and questions, is unknown.

The next day I continued to think about our house.

We had water, food, lots of supplies... we could hole up here for a while. The castle was obvious, so we would have to rely on strength instead of stealth. I constructed some cannons [Dispensers, but with the next update they can shoot Fire Charges like Ghasts!] and mounted them on each side of the castle. I placed them in pairs, with a good view of the surroundings.

If others should need a secure place (and most dwellings were not as well-equipped as ours), I figured we would need more beds. A quick relocation of the brewing station and I had room to add two bedrooms.

As I worked on the castle itself, my wife set about to build a larger shelter underneath, utilizing the hill we were situated on. She made tremendous progress in a short time! A huge dining area, a large bunkhouse, and an armory... all set for use! I added a passage-way from our castle to this new construction, installing a security checkpoint where either side could close their respective steel door to block entrance from the other side.

As I was walking to our food storage for a bite to eat, something caught my eye out the window. An airship! I ran to the window to get a better look. Yes, one right here! Within an arrow flight!

Why did they come over here? Why did it stop there? It was nearer to Serp's place than ours, but the proximity was still unnerving. I didn't really WANT to have to use these preparations... If it passed through, that would be one thing... but this one was stopped. I still am amazed at how quiet the ships are. One could drift over to us in the middle of the night and we'd never know!

Were they friendly? Did Serp get to meet them? I thought I saw someone walking on the deck of the ship, but I was too far away to make out any details. I hoped Serp was okay and that he would tell us about these newcomers.

"I should tell Ben about this." I didn't want to be long, obviously. I thought we should also warn everyone else we could. I felt bad for not going to Serp's right away yesterday. Now I would have to sneak over there to check on him. But first, to Ben...

After Los had left the bunker, to go fortify his place, I hunkered down, hoping to stay out of sight. More and more ships kept pouring through the gate, there had to be at least seven or eight with what I am still calling the scout.. I continued to watch them in silence as they start moving away from the gate. It looks like they are heading to the small mountain peaks behind the gate.

After a short time, all of the ships seem to grow still, maybe they anchored to the mountain. What could they be doing up there? I need to find out. I pack a small bag of food, and weapons, and set out for them. I can hear voices yelling as I get closer. I do my best to get as close as I can to listen in, but all the voices are muffled still.. I dare to take a peak over the ridge, and am amazed at what I see! They are building buildings, and fast. I have never seen building go up so fast! In my surprise, I step on a loose rock and cringe as I hear it bounce down the mountain. I stay still for a second, to see if anyone heard it, and just as I was about to peak back over, satisfied no one heard it, a bunch of rocks start falling; The first one must have loosened them..

I quickly stand up, and am face to face with one of them. I stare at them for what seems like for ever, in complete shock. The silence is broken as he screams "Someones here! Someones here!" I take that as my queue to leave, and start running as fast as I can back down the mountain. As I look behind me, I see at least 5 people pursuing me. Good thing I know these hills better than they do..

I make it down to flatter ground, and am able to hide myself in the trees. I watch as the 5 pursuers give up, and start to make their way back. When I am comfortable that they have left, I come out of hiding, and head back to the bunker.

When I arrive, I go back to the window to see if I can still see where they are at, and get a big surprise. One of the larger ships is out there, staring right at me. How did they find it? I quickly look around, and slap my forehead... The torches. Of course. Its night, meaning dark. The light stands out like a sore thumb... I quickly head for the chests that Los has set up, and grab what ever I can hold in my hands.. I run back for the portal and as I am standing in it, reaching for the self destruct button Los installed, I see a terrifying sight. What looks like a cannon has been released from the bottom of the ship and is shooting directly towards the bunker! I quickly smack the button, and jump through the portal...

Only to land in Los's arms...

"You dont want to go that way my friend.." I say as we both stand back up and look towards the portal, who's light has just went out...

While working on my underwater city, I noticed this huge ark type thing on top of the mountain. I decided to venture up and see what it was. Found out it was Koah's Ark! Since I was so close to Los's house, I decided it has been awhile since I had placed a random sign for Los, so I ventured over to do just that. As I walk in to Los & Kit's house, I see Ben in Los's arms. Oh my!!! Wonder if Kit knows about this?! Both of them begin to quickly explain the scene. It is so confusing, I tell them both just to "SHhhushhh!" Then they take turns, although not very calmly, telling me about the events of the past few days.

"So you have no idea where Koa is?" They both shake their heads no. "And no one has went looking for him? They look at each other and then back at me and shake their heads no. "And all you can do is stand here embracing each other!"

Then the big question hit me. "Why do these ships look so much like his?" We all just stare at each other as we contemplate the implications of this question.

OT: -bl's sad-

Someone blew up the bunker without me.. :(

Lol. You're op... undo it and blow it up again! :D

I didn't know you wanted to... sorry. :(
I didn't use the TNT because I figured they wouldn't work. I did erase/place.

(btw, what's OT?)

Lol. You're op... undo it and blow it up again! :D

I didn't know you wanted to... sorry. :(
I didn't use the TNT because I figured they wouldn't work. I did erase/place.

(btw, what's OT?)

Its ok :) I wanted to do it this morning, but was waiting for you cause it was your bunker. :) I was going to enable TNT, and have Koah record it and everything... :p And I could undo id, but its a lot of work.. :p

And OT means Off Topic, meaning it wasnt part of the story line :)

Actually, it's perfect the way it is. I've already got a shot of a "streaming" missile. Now when I get home tonight, I'll do a quick film shot of the burning bunker.

I still want a good pass-by shot of Lost and his wife sometime. :D Maybe on their castle looking at the cross or something.

I, Captain Koah Johnson, was safe from capture. I had just enjoyed a nice steak meal that Chef Krasnov had just prepared before relaxing in my lounge with some classical music playing. It was pretty selfish of me to be doing this as I had never really gotten back to Mr. Lost. For all he knew, I was still through the wormhole somewhere. Plus, what if he decided to come find me? What then?

These questions haunted me enough to get suited up and armed. Much to my first officer's displeasure, I set out in the dead of night to investigate the planetgate once more. XO Jones would just have to watch over the Catakou until my return.

The journey through the forest was relatively painless as I slipped past moaners and bone archers to reach the bunker ... or at least what was left of the bunker!

So here is where I sit. Here is where I write, in the smouldering ruins of Lost's bunker. Fortunately, I do not see any signs of a body, so perhaps he made it out safely. But that is the least of my worries. The planetgate is off! Shut down! Whether by its own means or by someone else, that has yet to be determined. What I *can* see are dotted lights upon the distant mountains. My guess is that it is related to the Skylord's fleet that had come to our world. But I dare not draw closer to verify this.

I'll stay here, hunkered down, until dawn's first light, when I'll make my way back to town. Maybe others will have more information as to what's going on?

Back