[Weekly - F/Sa] Week In Review

Kendrik

I'd also be interested to hear about what you're doing for work these days, but I realize that's a personal matter so don't feel pressured to answer unless you really want to.
Sure, no problem. I'm a systems consultant for the seminary I attended. I did systems development while I lived there, but in a student employee capacity. They didn't have the ability to hire me full time permanently, so I left and moved my family back to the PNW to be near my wife's family. Just after getting here, my former supervisor and mentor figure died unexpectedly. Given that he was it for the systems people, the seminary suddenly had great need, and I was one of two people who worked with him in a capacity that would make covering duties possible. They asked me if I would come back to take the job, but we declined since family was still a thing (and we wanted our son to grow up around family). In the year since, I've steadily been helping them keep things going as a remote consultant. I was effectively "the guy" for over half a year. They finally found a new permanent hire, but they hired him based on sensed work culture compatibility and capacity to learn the job. Until he's ready to fly solo, I still help them keep moving along. And I get to work from home, whenever I can, by removing in. It's a good, even if ultimately temporary, arrangement. Extremely helpful when my wife has had a somewhat more difficult pregnancy this time around, and the property we're on has many upleep needs.

Thread starter #202

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Still alive.

Work was much, much busier than previous weeks thanks to project go live dates at 4 of my sites. The go lives were crammed in to 2 days so it was interesting, to say the least.

Kids are still on summer break, but the heat has us staying indoors more often than we would. We are all very eagerly anticipating more moderate temperatures. As soon as it cools off, I plan to take the kids to a park so they can burn off some excess energy. Also hoping to make use of some summer activity passes (e.g. bowling, zoo, museum, aquarium, etc.) before summer ends.

BUT IT'S JUST SO STINKING HOT.

Got to go on a date night with @Ember at our church this last Friday. We both drove straight from work, but it still counts as a date night! There was food, a comedian, and other couples (most of whom we already knew) at our table at the dinner. A fun time was had by all (or, at least, by us). :)

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
im alive, God is growing me, though it is getting a little old at this rate XD

ive been running like crazy and just really tired.

Thinking of changing my business model slightly but still trying to pray through it all.

its hard just waiting on things...... i just want things to work and spend time with HeavyArms. To me, and I might be crazy, but I don't think work is a total curse, we were meant to create as a part of our image. That and total amount of hours worked doesn't always equal the value we believe it should.

Its been pretty discouraging, lost a bid where I should have won by default, websites feel like a race to the bottom of the price barrel now-days, and I've had a few bigger leads.... but admittedly.... they are.... trying to phrase nicely.... blind to their own businesses because they sit too close and can't see the struggles that consulting could fix and make them more profitable...

So that being said, we're looking at a few different things while maintaining our current contracts.

Its been weird too, there have been about 5 local deaths in the last couple of months and its starting to wear a bit. One had even come to our small group a few times, but committed suicide two months ago. Another was a kid who crashed his bike in a way that his handle bar impaled himself on his bike and passed away yesterday in a neighborhood a couple blocks down. among other things, its hard to see past that stuff sometimes ya know?

Don't mean to be a total downer on stuff, but just sharing where we're at. I know the yoke is "easy" but it doesn't mean it can't get heavy from time to time.

Kendrik

XenForo needs a "Hug" button next to the like and reply options. Sorry to hear about the state of things, Atown. Life is rough sometimes. The Psalmists get that.

Thread starter #205

Tek7

Staff member
This week at work was relatively quiet with periods of focused project work.

Summer is quickly drawing to a close and it takes mental discipline to take deep breaths and not hyperventilate when I consider how crammed my and @Ember's schedule is going to be this fall. I'm confident God will see us through it; I just need to work through my own high-strung-ness.

Kids are in good health. Our little keeps getting bigger and our big is so very ready for school to start (unlike me and her mama).

Ember and I built a bunk bed for the kids this week and they're super-hyped. Plans long (LONG) in the works are finally seeing fruition and it's both rewarding and nerve-wracking (because what are we going to do with this old furniture?).

All in all, doing well, but, being real, also somewhat stressed. Feeling tested in terms of trusting God to order our days and found lacking, but praying and working to do better. Your prayers, as always, are appreciated.

Thread starter #206

Tek7

Staff member
Oy, this work week was super duper busy. Got a lot done, but still a lot to do next week. Project work took priority over the ticket queue and will continue to do so Monday, but I'm hoping I'll be done with project stuff by mid-week and I can catch up on tickets.

Family is doing well. Older child started school on Wednesday. Younger child starts preschool tomorrow. They grow so fast! <3

Didn't have an opportunity to work out this week due to one-time events and I'm feeling it. X| Planning to get back to a regular schedule this week.

Had an extremely rare opportunity to enjoy a few hours of quiet at home yesterday when @Ember brought our girls to a baby shower. Relaxed for about 1/3 of the time and worked on the house (with loud music, yeah buddy) the rest of the time.

Life remains very busy and will get busier still once we add in dance and Wednesday night church for both girls. We're very excited about new Wednesday night programs for the kids this fall. I'm just bracing for having less time each week to work on the house. Stuff piles up fast when both parents work outside the home. :/

Please keep praying for wisdom regarding time, peace, and clear leading on where God would have us apply the gifts He's given us. In the limitations of my perspective, I don't see where or how God would have us get more involved in our local church, but I trust He has a plan for us on that front.

Kendrik

Late to the party. Spectre-6 came on the 10th. He's doing really well! Spent a little over 48 hours in the hospital from check-in to discharge. Working on adjusting to/finding a new normal. Super helpful that my mother-in-law has been staying with us for the first two weeks. But that also means that whatever normal we try to establish now isn't actually a new normal, just a temporary one.

But a temporary one that is enabling more sleep than if she weren't here, and that alone is a huge perk for transition. It's good to have her here even beyond the simple fact of sleep, of course.

Beyond that, trying to get my work hours in since I'm an hourly contractor, and expenses don't care that I've just had a kid. haha

And also sold some gaming gear of the last month to fund a Switch with no outta pocket expense. Once I spot a deal I'm ready to bite on, I'll be ordering/picking one up.

Last edited:
Thread starter #208

Tek7

Staff member
Still alive.

Work calmer than it was during my last check-in, but that's likely to change in late September/early October.

Took a family trip with @Ember and the kiddos for Labor Day weekend. Was much fun, but traveling with two young children is exhausting. Pulling a muscle in my lower back 2 days before we drove 2 hours to our destination didn't help.

Speaking of the pulled muscle, it's healing nicely and I FINALLY got back to working out today. (Don't worry. I was careful.) It was good to be back, but, wow, I definitely felt the effects of going 2 weeks without a workout.

Wednesday night church started for our older child this last week, which means we are fully back in the swing of our fall schedule. Oof. No rest for the wicked parents.

Grateful for what I got, but wouldn't mind a legit break (I feel like weekends don't count when you have young kids) now and then. But, by the grace of God, I shall soldier on!