Sniper/Spy Update!

I think they purposely leaked the video since they have a display light for "Leaked Video"

I think they should have put in a "SOMEONE" "SET UP US THE BOMB" "ALL YOUR BASE" "ARE BELONG TO US"

Just thinking out loud here but because of one of the achivements I think it would be cool if the spy got something like a spy camera that would give a debuff effect to whoever you took a picture of. Like you could target a single person in the frame and debuff them at the right moment so your team could take them down. I'm thinking a few seconds of decreased attack power. You could give it a flash timer so they would have a warning noise to dodge it. It wouldn't do any actual damage itself and you would have to trade out the sapper for it. Of course there is no sapper replacement slot so it couldn't replace that. It probably won't happen anyway.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here but because of one of the achivements I think it would be cool if the spy got something like a spy camera that would give a debuff effect to whoever you took a picture of. Like you could target a single person in the frame and debuff them at the right moment so your team could take them down. I'm thinking a few seconds of decreased attack power. You could give it a flash timer so they would have a warning noise to dodge it. It wouldn't do any actual damage itself and you would have to trade out the sapper for it. Of course there is no sapper replacement slot so it couldn't replace that. It probably won't happen anyway.

Or better yet the spy camera has a "flash" that causes temporary partial blindness/disorientation to whoever you took a kill picture of. Timed properly this could help your team get revenge on whoever just killed you. :)

Or better yet the spy camera has a "flash" that causes temporary partial blindness/disorientation to whoever you took a kill picture of. Timed properly this could help your team get revenge on whoever just killed you. :)

Me likey! That would juxtapose well with the back stabbing mechanic too if it worked only if an enemy is looking at directly at you. Like say if an enemy who you where stalking turned around and you needed to get away.

I still want a smoke bomb for escapes though ^^ because they are cool and all ninja'y.

Below is the latest weapon...

Valve said:
The Ambassador
There are two sorts of men in this world: the sort with blood pouring out of a hole in their heads, and the sort holding the Ambassador. It has the ammo count of a revolver and the pinpoint accuracy of a sniper rifle, even at long range. (But remember, a gun that packs this much heat needs to cool off between shots, so make every shot count.)

With its rosewood grip and likeness of your enemy’s mother (please send photo) engraved on the barrel, the Ambassador is eight motherloving pounds of steel your enemies won’t want to negotiate with.

The original Spy revolver was good and the only thing I found annoying was when I would die because it missed even though I was right on target. For the most part it was accurate enough though. I've already sniped people in the back a lot with the regular gun so this looks to improve that. Thing is when I am discovered I almost always empty my regular revolver defending myself so IDK if the decreased firing rate will be worth it.

I've felt that with each update classes are crossing over into territory of other classes and this seems to hold true here too. Pyro's backburner lets him have instant spy like kills, Heavies Sandvich lets him heal without a medic, the Medic's Blutsauger makes him more independent like other classes and now the Ambassador looks set to allow semi-sniper'ing.

I wonder if this "pinpoint accuracy of a sniper rifle, even at long range" means that headshots will auto-crit, just like the sniper rifle?

I wonder if this "pinpoint accuracy of a sniper rifle, even at long range" means that headshots will auto-crit, just like the sniper rifle?

I doubt it will have headshot crits even though it does refer to "holes in peoples heads". If it did have headshot crits why even play sniper because it would probably be easier to use having no peripheral vision loss. Yes the target would be smaller but I haven't seen a level that is so big you couldn't shoot people at range with an accurate weapon. I'm thinking this weapon is meant for getting behind enemies and shooting them at range but will be lame for close range one on one fights. If done correctly sniping people in the back works well as a spy. Most of the time people think the shots are coming from the front and don't take cover correctly (sometimes coming closer to you with their backs turned).

Last edited:
it better not auto-crit, specially when an unscoped sniper rifle doesn't

it better not auto-crit, specially when an unscoped sniper rifle doesn't

:p I think you feel like I did with the back burner it's essentially a better instant killing weapon that the spy's knife. Sure it's easier to get into position as a spy but the backburner can kill large groups of enemies and be a formidable direct attack weapon too.

Oh I just remembered I wanted a silenced pistol :p I guess that's not going to happen now that the spy is getting this.

Day Seven is out and I didn't think they would actually do it. Worst update weapon ever <facepalm> T_T .

Steam announced another free TF2 weekend starting on Thursday. That leaves the Spy left to get his knife replacement on that day. If it hits around eight tomorrow I'll "try" to restart the server. Of course if it's like last time everyone will be unable to get the update until hours later effectively ruining TF2 Thursday due to Valve's servers being overloaded :/ (Valve's update day once again conflicts with our day XD ).

Last edited:
yeah, I see no really reason to use the last sniper update besides to get the achievements.

I mean come on you get the Ambassador, a pretty looking and powerful weapon and I get Jarate... a jar of something I don't even want to say to throw at people. I now feel like the next evolution of a monkey.... if I believed in evolution.

Last edited:
I can see the Jarate being really useful in some circumstances. It gives the sniper a good team weapon when he's too close to use his rifle. I also think it will pair much better with the Huntsman than the Sniper Rifle.

I mean come on you get the Ambassador, a pretty looking and powerful weapon and I get Jarate... a jar of something I don't even want to say to throw at people. I now feel like the next evolution of a monkey.... if I believed in evolution.

No argument there. Even if the Ambassador turns out to be a useless weapon you can't go much lower than a jar of urine T_T.

I can see the Jarate being really useful in some circumstances. It gives the sniper a good team weapon when he's too close to use his rifle. I also think it will pair much better with the Huntsman than the Sniper Rifle.

Yeah I can definitely see it being useful for what it does but for what it is I would not want to use it T_T. I had already thought a de-buff or buff weapon would be useful in TF2 as it seems one of the things they have not covered. I also agree it would be more useful with the huntsman than the sniper rifle as you could hopefully follow a group of your allies around and serve as ranged DPS'er and de-buffer (of course TF2 is not a mmorpg but the class types still apply). I imagine it replaces the machete and as such you will need the protection of a group. Just about anything would have been a better weapon boomerangs, bolas, or maybe some fictional Australian gibberish "thing" like a Wob-lopper :p.

Last edited:
if it replaces the melee weapon then what do you use for close combat? two me there are now 2 defense weapons for the sniper and not really much offensive or support.

if it replaces the melee weapon then what do you use for close combat? two me there are now 2 defense weapons for the sniper and not really much offensive or support.

It has to replace something so I'd imagine it's either the smg or machete (as the Huntsman seems to fit the Sniper Rifle). I am guessing you either don't use both defensive weapons, the huntsman is supposed to be used as your sole direct attack weapon or the two weapons replace the same item so you don't use both at one time. All the weapon upgrades are like that in some respect though you have to give up something to get something. I also expect using some upgrades will be situational like bonk.

I'm still thinking the razorback will be much more useless than the other two unless it has some effect we do not know. I mean it makes you slower plus if it's only good for fending off one attack of one class and can be circumvented by the other. We can always hope the Jarate is a practical joke like the "leaking" of the video but I would not hold my breath. On a side note I was looking in the steam forums and it appears the panel in Meet the Spy with the text "Leaked Video" was changed between the first leaked video and the second official video so who can tell if it was leaked for real or not (they did come up with the extra stuff making fun of it awfully quick though hmmmm).

Right now I am wondering what the Spy will get to replace the knife (though I have some ideas). The fact is I get the feeling the spy is the most hated of all classes by some people with the way they will irrationally chase you forever. Every update so far has given it's class an empowerment so I am hoping Valve does not wimp out. Technically Valve has given the spy three upgrades already (if the old invisible watch is not being replaced).

Last edited:
looks like we might both lose, for now, and our melee class weapons are unchanged :(

Back