Starting ps3 game?

Joshinator

Christian Gamers Alliance TeamSpeak 3 Server Opera
Hey, I just ordered my ps3 (comes in on saturday) and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what game I should get to start out. I am thinking of RPG's as I currently have none, and don't want any shooters until I can get the keyboard and mouse adapter when it comes out. So ya.... If it's an rpg, it has to be T rated, as I don't wanna put up with the crap that is in M rated rpg's.... aka no dragon age...

I'd also think it'd be very cool if it had multiplayer :)

Thanks!

--Josh

Man, two CGAer PS3 orders this week, one looking into it, and my father in law decided to sell the 360 and get a PS3. What a good week. :)

Apparently I have something against Teen games or RPGs, because my list of games I plan to buy but haven't yet includes:
Resonance of Fate
Final Fantasy XIII (looks very linear, but should still be fun enough)
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata (has local multi in battle)
Star Ocean
Disgaea 3 (Teen, but has some crude humor I believe)

Really I think it has more to do with me being pretty cheap, and waiting for price drops. RPGs tend to drop more slowly in a lot of cases. I don't have a good excuse on VC, though.

I also have White Knight Chronicles and definitely looking to play that some more. It's grindy, but fun and has pretty good online co-op. TONS of info (mostly text-walled by myself) here:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36151

Last edited:
I'm borrowing a friend's copy, and, frankly, it's an amazing game. It is very linear, at least for the first twenty hours, but I don't mind its linearity nearly as much as I did FFX's i that means anything to you. Despite being linear, the presentation is done so well that it somehow feels right. It's also RPG-lite. If you're into hardcore stat grinding and leveling and so on, that's not really the way the game is designed. This is definitely meant to make Final Fantasy more accessible to a wider audience. I think Squeenix succeeded in this goal.

Valkyria Chronicles
I've only played the demo of this, but it's pretty much awesome. The only thing the game lacks is a multiplayer component. Otherwise, it feels a lot like Fire Emblem to me with its turn-based strategy-RPG design. The direct control over units is really well implemented in real-time fashion.

Yet to play Disgaea, but I really, really want to. The stupidly high level cap alone makes it appeal to me.

I also have White Knight Chronicles and definitely looking to play that some more. It's grindy, but fun and has pretty good online co-op. TONS of info (mostly text-walled by myself) here:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36151
Gotta pick that up. Just gotta get the funds for it first. Got a garage sale this weekend. If I sell some of my stuff, I'll see about picking it up.

And Josh, don't be afraid to check out PSN games. They're cheaper, and there are some true gems in there... especially if you haven't played some of the PSone RPGs they've got.

Resonance of Fate
Been wanting this for awhile now, it's fairly niche though. And it's hard.

I got bored after an hour, I'd be willing to try it when it isn't 60 bucks. Friends tell me the game "opens up after 15-20 hours", too long of a wait for me. :p

Valkyria Chronicles
I've played for about two-three hours, my younger brother beat it. It looks great and the audio/gameplay is fantastic and it's probably one of the most unique games I've played. It's more of a Strategy RPG, but you could get it for around 20 bucks. Would recommend it for sure if you enjoy the demo.

Eternal Sonata (has local multi in battle)
^___^ I enjoy this a lot, but my brothers are too busy to go through it with me so I haven't progressed that far. I got about 10 hours in on the 360 version (PS3 adds more features/characters/costumes/gameplay tweaks) but the graphics are gorgeous and the combat is fun. Up to three people can play in the battles (after like 20-30 minutes of story that is) aaaaand it's a very charming RPG that isn't that cliche. Gamestop should have it for about 15 bucks, but it's a good PS3 buy after Valkyria Chronicles. Try the demo to see what I mean. :)

Star Ocean International
I got this for cheap on an Amazon deal. The gameplay is neat (blindsides and that gem mechanic which grants bonuses in battle) but the story, graphics and voice acting is VERY meh. This is more of a secondary title after you get through the real RPGs. I'm 5 hours in and I feel like I've accomplished nothing. :/

Haven't tried it.

I do like White Knight plenty, just been having altitis so I haven't gotten more than two hours in. xD

If you haven't already, you can also try Marvel Ultimate Alliance (1, because 2 was dull) which is a beat 'em-up with RPG elements. Does have a hell level though.

You can also get Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 from the PSN store for about 10 bucks each to see what all the hype is about. Be warned though, FF7's graphics don't hold up well today at all. :| There's also Wildarms, Final Fantasy Tactics, and other solid RPG titles for cheap too.

And one game I'm looking forward to is the PS3 port of Tales of Vesperia.

I'm borrowing a friend's copy, and, frankly, it's an amazing game. It is very linear, at least for the first twenty hours, but I don't mind its linearity nearly as much as I did FFX's i that means anything to you. Despite being linear, the presentation is done so well that it somehow feels right. It's also RPG-lite. If you're into hardcore stat grinding and leveling and so on, that's not really the way the game is designed. This is definitely meant to make Final Fantasy more accessible to a wider audience. I think Squeenix succeeded in this goal.

Yeah, wasn't just the linearity that turned me off...a big thing was hearing "no towns". I've hated when games have no towns ever since playing Shining Force CD, just battle after battle with no break in pace. Consequently, I've hated Gamestop ever sense selling them my copy of SF CD for like $4 to buy food.

Not sure how I forgot 3d Dot Game heroes in my first post (maybe 'cause it's more adventure), but I love that game. :)

Deathspank looks like a fun Diablo clone with local co-op, not sure how crude the "crude" humor is.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

I'd like to have a group of skilled opponents ready if/when I buy a PS3 and pick up SPF2THDR on day one.

Also: Critter Crunch.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

I'd like to have a group of skilled opponents ready if/when I buy a PS3 and pick up SPF2THDR on day one.

Also: Critter Crunch.

That's a military-quality acronym there, Tek.

Well I figured he was just looking for RPGs since there's another thread just like this one that he replied on in reference to getting cheap games. :)

Valkyria Chronicles is hands down one of the best strategy RPGs on the platform. Highly recommended.

Although it is very, very hard, you may want to check out Demon's Souls. It is a very challenging dungeon crawler with very unique, innovative online gameplay elements. I know it is rated M, but frankly I am starting to wonder why. There is some blood when you slice an enemy with a sword, but it is really not gratuitous. Women are fully clothed. I don't recall any swearing yet. I think its atmosphere may not interest a teenager but can be appreciated by a mature (in the genuine sense of the word) adult.

As for other genres, I will need more specifics before I start making more recommendations. That also reminds me I need to update my games for the games list thread here.

Demon's Souls is a great recommendation...love that game. There are definitely a few M-rated games that make me wonder why. I definitely avoid games like GTA, but the voilence in Demon Souls (or the name, just see it as fantasy) doesn't bother me. Darksiders was a great game, but again, virtual violence earns that one an M.

Sacred 2 has no business being an M rated game for "blood, voilence, and gore". Aside from the blood not being very bad, I think most people play these types of games zoomed as far out and you really can't make out many details there. Probably the worst thing here IMO is a lot of the female armor is pretty scant, but that wasn't mentioned in the rating.

/rant lol

Of course, I totally respect those who do view excessive violence (like the GoW-like violence in Darksiders) as bad. I just don't see how it's anywhere in the same category as GoW itself, which has nudity.

Deathspank looks like a fun Diablo clone with local co-op, not sure how crude the "crude" humor is.
My experience with the demo has been awesome. The chief character, DeathSpank, is an overzealous, over-the-top hero... with a ridiculous voice actor to match. Crude humor, so far as I got, involved save/resurrection points being outhouses primarily. Didn't really notice anything particularly crude beyond that in my brief demo experience (played for probably about fifteen minutes).

I absolutely love the style and gameplay, though. It's high on my list of PSN games to get.

My experience with the demo has been awesome. The chief character, DeathSpank, is an overzealous, over-the-top hero... with a ridiculous voice actor to match. Crude humor, so far as I got, involved save/resurrection points being outhouses primarily. Didn't really notice anything particularly crude beyond that in my brief demo experience (played for probably about fifteen minutes).

I absolutely love the style and gameplay, though. It's high on my list of PSN games to get.

Awesome, have the demo installed (thank you PSN+!), but haven't tried yet. Too bad no online co-op!

Ran through the Deathspank demo, loved it. Would be pretty fun with someone over playing, though hard to justify single player @ $15.

Speaking of $15, I put a new thread up with Ghostbusters. Buy it d00ds.

/bump

Now that I own a PS3, I'm trying to pick out my first few purchases. Top contenders include Super Street Fighter IV, Castle Crashers, Valkyria Chronicles, Soul Calibur IV, and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.

Delayed purchase plans include Eternal Sonata (I read it DOES have a Japanese voice option), Yakuza 3, Uncharted 2 Game of the Year Edition, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time.

I have a long list of demos to try out.

So what do you all recommend as top-tier PS3 (downloadable or disc) titles?

Sorry. I forgot to mention that first-person shooters are right out. I've played PC FPS games from Wolfenstein 3D to Left 4 Dead 2. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of picking up Valkyria Chronicles and Soul Calibur IV on Amazon.com. VC is $21.38 and SCIV is $18.63 with free super saver shipping on both. Two PS3 games (one single-player, one multiplayer) I want for $40.01. Not a bad deal.

Back