Server admins

S

Smurf

We have been experiencing some mischiefs in the ToJ server lately. Many trash talkers about God, and seriously ill cheaters have been spotted in the last few days. Despite us having 10 or so admins, I just don't think it's enough for the server, since no admins can be found at the times we need it most.
Just wanna make a suggestion that more admins are needed, and Rizz or mercury please think about it. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Smurf Elite makes those calls and I think for the 1st time Im going to take the opposite side, last night maybe we were having problems on cs_seige w/ someone swearing, I dropped out of game and saw about 4 admins in the forums, pmed Para and before I was back in game he was already taking care of the situation, more admins would def be a good thing but not so many that its mass chaos

not only that but maybe try to have admins spread the times when they play. i mean we can not accomdate everyone BUT we can try to keep it fair, i know some people have outside things that make a scheule hard like kidan and his child, but i have been on before when like 8 admins where all on at once. I think we have a good system set up where the person who is admining has Admin on their name.

That is what we admins are supposed to be doing, wearing the [Admin] tag when we are indeed admins. We forget sometimes....

=\

maybe it would be easier to remember if the tag was
~A~
instead of [Admin]...

[Admin] takes too long to type.  I'd just tell people I was an admin and then not put the tag on, if I was an admin.  but not really, since I'm a model citizen, and the perfect candidate for administrating.  *poke*

tounge.gif

or for more style, at the end of your name, put `z0r

Elite`z0r
Kidan`z0r
Parakletos`z0r

biggrin.gif

Rizz'z0r...lol

Nah i have everything on goosehs script so whatever is good for me. At the moment its [Admin] i have it auto when i put in the admin_password. All on one key.

I tried getting it to do that, but All I get with the name change is just a ToJ, it cuts everything else off. Can I use a sub-quote or something like ' ?

Hey Elite, are anybody who is on that can do this for me. Can i be an admin on our sever. I want to be an admin on here because I seen a haxor that had wall hacks because every kill was almost threw the wall and he didn't even see us, but he had hacks. I'm tired of people cussing on the server and not folling the rules. I want to ban the haxors and cheater when they get on, os if you can make me an admin to keep the server up and following the rules thanks......... bye!!!
smile.gif

First ... /rarely/ do the admins ban on sight if they see a potential hacker. Most of our bans come from others breaking our rules over and over and over and over ... you get the picture.

Second ... that's not a very good reason to become an admin
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I want to be an admin on here because I seen a haxor that had wall hacks ... I want to ban the haxors and cheater when they get on
Believe it or not, that's not all we as admins do on a daily basis. There's a lot more to it than that.

Third ... I don't know, just wanted a third point -=\

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Goose62 @ April 09 2003,1:29)]First ... /rarely/ do the admins ban on sight if they see a potential hacker.

Third ... I don't know, just wanted a third point -=\
smile.gif
Suggestion for 3rd point:
Being an Admin is tougher than you realize. You become a "babysitter", and don't get to be able to enjoy your game as much. You have to stop whatever you're doing to tell people to stop cussing, stop using our Lord's name in vain, to change their names, stop doing this/that, etc.

Commenting on the Goose's 1st point:
Accusing someone of cheating is really easy, and unfortunately too often fellow ToJ-members do that without making sure of the accusations being made. I strongly suggest you to tape demos of people you suspect are cheating, and send the .dem file to any admin (remember to send a <status> screenshot with it, so we can be sure of the wonIDs involved).

YES, I know it's a rather lengthy process, but we as admins don't fell comfortable banning people all over just because others "think/believe/suspect" they cheat. Give them the benefit of the doubt first, take the necessary measures to PROVE YOUR POINT, and inform an admin. It should only take a couple days max, I believe.

will these "we need more admins" or " i want admin" post never end?!?

i bet 90% ppl that were given admin wished they didnt have it after the first week. most the time when you join a game you are clocking in for work, and not begining your much deserved "play-time." though the pay for this job really sucks  
biggrin.gif

enjoy your responsibility-free gaming. admin duties are rarely enjoyable

In a nutshell, Demon is right. I will posting some more info about admin powers here in a little bit.

Sounds like Demon would *love* to be an admin....lol.

biggrin.gif

for all these posts i think we do sometimes forget how much effort goes into being an admin, one of my friends started up a server that i have admin on (on our LAN gl trying to get on hehe) and it really isnt as much fun as its cracked up to be, in fact disciplining people is really a pain, Sun and DH were right, it takes a lot of fun out of the game being a babysitter

the only time I would say admins are hard to find is middle of the day weekday, most are at work/school, elite you might want to look into some college students i know there are a few in our ranks as they dont have class/work all day just a thought,

I appreciate the concern that everyone has about the well-being of our server. I have just added two more admins, and I am constantly looking for more.

Here is how I normally determine who I feel would be a good admin:

1.) Maturity - This has nothing to do with age, although the older you age, the more mature you are (in most cases, lol). By this, I see how people act and react in certain situations and how they talk, play, and LISTEN.

2.) Responsibility - The first part of this is, are you willing to stop playing and take care of a problem player/situtation? Essentially, are you willing to babysit the server and it's problem players? The second part deals with not abusing admin powers. Can you handle not lashing out in anger using your admin abilities?

3.) Leadership - This basically just shows me if you can handle people naturally, and if people respond. How good can you lead people and set an example?

3.) Attitude - This is a tough one, because I know CS brings a lot of nasty things out in people. Again, I like to see how people act/react in certain situations and how they treat other players and develop relationships.

4.) Relationship(s) - This is one of the most important. By this, most importantly I mean your relationship with Christ, and with players, leaders, admins, and other ToJ members.

I have just brought two new admins on board for the first time since last summer. I chose Sun and Exodus based on the criteria above, and because they weren't looking for admin powers. Sun is a high-school Computer Science teacher, who naturally is good with teens/young adults. Exodus is a youth pastor, and also naturally has the young persons' best interest at heart.

Unfortunately, I don't usually choose members who come asking for admin powers -- because they want revenge, or to play some jokes on people or because they think it would be cool or fun. This is usually the case, but I do believe some simply want to help in the sincerest manner. I will not grant admin access to those who ask.

Admin access will only be given to those who are invited or asked to join the admin group. If you are still interested in becoming an admin, simply be on your best behavior because all of us admins are always looking for more.

kinda something to do with admins.

Can an admin get on tonite say 7-10ish or a few admins just go stop by.  I have been seeing a few players (last nite especially, but this seems like the usual time for most problems) cursing and provoking the rules.  Last nite even going so far as posting things about our Lord that i will not repeat.

mad.gif
*crack knuckles* ...forecast of slappage, slayage, kickage and bannage ahead...

Many times I'll be in the server under a different name, snoopying around. What's annoying is that when they see you wearing an [Admin] tag they don't act up, waiting until you leave. THEN they start.

I usually come in at different times in the afternoon, often under different names. If I see something going on, I'll warn them using say commands. When they don't cooperate, I turn on *admin-powa* (without putting my [Admin] tag) and use tsay, slap, slay, kick, ban.

I started to do this because I really want people to watch themselves when "there's no one else watching them" (or so they think!). Please don't feel you're being "spyed" on. I believe players should respect each other at all times, hence this approach. I try to be as forthcoming as I can...

Again, should you see anything inappropriate going on - and in those wary times when you can't get a hold of any admin - make sure you get screenshots, demos, etc. Admins can always come back later and *BAN* *BAN* *BAN*, so although you had to deal with those fiends today, you won't - hopefully - have to deal with them in the future.

Back