The Help a Newbie Thread

Last night, I created an elemental named Tir Zah. I was level 1 or 2 when I got bored and tried to go to the SOE guild hall. I could get the guild screen but when I tried to go to the guild hall, I noticed there wasn't any button for me to click on. And when I double clicked on SOE, that didn't even take me there.
Is she in the very first part of Prophecies? Those characters can't go to the guild hall; they must go "Post Searing" to be able to visit the guild hall. However, once you go post-searing, you can't go back to pre-searing Ascalon.

I like this one.

Apparently the only person who understands what mesmers do is the enemy thumpers and dervishes. :D At least, they must, or why would they work so hard to kill us?

I like that one too. But I'd bet the thumpers and dervishes don't know what we do either, they just know that they are dying whilst we live... :p

-Chadley

unfortunately, pre-sear characters can't go to guild halls. after Ascalon goes all ugly, then you'll be able to.

*light bulb goes on* Thanks. That explains a lot. I just want everyone to see my El because I was quite proud of how I "designed" her. She looks like an angel and she wears the guild cape proudly. But she's just a baby. I'll be asking for help with her soon!

Is she in the very first part of Prophecies? Those characters can't go to the guild hall; they must go "Post Searing" to be able to visit the guild hall. However, once you go post-searing, you can't go back to pre-searing Ascalon.

I'm going to actually try to do a lot, if not all, of the quests (and missions!) with her because I missed so many of them with my first character. So join me sometime with Sophia if you wish. I'd love for someone to actually see my El because she looks so neat the way I set her up.

post a screen shot.

Just press your "print screen" button while in game. the images are stored in your Guild Wars directory. "C:\program files\Guild Wars" by default. Then got to imageshack.us, click the browse button, find your image and hit OK.

On the next page you'll see a bunch of links. Use those to post a picture here.

If you use the link at the bottom "direct link to image" then you'll need to click the image icon you see when posting, and paste the URL in the box that comes up.

Love this character. Stc95 helped me level her a little and get some better armor. So she's looking different now. But I loved her first ensemble. I decided to go with the sultry starlet look: deep tan and platinum blonde hair. So fun.

Shot at 2007-08-08

Last edited:
Calling Targets & responding to calls

I'm seriously having issues here. Will someone meet me in a game later to just practice with calling targets. I'm reading this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Target#How_to_target and I think it would make more sense if I was playing a relatively slow paced scenario with someone nice and patient. I don't know when I will be on, but I will definitely try to find time this afternoon/evening.

Any advice on calling and also responding to calls? Etiquette? Things that irk you that other people do?

I wish I could help but alas I am going to Montana in like 1 hour lol! Have fun though!!

We usually have a designated caller - often the tank who is choosing where to take a stand and who to begin with - or the one who is quickest on the keyboard. Also, the first person to find the monk/priest/mender - the healer for the enemy - will make the call. Once called, we focus on that target until s/he is dead.

It is not as compicated as the article makes it sound. find your target - then control/spacebar targets it for others to see.

I wish I could help but alas I am going to Montana in like 1 hour lol! Have fun though!!

Hope you enjoy your trip to Montana. Thanks for the comment. Maybe when you get back you could join me and whoever likes to help the resident newbie. :D

We usually have a designated caller - often the tank who is choosing where to take a stand and who to begin with - or the one who is quickest on the keyboard. Also, the first person to find the monk/priest/mender - the healer for the enemy - will make the call. Once called, we focus on that target until s/he is dead.

It is not as compicated as the article makes it sound. find your target - then control/spacebar targets it for others to see.

Thanks, I'll try that out. :cool:

From the Wiki:

Attacking a Called Target
Once someone calls a target, you may press the T key to immediately select the same target. You may then press the spacebar or click a skill in your skillbar to attack or use a skill on the called target.

Alternately, after pressing the T key, you may hold the CTRL button while pressing the spacebar or clicking a skill in your skill bar to announce that you are attacking the same called target. Doing so will post "I am attacking (target x)!" or "I am using (skill x) on (target y)!" in team chat.

Man, that's so good to know. To think of all the problems I have had and it was so simple. T! *doh*

Edit:

The following methods may be used to call a target but not attack. Doing so will cause your target to be marked by the methods mentioned above and post text in the team chat stating "I am targeting (target x)!"

Hold SHIFT+CTRL and double click your intended target
Select a target using a hotkey (C, T, ], et-cetera) mentioned above and:
Hold SHIFT+CTRL and press the spacebar
Hold SHIFT+CTRL and click a skill in your skillbar

Will wonders never cease? So I can call a TARGET so that my team mates can attack it for me while I sit back and watch. ;-) Now who wants to play with me?

Last edited:
Hi all. Ive got a question (I don't know if it is a silly one or not). I have been enjoying the Dragon Festival but I don't know what the victorary tokens are for. If someone could let me know before the end of the festival it would be much appreciated.

Have a great weekend all.

if you get 250 Victory Tokens you get a Demon Mask. Which you can wear! And its cool, then you can talk to the Mask dude in big cities and all of your characters can have that mask

Back