Scratching the MMO itch

Champions Online entered into open beta.

Key is via fileplanet, the slowest way to download anything :\
QFT.

One of the reasons I quit the Section 8 a week after starting it was the absurdity (in 2009) of having to wait 15-20 minutes to start downloading a patch for a beta. I think the games industry has forgotten that they benefit from beta testing.

If the download is only available through FilePlanet, I'll probably skip the beta entirely. Now if I find the same legitimately free files on an alternate download site or torrent tracker, I may reconsider.

EDIT: Okay, the open beta client installer is available on several torrent sites. Please don't post links to the torrents on the forums. Users familiar with Google and BitTorrent will know what to do.

Last edited:
QFT.

One of the reasons I quit the Section 8 a week after starting it was the absurdity (in 2009) of having to wait 15-20 minutes to start downloading a patch for a beta. I think the games industry has forgotten that they benefit from beta testing.

If the download is only available through FilePlanet, I'll probably skip the beta entirely. Now if I find the same legitimately free files on an alternate download site or torrent tracker, I may reconsider.

EDIT: Okay, the open beta client installer is available on several torrent sites. Please don't post links to the torrents on the forums. Users familiar with Google and BitTorrent will know what to do.

They did release a downloader app that waits in line for you. So you can click to download and go to bed without babysitting it.

EDIT: Once the game is installed it patches itself like most other MMOs.

Last edited:
They did release a downloader app that waits in line for you. So you can click to download and go to bed without babysitting it.
Which would work great on a desktop computer, but not as well on a notebook with balanced power management settings.

Still, I keep my desktop on 24/7 for BitTorrent, so I could download the file to my desktop, copy it to a USB drive, then copy it to my notebook. (Network file transfer in Vista is aggravatingly slow.) I'll keep the FP download manager in mind for the next big file "only available" on FilePlanet, though I'll want to verify the download manager doesn't come packaged with any malware before installing it.

Speaking of my desktop computer and BitTorrent: I was able to download the full open beta client installer via BitTorrent, so I'll probably be trying the game out in the next few days.

Champions Online has been a blast so far with my brothers.

Travel powers > mounts

You can swing like Spider-Man, or fly around like Iron Man. :p

Champions Online has been a blast so far with my brothers.

Travel powers > mounts

You can swing like Spider-Man, or fly around like Iron Man. :p

Yeah I wanted to play it but I decided not to get involved :(.

I have been wondering about the gameplay though, most of the released trailers focus on how you can create a very nice custom character and nemesis. The little of what's been shown on the actual gameplay looks like standard mmorpg fair so I wonder if it has staying power.

Last edited:
I have been having waaay waaay too much fun with this game. My only issue is I can't decide what kind of character to play. Naturally I went Fire powered on my first character which was a blast (hehe) and a dual katana wielding crazy guy the next, which was also fun. I want to try them all... and in doing so spend about an hour or so each playing with the character creation tools.

picking up a streetlamp and one-shotting an enemy never, ever gets old.

My character is Zeth on champions. I think I got off when my character was 14-15. Currently he is spec'd as a power armor, but I will probably roll another spec if I were to play the game on release.

I am pretty sure the NDA is still in effect, so I wont comment on anything besides the fact that the game is actually pretty fun and looks good :p

Downloading Beta...not sure I will play it much at all...I might jump on it for a few hours simply for testing it...

Ok, Ok, I give I DLing Champions beta now, at 35% already. Are there different servers? Which one are you guys on so I may join it.

Last edited:
CO FTL!!!

It doesn't support Windows 7, and crashes when you try to create a character half way through...

EDIT: I got it to work...creating a character was awesome...the gameplay and questing...was well...very disappointing...

Last edited:
CO FTL!!!

It doesn't support Windows 7, and crashes when you try to create a character half way through...

EDIT: I got it to work...creating a character was awesome...the gameplay and questing...was well...very disappointing...

The NDA was dropped so anyway:

Once you get used to the interface and get your travel powers it is quiet fun. You can travel to any quest in just a few seconds in a lot of cases and you don't have to aggro anything as you can just fly way overhead. There isn't much cost to flying except for a slight increase in power drain when using other powers (recharging energy is easy as heck, so it doesn't really matter much).

I found the questing and gameplay to be a blast. I spent like 5 hours total just fiddling around with the power sets/traveling alone. Doesn't feel like CoH, and for that, I'm happy. Gonna preorder this for sure. :)

(Swinging, Rocket Jump, and Teleport rock)

I feel Champions plays on novelty (something many games do now just to get you to play for a month or two) and doesn't have a high chance to have good endgame or replayability... Now I could be wrong, but I have looked into this game very thoroughly, and I just don't see it being big past 3 months...

I feel Champions plays on novelty (something many games do now just to get you to play for a month or two) and doesn't have a high chance to have good endgame or replayability... Now I could be wrong, but I have looked into this game very thoroughly, and I just don't see it being big past 3 months...

Well it is better then the 50 billion "fantasy" wannabe orcs/elves/misc copycats wandering the landscape. Every time another company puts out a generic swords and magic game it makes me want to vomit.

I am hoping that sw:tor, star trek, global agenda, and some of the other original IP coming out will break the mold and make companies actually produce something worth playing and not a festering grindpit they seem to love to throw out.

/bump

With my recent trip to Azeroth now finished, I'd like to find a free-to-play MMO that my wife and I can play together and enjoy to fill the new void.

Since Guild Wars doesn't carry a monthly subscription fee and since a ToJ member gave me a GW account, I've asked my wife to try a trial version of GW. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, I'm downloading Runes of Magic and looking for unbiased reviews and rankings of free MMOs.

My wife wasn't interested in Free Realms (and, to be honest, it didn't really hold my interest, either). Dragonica Online was fun for an afternoon, but my wife wasn't interested in it, either. (I promptly lost interest in DO, which likely comes as a surprise to no one.) I'm willing to give Dungeons & Dragons Online another try, though it didn't really pull me in, either.

Any free MMO is just going to be a substitute for WoW and I admit that from the outset. I'm looking for a MMORPG that my wife and I can have fun playing together. That's what counts.

That is great that you two will be playing together. I have had so much fun teaming up with my son in Guild Wars for the past two years.

You should grab EQ2 at $5 a copy (today is last day of sale on steam). That will get you 5 expansions + 3 adventure packs all in 1 game with 30 days to play it. Before you apply the key, however, let me or one of the other guildies send you a "recruit a friend" invite. Then you get 14 free days, and a awesome run speed cloak. Then you can enter the steam key after, and have 44 days of free time in Norrath to check out the most amazing guild hall that the Knights of I AM have. When you see the detail the leaders have put into the Bible themed rooms, your wife may just fall in love with the game. The home decorating aspect is truly a sight to see in person.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24100/

Last edited:
You should grab EQ2 at $5 a copy (today is last day of sale on steam).
Too late. :( I didn't check the forums again last night after making my bump post and the sales are over now.

EQ2 still has a monthly subscription, though, so I probably would have let the time expire after I finished.

Too late. :( I didn't check the forums again last night after making my bump post and the sales are over now.

EQ2 still has a monthly subscription, though, so I probably would have let the time expire after I finished.

However, they have a tendency to give many many free months out, like almost the entire month of Dec was free play...

What RoM server did you end up on?

Did you check out Allods online? It looks and plays really well. Don't be put off that gPotato runs it, the development is by an entirely different Russian team.

Last edited:
Back