Sniper/Spy Update!

Day 2 is up now. Looks like a new pl map "Pipeline" and 2 new arena maps "Sawmill" and "Nucleus"

two carts... side by side... it's going to be a long night on the map....

Yeah I bet the pipeline map was the one that was shown in the background of the scout update. I also think they probably intended to release it for that update but didn't have it finished which is why we ended up with cp_junction and cp_egypt added in it :p . I mean all the other updates had more official content than the scout update did.

Last edited:
The Razorback: nice idea, but what good is it if you can only use it once? I would rather have seen it have a charge time before it shocks a spy again rather then it falling to pieces on you. So does that mean that if you use it and you get a spy with it you revert back to the other weapon in that slot or maybe you have to pick up health or ammo to rebuild it???

I like the Huntsman, but can I tag my arrows so everyone can see that I put 5 arrows in to the heavy and he still didn't die?

Last edited:
Now that's a neat idea. It may be on a timer too. But one save from a backstab sounds pretty cool.

Meh if you can see the sniper wearing the Razorback I'll just shoot him. Three times point blank almost always takes them down before they can react. It's far less fun but I do it quite a lot as smart snipers tend to sit with their back against a wall making backstabs if'y things. I'm guessing it's meant to be used with the Huntsman. So maybe you can use the Huntsman as a semi smg replacement with the razorback replacing the smg?

I wonder if you shoot a undercover spy with the huntsman does the arrows stick?

I wonder if you shoot a undercover spy with the huntsman does the arrows stick?

Probably, spies always get the "shaft" in Valve updates anyway :p (thought you were safe from the spy backstabbing you on the forums but I does it with your own words! Mwhahaha :D ).

What the heck is up with today's update.... Are they serious or is this a joke. I like the cloak and dagger, but the dead ringer is going to be a problem for me :( I'm sure Gerbil is foaming at the mouth over it though.

Maaaan, I had a feeling Valve would do something like this. Thought it was the Scout update though. >_>

Might be 2 updates at once?

What the heck is up with today's update
Is the Crab-walking Kit a reference to that funky bug where player characters sometime look like they're stuck looking at the sky and running backwards?

.... Are they serious or is this a joke. I like the cloak and dagger, but the dead ringer is going to be a problem for me :( I'm sure Gerbil is foaming at the mouth over it though.
It's possible the Sniper updates were fake and this is the real update.

What better way to introduce a Spy update?

Is the Crab-walking Kit a reference to that funky bug where player characters sometime look like they're stuck looking at the sky and running backwards?

This is a reference to spies pulling out the disguise kit, crouching, and then walking around. The animation for this looks really odd.

The day of the Gerbil draws Neigh!

Maaaan, I had a feeling Valve would do something like this. Thought it was the Scout update though. >_>

Might be 2 updates at once?

Good job on the prediction Keero I remember you saying something :).

It's possible the Sniper updates were fake and this is the real update.

What better way to introduce a Spy update?

I'd think the sniper update is real or else people are going to be upset when they don't get neato arrow pinning action. Also if you notice on the flyer of spy equipment it's from an Australian company :p . I am thinking it's going to be a double update.

What the heck is up with today's update.... Are they serious or is this a joke. I like the cloak and dagger, but the dead ringer is going to be a problem for me :( I'm sure Gerbil is foaming at the mouth over it though.

I'm actually wanting the Cloak and Dagger more than the Dead Ringer. I am really not seeing how the Dead Ringer is going to be that great. Won't people have to stop shooting the exact moment you die or else you are going to be seen when their bullets hit you? What good is it for Pyros (probably your main enemy) if it doesn't put you out when you are on fire? Also if this replaces my spy watch I am assuming I can still use it to go invisible at will and this is just an added function right? The dropping of a decoy body is something I've seen requested on the forums but I have found it more amusing than useful. Good spy checkers shoot everything, all this means is they have to shoot a little longer. I also wonder if you are still going to have your old watch available because it's great as it is. With it's metal powered recharging you can stay invisible forever in some places, like the first part of Goldrush.

Actually of all the things on that page... I want the cape and gloves the most even though they aren't real. Then I could be more super heroic :D or I could go for the mustache and be Neh, ha, ha!

Perpetually being invisible has the potential to be very powerful though. Seems like it is going to make setting up an enemy easier but getting away harder. I don't know it all depends on how fast the regeneration is.

I think I am like Whon I won't be able to play my class for the next few weeks so I have mixed feelings about the update. Of course you know the one that is really going to suffer are the Heavies having to face a ton of spies and snipers at once XD.

Neither of the watches will fix the Spy's problems though. Of course they have yet to do the weapons and most of the problems are not weapon related anyway so I have hope ^^. Below is my collected list of things that should be fixed on spy for those who care.

1. Not being able to tell who you are disguised as. I want to know if I have the name of a person looking at me. It's not fair and makes no sense.

2. A clearer indicator if you've bumped into someone. If an enemy bumps into me they can see a shimmer while I see nothing on my arm. All I get is a quick glimpse of myself in the hud which is very hard to see when you are in a rush, as all cloaked spies are. The reason this is a problem is I can often not be physically stopped or feel the impact of having someone bump into me and I only know it when they go ape a second later. All I want is a visible shimmer on my arm like they see.

3. Why does the hp meter always drop to half exactly when you yell for a medic as a disguised spy. Why not randomize the value a bit so it doesn't look the same all the time.

4. Fix the hit detection on the knife... nvm I don't think it's technically possible with lag and all or Valve would have done it already :) .

I am quite certain on the above things and I don't see why anyone would object to fixing them however there are a few other things people may object to...

5. Completely random events. In some situations I'll be cloaked and turning a corridor and run into a large mass of enemies. Whether you swung wide or shallow around the corner makes no difference at all. Nor can you just peak around the corner either because you can't get away quick enough or dodge them when they are filling up the corridor. It completely random and completely unavoidable sometimes. What I'd like, but I don't see it happening, is to have a short range ability to see enemies through walls but only while cloaked (like in L4D).

6. You can't catch up always. You are supposed to catch up to enemies by running "smarter" than them. Thing is if my enemies play Spy they are already going to be running as "smart" as possible. I've chased Pyro and Medic combos all the way across 2fort trying to catch up. Compound this with the fact Medics and Scouts run faster than you and the only way you catch up is if your team slows them down. I'd like a weapon that allows me to run faster for a short period as long as I have an enemy in my sights (thus in front of you so you could not use it to retreat). Of course you would have a debuff to it as well. Bottom line is there needs to be some way to catch up to people running just as efficiently as you.

Last edited:
The "Meet the Spy" Trailer was leaked a couple days ago and it's content depresses me. Valve has gone the immoral humor route more so than in the past. Although it's predictable and is marred by content it does have a couple good/funny parts. Other parts seem like they could have been much funnier though. It figures my favorite class would receive a trailer like this :/. Of course people making comments on it like it more than any other one -_-. Look it up on youtube if you want to see it. I would never link to it because of it's content.

Last edited:
The next day is out and it is of course the "Meet the Spy" video. I do like the fact they made fun of their mistake in leaking it by the "Valve Achievement" at the bottom and the "act surprised" subtitle on the video.

More importantly all the Spy's achievements are listed.

Back