POLL! About 1.8 and our map!

New Map on 1.8 release or After bukkit is updated?

• New map. When 1.8 is released

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Stay on the current one. Wait for bukkit to update

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ProSimm

Hello people of the minecraft chapter. It's time for those new and exciting updates! Now with this coming update are loads of goodies and features! But we cannot use these features unless we use a new map while bukkit is down. We will have our current world FOR SURE (unless.... it some how gets corrupted...)when bukkit is back up. Just heres a poll that if we want to have the 1.8 map as soon as its released or rather later when bukkits next build is up.

I know we've talked about moving stuff from the current world to the new 1.8 world but I'd like to reconsider that.

The adventure update has a leveling feature. I'd love to see everyone start off the 1.8 world on the same footing. No transfer of stuff from the old world.

Then it's all about what you do instead of what you've done.

Maybe let everyone start with an adventurers pack of some wood, torches, a set of tools and some porkchops.

I think Wolf has a point - to a point.

I think that nothing should be moved until after buckit has been updated and stuff can be secured. That will give us all time to do some of the adventure stuff and pick some spots to settle in, etc. So basically when I'm voting for the new map, I'd like it to just be that, the new map and THEN later on, stuff can be moved over.

I know I'm very new here, but I would agree with abea. I've seen some very cool stuff on the server and it would be a shame to lose all that hard work.

I think Wolf has a point - to a point.

I think that nothing should be moved until after buckit has been updated and stuff can be secured. That will give us all time to do some of the adventure stuff and pick some spots to settle in, etc. So basically when I'm voting for the new map, I'd like it to just be that, the new map and THEN later on, stuff can be moved over.

/Agree

Engris I haven't seen you on since I started playing!

I have nothing very epic yet though. Except I look like Boba Fett.

ummm just gonna say..

we wont be losing the current world.. it would just be gone until the bukkit wrap updates and we can add it to the /join system to travel to both...

Engris I haven't seen you on since I started playing!

I have nothing very epic yet though. Except I look like Boba Fett.

Lol been sorta busy...since Skyrim is coming out soon I've also been playing Oblivion alot, but I'm on MC once in a while. Sorta just waiting for 1.8.

I'm with Wolfeman. Since we won't be losing our current world, or the stuff there in, is there really a need to bring it over?

But either way, I say we go to the new map when 1.8 comes out, and worry about whether to bring stuff over when bukkits is ready.

First of all, I want to say I like the idea of starting off with a fresh new world when 1.8 releases. As far as I know, we've all been waiting for 1.8's release. And knowing we'll have our old world again after bukkit is up, I don't see why we wouldn't just go for it and see what all 1.8 has to offer. It will give us time to explore and test out the world before we pick a place to put our house or build our projects.

I know we've talked about moving stuff from the current world to the new 1.8 world but I'd like to reconsider that.

The adventure update has a leveling feature. I'd love to see everyone start off the 1.8 world on the same footing. No transfer of stuff from the old world.

Then it's all about what you do instead of what you've done.

Maybe let everyone start with an adventurers pack of some wood, torches, a set of tools and some porkchops.

I don't like this idea... The idea of a fresh start I agree with, but if people want to take stuff from their old world that should be their choice. The idea of starting off on the same footing with everyone else isn't a bad idea, if we start a 1.8 map without bukkit, that would be equal footing at the start. I'd be fine with having a date that we can't transfer stuff between the worlds before... like, everyone has to keep the worlds separate until everyone gets a chance to get the basics and a plot of land or something... idk... but it would be unfair to the people who have been saving up and have stopped building in the current world if we didn't let them move their stuff if they choose to. I know I've been looking forward to 1.8 for a while and tore down my entire city so that I could use the supplies in a 1.8 map. I've been planning building types and designing layouts and secret stuffs for a while just waiting for 1.8 to come out... and I feel like it would be a waste to build them in our current map, because like you said, I want a fresh start and I want to create something new rather than just the same stuff I've had. Sorry if this comes across as very harsh or anything, I don't mean it that way, I just feel rather strongly about having the freedom to use the supplies I've collected how I want to rather than where I'm forced to, defeats the purpose of minecraft in my opinion if we can't create from the profit of our exploration. I play mainly to create, but creative mode lacks the excitement of dungeon spelunking.

I'm going to throw out some ideas to think about..

Once 1.8 comes out will mob traps be allowed? Since, Mobs will drop EXP orbs when killed so it would be easy to farm them and some people will know how to make one and others don't..
e.g. Bob battle's all day to gain EXP but Jeff just goes AFK at his mob trap all night..

If the plugins are down there will be no way to track any griefers that might arise from hiding, so sez thar is lava grief, Guards/Admin has no proof who dun it...

What will 1.8's world border size/distance be if any?
Should Guards/Admins be allowed to ride clouds/fly?
There will be new combat, will PvP be on or off?
Can we claim Ruins, Ravines & Strongholds?
If animals become persistent are people allowed to kill them or do we protect them?
What will be the Town's name if any?
Are we allowed to explore a bunch all at once or, are only a handful people allowed to explore at once?

Here's my opinions, for whatever they are worth:

If it's something that is generic to 1.8, it should be allowed (including PVP and mob traps if they are generic). The only add on's should be those that benefit everyone, such as protecting property, the mail system and someway to quickly travel to other places (like the airport idea, even if it is only available for the admins to build in centrally located places). It seems to me every time a mod is added, everyone suffers from not being able to play, or the server going down, or whatever. So keep them to a bare minimum.

I don't think that admins and guards should have any special abilities other than teleporting (or those needed to actually do their jobs). Unless it's a part of the "game" and is afforded to everyone. If you want to offer something special to those who support the server financially, I can understand that, but it shouldn't be given to a guard unless they also support the server.

As far as claiming land? There should be a no claim zone for some distance around spawn. Other than that, why not be able to claim any area no matter what terrain it is.

PVP should be on so if someone wants to actually duel, they can. If someone starts PVPing a bunch of people who don't want to duel, then they should be banned. Make sure it's part of the rules, PVPing by mutual consent only.

Why wouldn't everyone be allowed to explore if they want to? Is there a technical issue that prompts that question?

They way I see it ... Just put up the new map and let it be what it is until bukkit update comes out. I understand people being upset by griefers, but you know what, just like on any other game, there are hazards. Sometimes you die and you lose all your stuff, it's just the way it is. It's only a game. Don't build something you are worried about someone griefing until it can be secured.

And there you have it, for whatever it's worth.

Sorry for the length >..<

I'm going to throw out some ideas to think about..

Once 1.8 comes out will mob traps be allowed? Since, Mobs will drop EXP orbs when killed so it would be easy to farm them and some people will know how to make one and others don't..
e.g. Bob battle's all day to gain EXP but Jeff just goes AFK at his mob trap all night..

Jebs did say they might fix that so that mobs don't drop anything unless a player kills them, and if the player dies they lose all their experience... so I'd just let it be what it is, if people can get experience that way then let them because it might not work for them at all later. Also, if it's a concern that only certain people know how to build mob traps, we could put one under or nearby spawn for public usage, not too big of a deal. Personally, even if there was a mob trap I would rather earn my experience so I would go get it myself. If people want to level an easy way, I'd say let them, doesn't mean everyone has to, and the way I understand it is that it doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage for being lower level either unless it's in PvP. Just throwing out ideas.

If the plugins are down there will be no way to track any griefers that might arise from hiding, so sez thar is lava grief, Guards/Admin has no proof who dun it...

Definite reason to put up a new map, we definitely don't want to lose any of our old stuff. So even if it's only a temporary map, I say throw it up so we don't have to worry about that.

What will 1.8's world border size/distance be if any?
Should Guards/Admins be allowed to ride clouds/fly?
There will be new combat, will PvP be on or off?

I honestly don't mind either way... And as far as border size, I'd love to be able to explore freely... 10k would be nice, 15k would be awesome and a half. :) Depends what the server can handle. If I'm building a city with my Adventure Co, I plan on going out where I'll have no neighbors so I can just go at it and not worry too much about the person next to me.

Can we claim Ruins, Ravines & Strongholds?
Same way we'd claim anything else. Ravines I can see being different because they could be so huge... but D: I would be rather sad if we couldn't take over a stronghold or some ruins, that's the point in they're existence I think.

If animals become persistent are people allowed to kill them or do we protect them?
Food. Eat. I'm not vegetarian, sorry cows. I'm not quite sure what you mean by persistent, but I'm all in favor of whacking sheep if I don't have iron and cooking porkchops.

What will be the Town's name if any?
Idk, how about... Indigo, Lighthouse, or maybe something with 8 letters for the release of 1.8? Like Naphtali, Frostbit, or Purified. Anyway, I'm still building Nielf, so you can't steal that name. :) And I'ma make a legit railway to it if I ever finish it -shrugs- maybe. xD It won't be anywhere near peeps by spawn, so don't worry about that.

Are we allowed to explore a bunch all at once or, are only a handful people allowed to explore at once?
Depends, what are the concerns? Again, I don't care much either way, but I do want to explore the moment I get into the world. xD And probably a good 5k blocks if I'm allowed, just one direction though. I'm thinking I'll be going North or North-west this time, again, if I'm allowed.

Last edited:
Here is something you may need to know, the gamma world is pretty big space wise. if you try to run a second world, there is no knowing how much the server will be able to take of it, it may run out of disk space.
I think this is why most often the worlds have been deleted in the past.
here is a few options for that though.
we could scale back the size of gamma world, or the newest world will have to be small.
so its up to you guys how much do you want, gamma to newworld ratio, 50/50, 0/100, 35/65 even?

and my view on pvp is that it it isn't some noble thing to go around and duel by mutual consent.
it is where you are out of town and you have some diamonds from mining and a highwayman jumps out from behide a tree and kills ya and scampers off into the woods with your things. law is upheld in towns and crime is lurking behind every creeper tree and rock.

Last edited:
Here's the thing no one seems to be talking about. Minecraft is about to change on a very basic level. Notch has said it will be more about exploring and the things that go with it (fighting monsters, leveling up, conquest) and less about sandbox mode (building). Sandbox mode is pretty much what we are used to now (with creepers and archers playing the griefer role). He is also including a new mob with the limited ability to move blocks. Say you build a huge town and suddenly the endermen spawn in the middle. If you look at them, they will viciously attack you. If you don't look at them, they have the ability to move things around in your town.

The game is also nearing its completion (tentative release date is 11/11/11). In the past (including now) we have used the release of a major update as an excuse to start a new world. With no new major updates there is no excuse for new worlds. And considering how stale the current world has gotten as people wait for a new world...

My suggestion at this point

1. Spawn a new world right now. Put a central spawn (I loved Gerbils church). Establish an area around the central spawn of no build. Then spawn roads and rails out from the central spawn. Establish spots for people to claim. Smaller near the spawn (32x32) and larger as you get farther out(64x64 then 96x96 ect). People can claim an area based upon how much space they need and how close to the spawn they want to be. As people come and go these parcels can be cleaned up and reissued.

2. Spawn a new adventure world every 30 days and delete the old. This will allow us to keep the world small yet keep it new for exploration. Based upon how much can be explored in 30 days we can expand or if necessary contract the spawn world.

3. Allow people to carry things out of the adventure world into the permanent spawn but not from the permanent spawn into the adventure world. Also allow people to carry things from the current world to the new world with the permanent spawn (and then delete the current world after a set amount of time). This will allow collecting things for building in the permanent spawn world (as well as items already collected) but will keep the adventuring and leveling "fair".

4. In the adventure world people can build whatever they want with the knowledge that at the end of each month the whole world will be eaten and nothing will be saved.

5. Plugins will be kept fairly simple. They cause problems more often than not. I like lockette and iconomy (it makes trading and getting things you need easier). Other than that I like only the admin plugins we need to keep order.

6. Adventure worlds are lawless places. PvP, griefing, ect. Spawn world is where the law is (no lava plugin).

Also allow people to carry things from the current world to the new world with the permanent spawn (and then delete the current world after a set amount of time).

How much notice will you give for this? I'd like to keep building, but want to tear down as take as much as I can with me...

Hey, I kind of like what Wolfe wrote. I like the idea of a building world and an adventure world. And I like that there can be different rules for each. If your in the adventure world, PVP is allowed with no advanced warning. But no PVP in the building world. Etc.

Good idea Wolf.

Only thing is, I'd just as soon wait and spawn the new building world with 1.8 anyway. I know the risks, but I'd still rather have it in 1.8.

The problem with deleting each world after 30 days is, nobody will want to try to build anything epic anymore. Why take the time to make something awesome when its going to be deleted at the end of the month? Sure, the point of the game is shifting more towards adventuring, but people will still want to build cool stuff. Why discourage that by just deleting everything all the time?

Back