Time for a new computer??

Yeah dell outlet is crazy good prices for value, especially if you get a scratch and dent model (which never have any noticeable dents)

The only issue with Dell XPS machines (their good ones) is that they make them harder to upgrade due to a reverse case and motherboard, I find it rather annoying, but it would be very difficult to convert to a different case, I would have to replace half of the computer...However, I would also suggest Dell, my experience with them for the last 2 years has been, for the most part, positive...

I have bought two Dells in the past and never had a problem with either one. My desktop is going on 3 years now and I was thinking of getting a new one and giving this one ot my daughter for school.

P4 3.2 GHZ
2G RAM
Nvidia 6800 Card

Runs WAR fine, but was still looking at an upgrade.

Okay, so I know very little about some of the technology today on computers.
Shoud I get a Quad Core or a Duo Core? Vista 32-bit or 64 bit? Mind you I most use my computer for Gaming/Email/Web Surfing. (WAR in mind right now.) Can I get some pros/cons about that?

(I am already going w/ 4G RAM no matter what).

You need the 64bit OS if you want to really use 4gig of ram and beyond. 32bit seems to cap at 4gig and really less then that (around 3gig, depending on a lot of variables)

Depending on your budget, the more cores the better, really. Some games will not take advantage of the extra cores at this time, so a faster clock speed single core will out perform a multi-core on those games. To be ready for the future and the bleeding edge stuff, multi-cores is where we are heading.

You need Vista if you want DirectX 10 support which is also where games are heading.

Okay, so I know very little about some of the technology today on computers.
Shoud I get a Quad Core or a Duo Core? Vista 32-bit or 64 bit? Mind you I most use my computer for Gaming/Email/Web Surfing. (WAR in mind right now.) Can I get some pros/cons about that?

(I am already going w/ 4G RAM no matter what).

1.) I have never been over 1GB of RAM multitasking while gaming...4GB (to me) sounds insane, it would be a long time before you would be able to even hit the 2GB mark...

2.) Very FEW appz right now can even use 2 cores, let alone 4, yeah it seems cool, but even most games, including WAR can only use 2 cores, if it is a significant difference in price go 2 core, you wouldn't notice a difference between 2 and 4 for a few years yet...

3.) I would say XP, Vista is a resource hog, which many people could care less about, I do...32-bit is fine, no real reason for 64-bit...

4.) My specs are: 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo, 250GB and 400GB HDs, 2 GB RAM, 512MB 8800 GT... And my rig will run everything at max and probably continue to do so for a few years...

2.) Very FEW appz right now can even use 2 cores, let alone 4, yeah it seems cool, but even most games, including WAR can only use 2 cores, if it is a significant difference in price go 2 core, you wouldn't notice a difference between 2 and 4 for a few years yet...

Um there are already 8-cores out and HP has decided to skip 10-core and go straight to 12-cores very soon. 12 is a better number for being divided by 2,3 and 4. I would get on the multi-core bandwagon ASAP. Both Valve and Crytek have said they are jumping on multi cores for the Source and Crysis engine. Last year multi core did not have a lot of applications supporting, that is all changing now and to ignore that in a new PC purchase would not be wise.

3.) I would say XP, Vista is a resource hog, which many people could care less about, I do...32-bit is fine, no real reason for 64-bit...

That is why you get the 64bit and 4gig+ of ram. Then the resource hog is a non-issue and you can run all the cool desktop widgets you want.

DirectX 10 is key for running new games, you need Vista for that.

Last edited:
SLI is taking 2 PCIe slot Video cards and connecting them together. This does not give dbl the frame rate but it can definitely make huge performance gains vs a single video card. (of course the game needs to support it as well) This is similar to using dual processor but done with video cards. You need both a motherboard w/a chipset that is SLI compliant as well as having 2 good cards that can be put together.

SLI is called Crossfire when using AMD/ATI cards

I am looking at a new gaming rig with 2x Radeon 4850 in Crossfire Configuration

I am not an expert on this, I just know a little bit, this wiki article is pretty good at explaining the details and the 3-way thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

Last edited:
Back