Pokemon Thread

Kendrik

Staff member
Now that the chapter includes DS games, it seems a great time to look for other Pokemon fans. I hope I'm not the only one.

Would be awesome to have some people to train, trade, and battle with. Definitely post up if you have one of the games or interest in the series.

Last edited:
Does a Gerbil in a ball count as a Pokemon? :p ...wait it just occurred to me they could sell plastic hamster balls that were transparently colored like Pokeballs... wait they probably don't that could end badly the first time a kid throws one XD ....

I played Pokemon yellow on gameboy a very long time ago but that is it for my Pokemon experience, sorry.

Last edited:
Way to rock that OG Pokemon. Back then, my younger brother was the one who "loved Pokemon," but he'd get a book from the library... and I'd end up being the one memorizing all the stats and skills. I used to have like... all the info on the original 150 down.

Now, I don't even know all of the names.

But I'm about to learn all of the names for Black and White... which look phenom.

Sigh.... around 13 years ago I was very into Pokemon... I had both Red and Blue version for my Gameboy Color.

I'm getting a DS (the DSi XL 25th anniversary edition... :D) and Pokemon Silver with it.

Sigh.... around 13 years ago I was very into Pokemon... I had both Red and Blue version for my Gameboy Color.

I'm getting a DS (the DSi XL 25th anniversary edition... :D) and Pokemon Silver with it.
Bump for newly approved post.

/unashamed Tekism

I'm 24, and I have no problem whatsoever declaring my Pokemon love. It's awesome. I heart SoulSilver. :D

Bump for newly approved post.
I only do that for posts that were formerly held in the moderation queue but which I recently approved (and thus made visible to everyone).

Just for reference. :D

In my desperation for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I sold my Pokemon since they were actually worth money. Realistically, aside from completionist tendencies, I have no need for more than one Pokemon game. Soooo... not the end of the world with Black/White on the way. (And, against my trend toward hating selling games, I don't actually regret this decision. MvC3 is just that awesome to me.)

But now I gotta get Black or White. Leaning toward White since most folks I know seem to want Black. But... either way... so much win. Reading up on it on Serebii.net only increases my hype.

I've been playing Pokemon Black on my DS since it's one of the easiest games to pick up, play for a while, and put down quickly when a baby starts crying. :)

I defeated Nimbasa Gym Leader Elesa last night, bringing my total number of Gym Badges to four. My current team is: Sandile, Pansage, Tympole, Woobat, Blitzle, and Pignite.

Other than playing about 30 minutes of Pokemon SoulSilver, I'm a noob to Pokemon. I'm sure there are things I'm missing on my first pass, so if anyone has any general non-spoiler advice, I'd love to hear it. :)

You're ahead of me. :O

Elesa's stupid Electic/Flying Pokemon crush me. My Ground Pokemon can't hit 'em... and my only Rock attack is chillin' with my Fire/Fighting Pokemon... which gets owned by Aerial Ace. So, I'm grinding while hunting down a Rock or Ice TM to take them scrubs out.

General tips? Don't fear grinding. I went beasting on Victini time and time again to easymode level up my party to 20s across the board in a short time.

Then again, I know you don't fear leveling...

...for great justice.

Last edited:
You're ahead of me. :O
To be fair, I've spent more time playing Pokemon Black than any other game since the baby arrived. Portable gaming + pause button + quick access to save = parent-friendly.

Aside from being parent-friendly, Pokemon is what I've come to call "comfort gaming"--you know what to expect, you don't have to be concerned about objectionable material, and you know you're playing a well-designed game (yes, Game Freak is an awesome company).

It seems that majority opinion regarding Pokemon goes in phases:
  • Young child: Pokemon is awesome. I play it, my friends play it, and I'm gonna be the best there ever was.
  • Adolescents: Pokemon is dumb. It's for little kids. Pokemon is so two years ago. I'm gonna go pout, listen to and derive my identity from counter-cultural music generated and marketed by a multibillion dollar industry, and pirate Grand Theft Auto IV because it has swear words and hookers and guns and my stupid parents don't want me to play it.
  • Young adult: Pokemon is fine for children, but I'm more interested in playing Counter-Strike, Halo, or some other generic, done-to-death space marine deathmatch game.
  • New parent: Oh, Pokemon! I loved it when I was a kid and I bet my kids will love it, too.
  • 30-year old married new parent: I'm married, I have a child, and I could not care less what other people think. Pokemon is fun, I'm going to play it, and I'm going to enjoy it. And I hope my child likes it too so we can play together when they get older.
Yes, I'm in that last group and I'm loving it.

Elesa's stupid Electic/Flying Pokemon crush me. My Ground Pokemon can't hit 'em... and my only Rock attack is chillin' with my Fire/Fighting Pokemon... which gets owned by Aerial Ace.
Elesa's Emolgas (what IS the plural of Emolga?) were tough, but my Pignite was already past level 30 by that point, so I was able to narrowly take them down even while weak to Aerial Ace. I...may have used other Pokemon, too, I don't recall. I earned that Gym Badge at about 3 a.m. yesterday.

So, I'm grinding while hunting down a Rock or Ice TM to take them scrubs out.
So electric Pokemon are weak to Rock or Ice.

/me takes notes

General tips? Don't fear grinding.
I don't feel like I've had to grind yet, but I've also had Tepig/Pignite as my opening Pokemon for nearly my entire run so far. I also gave him Charcoal and have taken my time to capture one of each wild Pokemon (that I know of) and explore all available areas, including the first floor of Relic Castle.

I went beasting on Victini time and time again to easymode level up my party to 20s across the board in a short time.
I captured Victini in my first fight against him. Was that...unwise?

Then again, I know you don't fear leveling...

...for great justice.
If it is indeed for great justice (and, perhaps even more importantly, if the battle system is fun and complex enough), then no, I don't mind leveling.

It seems that majority opinion regarding Pokemon goes in phases:
Yes, I'm in that last group and I'm loving it.
Those groups who shun Pokemon due to image issues make me sad. It's amazing. :p0

So electric Pokemon are weak to Rock or Ice.

/me takes notes
Nein! Electric is weak to Ground, but Emolga is Elec/Flying. Flying can't get hit by moves like Dig... which are the general go-to for destroying Electric types. Flying is weak to Rock and Ice (at least I think it's weak to Ice). Since my Ground stuff can't hit it, I have to go for alternate means of victory.

I captured Victini in my first fight against him. Was that...unwise?
lolno... it was just an opportunity for quick leveling.

If it is indeed for great justice (and, perhaps even more importantly, if the battle system is fun and complex enough), then no, I don't mind leveling.
Everything is for great justice. :p

I nabbed the gen V geodude guy (cant remember his name) lvled him to 25 and just threw him against Elsea, he easily took out the Emolgas and then face planted against the Blitzle. I don't remember what I used to take out Blitzle, but it worked at the end so there we go!

Currently stuck on fighting my rival because I have 3 pokes weak to water =P and my Pansage is nowhere near close enough to fighting his water starter.

w00t, just took down Gym Leader #5! Used Basculin (with Quick Claw), Swadloon (with Miracle Seed), and Tympole (with Exp. Share). Tympole evolved into Palpitoad after the fight.

'Twas my first fight against a Gym Leader where I didn't bring Tepig/Pignite. :)

w00t, just took down Gym Leader #5! Used Basculin (with Quick Claw), Swadloon (with Miracle Seed), and Tympole (with Exp. Share). Tympole evolved into Palpitoad after the fight.

'Twas my first fight against a Gym Leader where I didn't bring Tepig/Pignite. :)
El Fuego, as I call mine, is the backbone of my team. :p

I name all my Pokemon now... for the lulz.

El Fuego, as I call mine, is the backbone of my team. :p
"El Fuego." <3 it. :)

I name all my Pokemon now... for the lulz.
I haven't given any of my Pokemon nicknames yet because I know I'd spend more time deciding on names than playing the game. I did received a pre-nicknamed Bacsulin ("Redeye") in a trade with a NPC in Driftveil City, though. He's my only nicknamed 'mon so far.

Back