The Book is Done!

tjguitarz

Just finished my book! Started it on March 8. Finished on November 18. Still have lots of editing though. But I'm pumped anyways!

Here's the official tally...

Chapters: 41 (plus the prologue and epilogue)
177,980 words
970,892 characters (with spaces)
336 pages in MS Word (at .5'' margins, 11 font, times new roman, and 1.5 spacing)
556 pages in a typical published book (assuming 320 words per page)

How lucrative of a process is that?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of (after polishing it) submitting it to an agent, and then trying to get it published under Tor (that being the ideal situation).

Just finished my book! Started it on March 8. Finished on November 18. Still have lots of editing though. But I'm pumped anyways!

Here's the official tally...

Chapters: 41 (plus the prologue and epilogue)
177,980 words
970,892 characters (with spaces)
336 pages in MS Word (at .5'' margins, 11 font, times new roman, and 1.5 spacing)
556 pages in a typical published book (assuming 320 words per page)

Congratulations! Keep us up to date with your editing process and don't hesitate to post stuff here for comment and critique.

And, make sure to enter the writing contests! Really one of the best things about 300 or 500 word contests is that you have to hack down and edit most of the time to get it under the word limit. This really helps to refine editing skills you're gonna need for the revision process.

Paul

Yeah I was planning on doing something for the contest. My best friend is an AMAZING artist but he sluffs off. I was going to write something for him to draw out. Once he does it, I'll post those too.

Congrats on finishing the book, bro. I'm at just under 6,000 words so far on mine (about 16 published pages by your calculations), with a projected 50k or so to go. I'm writing non-fiction though, so for what I have to say, the shorter, the better.

Update!

Just finished 1st round of revisions. I'm kind of tired, so my tally might be off, but here's what I think so far.

305 pages typed (11 font, Times New Romans, .5 inch border, 1.5 spacing)
520 pages in a published book (assuming 320 words per page)
166,641 words
909,244 characters

I thought about that for a little bit, but I don't know how successful I would be at self publishing (unless you have some good tips!).

My plan is to get an agent or go directly to a publisher. I know it's difficult, but that seems like the best course of action.

so far i got 10 pages of my book...like..7 of chapter one...1 of chapter 2..and 2 of chapter 6...lol...and like 20+pages of tactical data plus glossary which is a good 7 or so

AJ, are you any further on your chapters yet? I read your tactical data and I like how you write. I'm eager for chapter 1.

I just finished Round 2 of editing! Here's the updated count.

46 chapters + prologue + epilogue
284 pages (11 font, Times New Roman, .5 margins all around)
482 pages (in a typical 320 words/per page published book)
154,521 words
843,043 characters (with spaces)

It's kind of funny. I chopped off 74 pages of fluff throughout my 2 editing stages! After one more round, I'll probably let a few people read it, gauge their reactions and comments, and do a last round of editing before submitting it for publication.

As for book 2, I think I'm going to start that on March 8 (1 year after I started the first book).

Haha. I really want to let some of you guys read it. I'll probably start a thread sometime later this month. I'd like to mail them to you so you can make marks and comments with a pen (the most effective way). Of course, I'll include a return envelope for ya!

TJ,

If the finding-the-agent thing is hard...as a first time author, try going through the steps of find the publisher first. Once you do, the publisher will hook you up with several possible agents: publishers will generally rather deal with agents than with writers directly. Agents know the business...writers are...well...writers...artists...not business people.

Writer's Digest Books has some awesome books on how to take these steps. They also give you invaluable advice on how to present the manuscript...everything from it's physical appearance (remember to include those headers) to how to mail it...and what steps to take (as in, don't send the manuscript at first, but, kind of, and introduction letter).

But, WOO HOO! Gratz on the completion. It's a good feeling isn't it?

HORRAY!

I'M DONE EDITING!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew, glad that's done with. It took me much longer than expected because of school, but we're finally done! Here's the total count...

45 Chapters + Prologue + Epilogue
280 Pages (11 font, .5 inch margins, Times New Roman)
139,787 Words
763,366 Characters (with spaces)
436 Pages (in a typical printed book at 320 words per page)

Yay! I'm so happy it's done. I made some major changes this time around. The plot is a lot better, more original. Well... I guess it's time to write book 2.

U make me smile n proud!!! I will pray for your success in this endeavor for I feel n c it is your hearts desire!!!

Back