Ventrilo option.

Fade

Hello, on my phone again so sorry for any typos. After speaking with my wife, we agreed it'd be ok for us to rent a 20 slot server for the aion legion. I would set up the guild leader and officers with permissions as needed. If this is a viable option for u guys, please let me know. I don't wanna rent the server only to find out u guys wanna do something else. Hehe. Lemme know and gimme some feedback, thanks!!,

Are there any advantages of using vent over teamspeak?

Teamspeak is free and that holds a lot of weight to me. I'm already paying $15 a month for Aion. Don't want to dig unneeded in to the pocket.

Personally I prefer the sound quality of vent vs TS. Perhaps we may be able to chip i and help

it'd be fine until we had to upgrade. plus i'd like to test it out for a month in-game to see if everyone's ping does well and what not before anyone starts helpin' out. make sure it'd be what we want and all. normally i'd be all over this, but alas.. house payment, car payment, bills, in this economy...! We're definately in God's hands!

Are there any advantages of using vent over teamspeak?

Teamspeak is free and that holds a lot of weight to me.
Exactly.

I've sent a request to the Christian Gamers Alliance's TeamSpeak Server Operator to add a new channel for the Aion chapter. For information on using the CGA TS Server, click here.

I'm not opposed to the Aion guild using Ventrilo, but I'd like to appoint a new Guild Leader to help make the decision rather than make the decision myself. In the interim, TeamSpeak is available and free!

ok, i'll wait for a legion leader's decision.

edit: nvm on this i guess. sorry for redundant posts.

Last edited:
Ventrilo vs. Teamspeak

Yes, there are advantages to Ventrilo over Teamspeak. Having used both, here's what I discovered:
1. Ventrilo has better sound quality (as noted above in a previous post)
2. Ventrilo allows individual volume adjustment; this is the main reason Ventrilo usually gets preference. If someone's microphone is transmitting the person at a whisper, you can turn up that person 800% so you can hear them. If another person's microphone is transmitting the person at a shout, you can turn down that person's volume to your liking. In Teamspeak (unless they've recently changed it), you simply have to endure the whispers and shouting.
3. Ventrilo allows individuals in the same household to have independent accounts through the same router's address. Last I heard, Teamspeak was working on that, too, but I don't know if they ever implimented it. So if you are in a house with two computers using a router, you can both have independent voices in Ventrilo.
4. Ventrilo also allows private chat, and pasting website URLs in the comments. I don't know how to work that feature, but I have seen it done on several occasions. In some MMOs, copy and paste was a problem and Ventrilo had a good workaround.

So those are some of the features I know about. Teamspeak isn't as sophisticated as Ventrilo, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. And you can't beat "free" on Teamspeak, but if the money isn't a "deal breaker" then Ventrilo is the better "buy". :cool:

if i rented a server, it wouldn't be through ToJ, thus rendering it useless. i'll have to retract my offer based on ToJ's preference.

Taran:
Let's address the FUD myths first:

1. you get what you pay for is not always the truth. The cga server runs Linux...a free operating system which by it's very deisgn is more secure than windows...doesn't have the litany of security issues of windows...is free..and 99% of all system updates do NOT require a reboot. If you want to hear about the basic design flaw<s> in windows head to http://www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com/archives/1950
2. The apache webserver platform is the number one webserver across windows AND linux servers. Compared to IIS it has much better security and does not suffer from remote system takeover flaws as much as iis does and apache costs nothing. apache is more secure by design.

Now for other issues:
3. My and Gen both hook into TS from behind my firewall without issue and have been since we started using teamspeak over 7 years ago..this is nothing new.

4. Ventrillo has some very draconian Terms of service that place anyone running a vent server at a security risk. As per the licensing agreement for 3.0.0 which has been present since 2,x:
4.1.8 You agree not to use any kind of router, firewall or other internet device to
redirect IP or port numbers to obscure the actual IP address and port number of
any of your Servers on which the Software is installed.
This means NAT is out. Many many folks use NAT to share an ip or for security or both(including hosting providers). While this is only one layer you aren't allowed to use it's one of the primary layers used.

5. you can send messages including links in teamspeak as well either privately or publicly and have been able to for at least 5 years.

Now in vent's favor:
1. individualized volume controls
2. Sound quality(i am going by folks posts on this one)

if i rented a server, it wouldn't be through ToJ, thus rendering it useless. i'll have to retract my offer based on ToJ's preference.
again if you coordinate through tek then it's not an issue..i have always said that..coordinate through tek. Case in point redeemed(the wow chapter) has it's own vent server but they pay for it..they did however coordinate with tek BEFORE doing that.

for both of your #4 issues, i wouldn't have been hosting the server myself, but rather renting the server from another company (there's many out there).

and i agree with you on linux. i've tried a lot of them out a while back and they were very cool. it's a little difficult to get around, because the setup is different, but other than that, it had anything i needed and more. however, i couldn't hardly find anything that i used, to be compatible with linux and needed 'windows emulator' type programs to run. and mmorpg's run really rough, or at least did so for me. i think that's linux's biggest downfall, is simply lacking the compatability of programs. i could easily be wrong, however.

edit: yea, the place i was gonna go through woulda been $4/mo for a 20 slot. then $10 for a 50. (for renting a vent server)

Last edited:
I think that if you want to go the 20 person route, that is very generous and would be received well I am sure. If you coordinate it with Tek you will get the added possibility of running it through ToJ. That way if you decide to bail on Aion or if you need more the 20 slots, you can ask the community to donate towards the cause through ToJ donations. This should be alot easier to generate support vs if you are just asking for personal donations.

You may need to foot the bill the first few months if you want it right away, but over time it is possible that the guild as a whole pays for the cost (like the WoW/WAR vent does) and then you can upgrade the slots that much easier as the guild grows.

By running it through with Tek you will ensure that guildies see the staying power of the Vent server vs one family controlling it. That being said, I know the WoW vent was personally donated by one couple for 4+ years before they switched to a ToJ-guild-donation one

Last edited:
i wasn't gonna be asking for donations. this was gonna be from outta my pocket, which is why i had to consult my wife first. (yes, i know, it's only $4 but we've got a lot of bills atm and are watching our spending closely)

the donations part woulda come down the line when we would need 50+ slots and/or a better ping option. if i would be renting it, i shouldn't have to go through ToJ. i didn't realize that the WaR and WoW chapters paid for their vent through ToJ (tek). and if they don't, that's a pretty harsh double standard to deal out. danged if i do, danged if i don't, so i might as well not even bother and just wait for someone else to do it and hopefully it gets done, cuz the game comes out tomorrow.

edit: any chance on the name change yet?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow. How are you danged if i do, danged if i don't? It seems like win win to me all around. No one is saying you "have" to do something, we are just providing suggestions and reasoning why those suggestions will benefit the whole chapter.

Last edited:
i know i dont have to do anything, which is why i'm doing nothing. if me bailing on aion and only gives the legion a month or so to find a new vent, then wow. something new should be able to be found in that time. the only way i'd completely shut down a server people are using immediately (it's an option with rented vent servers) would be due to some horrific events which are highly unlikely, or at least should be unlikely in a Christian community. if it's going through ToJ, it's not me renting it, it's me donating to ToJ to rent it. so what's the point? i might as well let someone else do it since everyone wants to run things through ToJ. ToJ and CGA seem to be the same thing from this point of view. (i didn't sign up for ToJ)

Please, don't get me wrong. I get it. Everything regarding this legion must be ran through ToJ. I won't make any further suggestions of offers. I got it!

sorry for being sour, but oi... not much gets done and the game is upon us. hopefully i'm not coming across as hardcore or elitist, cuz im not. i've never found a Christian community EVER for online gaming that i could be a part of. a clean chat and respectable, understanding players? they are so few and far between and most, that i have actually found, are progressionLESS. they take ages to get to end-cap, then struggle through simple instances/dungeans/pvp/whatever. Perhaps I'm in the wrong place or just got my hopes up too high.

yea, so maybe i sound 'particular' but this IS important to me as it's basically a new hobby i'm jumping into.

Last edited:
Sorry for replying to my own post as it's something that annoys me, but i figured it's ok for this situation regarding The Elect (unless the name gets changed) and myself.

Thanks ewok, like i said, i don't mean to sound sour. perhaps this has happened with other people before? and if not, hopefully a lot can be learned from this experience. i'm not trying to bail on u guys (The Elect legion, on CGA) - i'm just hoping this all works out for the best.

i'm responding to my own post (unless someone slides something in there while i'm typing, lol) because i want to leave my original frustrations out there so people know where i'm coming from.

I don't have any issues with anyone on here, please understand that! i'll try again and without sounding negative or 'snotty'. I will withhold offers and direct suggestions. (hmm, how to explain that... by direct suggestions, i mean, if i see where something could improve, i might say something, but i'm not gonna offer to do it myself? i hope that makes sense lol!)

Maybe this will help you guys to understand as well: i would rather use teamspeak and be with cool, respectable, and understanding people... than dump TS for vent and play where the community is potentially trash.

I'm not saying i won't mould to the legion, cuz i'm willing to. just please bear with me!

edit: ALSO, please know i'm not trying to stir up any drama either. drama is evil! so if any of u feel like this is turning into such an evil thing, i'm sorry and not meaning to!!!

Last edited:
The Elect (unless the name gets changed)

There's talk of change? :confused:

if it's going through ToJ, it's not me renting it, it's me donating to ToJ to rent it. so what's the point?

From what I see, it would still be you renting it. As your funds would be directly put towards the vent. Also, since ToJ is currently not looking at keeping it up. The vent would totally rely on you.

if me bailing on aion and only gives the legion a month or so to find a new vent, then wow. something new should be able to be found in that time

I believe that ToJ's idea is.....
A.) If you start a vent your self an then leave or be unable to keep paying. In order to keep vent going for the guild, they would either have to start a new vent or go through trouble of getting things transfered.
B.) However, if it starts off through ToJ. Then all that would be needed is for someone else willing to pay the bill. No hassel, and guild has seemsless transition.

sorry for being sour, but oi... not much gets done and the game is upon us.
It happens. :(
But I beleive that they should be ready to set up a TS for us in the mean time. That should be ok till we get everthing with the vent cleared.

yea, so maybe i sound 'particular' but this IS important to me as it's basically a new hobby i'm jumping into.

I'm in the same boat. I very much want to see thing succeed well.

heya, sup. i talk of 'legion name change' because the poll is still up and it was my understanding that it could potentially change. i dunno. i dun care either way! i like elect (and not just cuz i submitted the name) but i also like the other names too. if it sticks, i dunno. ;D

if toj gets a vent going, that is paid for by the legion's members (which is only fair, as mentioned previously, somewheres), it would be the same as me donating to the vent server. i'm not saying i wouldn't help support vent, just that i wouldn't rent one through someone else... it creates a middleman. and getting a new vent started shouldn't be such a hard task, but again, it's not really a big deal.

if that gets changed in the future, so be it. i might be getting frustrated, but i hope i don't come across as angry, as i'm sure i've angered some admins... (forgive me tek/hcs?)

i just know we gotta get stuff going, and soon.

family beckons, must be off. PEAZ ;D

Thanks for the clarification, Hescominsoon. Its good that TS has made improvements to the quality of their product, though it would be nice if they also one day include improvements to their sound quality and individualized volume control. :)

Back