The Help a Newbie Thread

if you get 250 Victory Tokens you get a Demon Mask. Which you can wear! And its cool, then you can talk to the Mask dude in big cities and all of your characters can have that mask

Thanks. I almost got to the 250 and then had a major internet malfunction :mad: So next time.

ahhh :( maybe they will keep the guy there so you can get one, i dont think so. but maybe!

Figured a good thread topic to ask a few questions, if anyone can help.

I am slowly buildin up my 1st char (Ra/Mo - lvl9), and was wondering if there was anyway to use that char to assist with a speedier development of 2nd char? Also, is it better to focus skill points on a couple of key skills (fast increase in those) or keep them all relatively level and increasing? Is there a "pause" in the game? Any point in a lower level char playing with higher levels, or is it just asking for many quick deaths? Thanks for the tips, sorry if they are silly questions...

As for the first question: You can only use one character at a time, but we are willing to use our higher lvl characters to help you out anytime.

As for the second question: Skills become more potent the higher the attribute line is so you want to have your attributes spread out all over the place. For example: if you are a ranger and not using your pet, there would be no reason to put any points in beast mastery. You usually don't want to put points in more than four attribute areas.
As a ranger expertise attribute line can be important because it makes skills cheaper to use. This line also has some of the best defensive skills for a ranger. Wilderness survival is nice due to troll unguent which is one of the best ranger heals in the game. If you are a beast master though you might want to put no points in wilderness and use a heal spell in the beast mastery attribute line such as the elite skill "heal as one". And of course the higher marksmanship the more damage your bow will make. You don't have to use a bow though if your secondary class is something like an assasin or warrior.

Thanks for that. Makes sense!

On a side note, since the main page on the site seems to have a broken extcalendar (maybe cause of the search/hack of this com in the '06 timeframe?), is there another place that may have some schedule of times when events go on...or are there scheduled events? - Thanks again!

My char names are in my sig, you can ask me for help anytime you see me on, I'm usually looking for something constructive to do. And since I am finally getting decent at this game; thanks to some of the guys here, I will be able to help you out in most cases.

I am slowly buildin up my 1st char (Ra/Mo - lvl9), and was wondering if there was anyway to use that char to assist with a speedier development of 2nd char?
already answered. One char at a time, but you can get weapons from ur high char, and give them to your low char.

Also, is it better to focus skill points on a couple of key skills (fast increase in those) or keep them all relatively level and increasing?
Yes. Like Jawsofwar said, if you dont have a pet with you, no point in Beast Mastery.
Is there a "pause" in the game?
No, but if you out in the wilderness, you can just stand there, go AFK, and pray that no patrols come and eat you. Other than that you have to be in a town (you WONT die there... unless the Mad King makes a surprise apperance...)

Any point in a lower level char playing with higher levels, or is it just asking for many quick deaths?
Yes, theres tons of points for a low lvl playing with a high lvl. High lvls generally get to kill things better. Like if i bring my lvl 20 ranger to help you in Ascalon, i can kill things in 1 hit, where you will have to in maybe 6. Or my monk can keep you healed no matter what. Now, execpt for practice, and really good EXP, there generally no point to fight monsters more then a couple lvls above you... except when you have a higher lvl person helping you.

On a side note, since the main page on the site seems to have a broken extcalendar (maybe cause of the search/hack of this com in the '06 timeframe?), is there another place that may have some schedule of times when events go on...or are there scheduled events? - Thanks again!
lol, right now events are kinda up in the air. And you mostly have to be lvl 20 and ascended to partake in them... Mondays (I believe) is Bible Study. Tuesdays and Fridays are PvP (HoH) (you dont have to be lvl 20 because you can make a PvP character, that is already lvl 20, but the experiance from playing to lvl 20 helps, and you need to have lots of skills unlocked.) Every other Sat is Build Your Wealth Night (this you HAVE to be lvl 20, otherwise it wont let you into the area that we go into) and i believe thats it for now.

Thanks for the tips, sorry if they are silly questions...
Not silly at all, only way to learn about the game is to ask questions right? And at least we dont laugh at you and call you a noob like most people would when asked on Local Chat. Tho lately i have seen more respectful people :)

Thanks!

at least we dont laugh at you and call you a noob like most people

U can laugh at me, I can take it ;)

I still haven't asked for help during an online, as I am not sure what we would do? (just run around and kill monsters, which is cool, or are there some key tasks places to go...I am still exploring around Old Ascalon)

Couple more questions...should I be concerned about Elite Skills and trying to get them at a lvl 9, or just keep advancing/exploring? For items that I want to sell, such as Dye, do y'all (for the southerners, You's Guys, for the rest) post here to see if someone wants em first?

BTW, I took your advice, and changed up my attributes, and focused on Marksmanship, Expertise, Smiting and Healing...(dropped Beast Mastery to a 1, though will have to up that when my daughter wants to watch...) and I did much better in battles. Thanks for the tips.

Will be heading down to the Regents Valley area next to explore it...then I guess I will move to the Northern Wall mission/quests. (though I still need to work on my Me/El in the pre- area, as I think that Mesmer class is pretty cool).

(dropped Beast Mastery to a 1, though will have to up that when my daughter wants to watch...)

You can equip Charm animal in your regular build and when you leave town set your pet to "heel" this will keep it from attacking, and you'll be able to fight as usual while your pet levels (since your pet wont be fighting you can keep Beast Mastery as low as you can) This is the easiest way to create a "balanced" pet I believe. There are different evolutions a pet can go towards; Aggressive has an attack bonus and less HP, while the Hearty has more HP and less damage rate. Elder or no prefix pets are balanced; mid-way for Hp and damage. there are a few good articles about training pets; google brings up several articles :)

U can laugh at me, I can take it ;)
LOL... ok im done :p

I still haven't asked for help during an online, as I am not sure what we would do? (just run around and kill monsters, which is cool, or are there some key tasks places to go...I am still exploring around Old Ascalon)
mainly people help by
A) Doing quests
B) Doing Missions
C) lvling people up
D) Have fun
E) Teach
F) um.... im sure something else that i am not thinking of right now.

Couple more questions...should I be concerned about Elite Skills and trying to get them at a lvl 9, or just keep advancing/exploring?
In Tyria (which is where you are) you dont get elite skills still the desert. So dont worry about them now. You will be lvl 20 before you get an elite skill.

For items that I want to sell, such as Dye, do y'all (for the southerners, You's Guys, for the rest) post here to see if someone wants em first?
Dye is used to change colors on ur armor/weapons. Mainly you can just sell them (to a dye trader tho, not merchant) unless you feel like being nice and giving/selling it to people (most people collect dye) but be warned, BLACK, SILVER, WHITE, and RED are the most expensive (ranging from, I think, 3k to about 900gp)and you should keep those, Black is most prestigious, if you have black armor it shows you are rich enough to buy black dye (or at least play a lot to get them all, i have played 20 months and only gotten about 3 black dye drops)

Alright, so next time, don't trade away my black dye for that cool purple...got it! :eek:

yep! of course it is I who is giving you the purple and you giving me the black.. then its fine <_< >_>

:p

Wasn't me...ahem...I accept no less than a vial of purple dye (or I can be enticed with a Fetid Mass at times)!

I just created a new character, for my daughter, and when I started, it said I had new bonus items I could make using /bonus, which when typed in gave me a bunch of higher level items? Does that always happen and I missed it, or is it new?

I just created a new character, for my daughter, and when I started, it said I had new bonus items I could make using /bonus, which when typed in gave me a bunch of higher level items? Does that always happen and I missed it, or is it new?

you probably just missed it. Did you get collectors edition of Prophcies? That would give you some stuff i think.

again, dont be shy about asking for help on Ally chat. Its what we are here for.

You are right, I missed it. This was some sort of collectors or game of the year edition. They are all level 9+ stuff, so useful at some point. I cant sell, store or drop them...just delete them and recreate them.

If anyone knows some good ideas on how to fight well, and keep a low level ME alive, let me know...after about 8 deaths (in pre-...ugh), I switched back to my RA, as she seems to kick it a lot better! Did pick up some nice Monk spells.

Got a few Halloween bags as well. I saw some guys dancing as candy corn, and with pumpkins on, so I figure thats what they did. I'll save em for halloween...

BigFuz, whenever you are on give me a PM, i normally play as His Traveling Monk. Just add me to ur friends list and ask me to help out. I'd be more then happy too. Its kinda hard to explain without being there. Also if you get TS, that would great too! Not only will it help with learning, but you can participate and get closer with the guild(s)

Back