The Popes Opinion on Violence

Who chose the pope? God, or a man? If you can pm me a video of God coming down from heaven and choosing a man...

That, and the pope saying "evolution is right" and all that. (Was that this current one or the former?) AND I don't agree with a lot of the Catholic church. They chose him. So I question them, not God.

How can you prove God didn't? :cool:

Who chose the pope? God, or a man? If you can pm me a video of God coming down from heaven and choosing a man...

That, and the pope saying "evolution is right" and all that. (Was that this current one or the former?) AND I don't agree with a lot of the Catholic church. They chose him. So I question them, not God.

Its quite obvious to me that you don't know spiritual authority from what you just said.

If you really want to know that answers to your questions I would suggest that you read the book called "Spiritual Authority" by Watchman Nee.:)

My bad. Didn't mean to tick anyone off. Just a little humor with the discussion...

*Lowers his head in shame*

But I honestly, really, kinda, sorta, don't agree with how 'holy' he's supposed to be and how he's second only to God. That just doesn't play right with me.

Granted, I have some bias from my mother and my girlfriend, considering how badly that church (and some of its members) have treated them.

*THOUGHT*

Why not have an open religious discussion on Catholicism? NO BASHING. But I'd enjoy questioning some its beliefs. And of course, there's a great deal that I don't know all about.

But I honestly, really, kinda, sorta, don't agree with how 'holy' he's supposed to be and how he's second only to God. That just doesn't play right with me.
The same "Holy" as you, the same "second to God" as you, in the Lord Jesus Christ :)

Or are you the only one on which the word of God has come..
We are all brethren in Jesus! :D
One in Spirit with the Living God!!!

WooT!

Last edited:
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/15/pope.islam/

More criticism against the pope. However, I kind of agree with what he said.

BUT let's not change this thread to a discussion on Islam or whatever. If you want that, you can go Here

Hmm, actually I think that discussions on this should stay here, this is about the Pope & his speech after all.

His speech has defintely struck a strong chord. Try and be objective here for a minute...do you think followers of other religions, especially those outside this country, see the Pope as the leader, voice of ALL of Christianity and not just Catholicism?

Do you also think that you could be guilty of the same thing concerning other religions?

So the Pope calls out Muslims for what they are. The Muslims get ticked off about it and burn him in efigy. Now the Pope apologizes for speaking the truth. Hmmmm.

I wonder what would happen if the Vatican issued a statement that said the sun would rise in the east over Muslin countries. Would those countries also get ticked off and threaten diplomatic sanctions against the Vatican? I would think that if Muslims were truly concerned about the perception that others have regarding their religion, they would work to create a better public image. I know that the IRA (Irish Republican Army) did little to further the perception of peaceful Christians.

IMO - The Muslims were already up in arms regarding the Christians, and the Jewish people, and the Pagans, and the worshippers of the potato and any other religion other than Islam. (please see the Islam thread in RD) All the Pope did was bring it to light again. If Tony Blair had said it, the Muslim countries would be threatening sanctions against the UK and buring him in efigy.

Gen

Christians can't be guilty silly!

Jesus is the atonement for thier sins :D

That sanctimonious, holier than thou attitude, is why other religions hate you.

You refuse to see that Christianity is JUST LIKE other religions. It's no better than anything else.

You regress to a recess yard argument stating your daddy is better than their daddy. The difference is that disparaging someone's religion has a history of turning quite deadly.

So the Pope calls out Muslims for what they are. The Muslims get ticked off about it and burn him in efigy. Now the Pope apologizes for speaking the truth. Hmmmm.

I wonder what would happen if the Vatican issued a statement that said the sun would rise in the east over Muslin countries. Would those countries also get ticked off and threaten diplomatic sanctions against the Vatican? I would think that if Muslims were truly concerned about the perception that others have regarding their religion, they would work to create a better public image. I know that the IRA (Irish Republican Army) did little to further the perception of peaceful Christians.

IMO - The Muslims were already up in arms regarding the Christians, and the Jewish people, and the Pagans, and the worshippers of the potato and any other religion other than Islam. (please see the Islam thread in RD) All the Pope did was bring it to light again. If Tony Blair had said it, the Muslim countries would be threatening sanctions against the UK and buring him in efigy.

Gen

Are you being purposefully obtuse?

The Pope made a disparaging statement against ALL Muslims, not the minority that is causing problems. THAT is the issue here.

What ticks me off is y'all describing the Roman Catholic religion as Christian. It is not. While a Catholic individual may be a Christian, the Roman Catholic system as a whole is most certainly not. It is a cult on par with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. The Pope is nothing more that a cult leader.

Gen

Hey Gen I appreciate your view on that matter but its sounds like your biting my head off for saying what is the fact as a result of what he said.
My previous post was about the Pope and I did not condemn the Pope in it. I merely stated the truth.:)

Last edited:
Sorry Jesh, it was not directed at you. It was more a vent over the whole thing.

DV - I think my answer to this would probably be better served in another thread

The Pope is nothing more that a cult leader.

Moreso than a political figure?
Gen

It is a cult on par with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. The Pope is nothing more that a cult leader.

Whoa there! While there's no concrete definition of a cult in the Bible, there are a couple things that people generally use to tell a cult from a mainstream church.
1. Something else (a leader's words or books) is as or more important then the Bible. The Catholic church places nothing, including the words and works or the Popes, before the Bible.
2. Salvation by something more/other then grace and acceptance of Christ's death.
3. Secret beliefs that the common layperson isn't privy to, something that Catholicism lacks, though most people won't bother looking into most doctrine.
4. Exclusivity! Cults don't believe that anyone outside their group is going to heaven.
5. MONEY. If it's a cult it takes its members money and implies (if it doesn't outright state) that this money is buying them something spiritual. Scientology is the easiest example of this, because its members have to spend money to do anything.

Catholicism passes almost any test of cultishness, and the few areas where its questionable aren't canonical, they're practical. That means they vary over time and depending on which Priest/Pope you're thinking about.

The Pope is picked from the largest Christian denomination in the world, which means there's a pretty big pool to choose from. He's devoted most of his life EXCLUSIVELY to the service of God and sacrificed an enormous amount just so he can become closer to God. That kind of dedication alone should demand a much greater deal of respect from his Christian brothers, even if they doubt the judgement of the group of well-educated clergymen (who are also their elders) who chose the Pope.

That sanctimonious, holier than thou attitude, is why other religions hate you.

You refuse to see that Christianity is JUST LIKE other religions. It's no better than anything else.

You regress to a recess yard argument stating your daddy is better than their daddy. The difference is that disparaging someone's religion has a history of turning quite deadly.

Just 'cuz you don't believe doesn't mean that I can't! :D

Are you being purposefully obtuse?

The Pope made a disparaging statement against ALL Muslims, not the minority that is causing problems. THAT is the issue here.

the minority? I thought the Koran told them to kill off anyone else? So all TRUE muslims are troublemakers, right?

What ticks me off is y'all describing the Roman Catholic religion as Christian. It is not. While a Catholic individual may be a Christian, the Roman Catholic system as a whole is most certainly not. It is a cult on par with Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. The Pope is nothing more that a cult leader.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Catholics, Momons AND JW's are Christian.

Back