Which voice chat program should we use?

Which voice chat program?

• Total voters
I chose TS3 because I had a lot of issues with Vent during my time playing Aion/WAR/WoW. The settings would mess up, crazy latency (on my end that doesn't affect TS3), or I would get no sound.

Just sayin'.

I've had problems with Vent, If I'm lagging then it saves what a person says and sends it to me all at once when they said the thing 2 mins ago... I've had no problems with TS3.

I've had problems with Vent, If I'm lagging then it saves what a person says and sends it to me all at once when they said the thing 2 mins ago... I've had no problems with TS3.

That's really strange. I've never heard of that! I don't think that's happened to anyone on our Warcraft vent server.

From the poll, it appears I'll be needing to download/learn Teamspeak though...

I have come across that before in Vent and TS3 as well. Once in Rift (TS3) we were hearing a person respond to a conversation that happened 2 mins prior. It was really funny.

The setup we have in TS3 is really nice for community building in TOJ and getting others that are involved in many other games to visit and consider SWTOR.

Vent would give us some community with the WoW chapter but that is about it.

For pure quality mumble has no competition, once you play on a mumble server you don't want to go back. It is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately we do not have one. That being said, the code is open source so we could have CGA set one up for free if we have the bandwidth. Heck we should dump TS3 and turn it in to a mumble server in my opinion. SOOOOOOOO much better.

Keep in mind that if you all decide to go with Ventrilo, you'll be expected to pitch in for the ToJ Ventrilo server hosting bill.

Yeah that's the other thing, if we are going to pay we might as well have something that we have 100% control over.

The Mumble deal is 100% right, I have never had something work that well in game.

BUT outside of that I will go with what ever you guys want.

Mumble is the best option as it works best being your own personal server. The only problem is you have to have a computer set aside to run all the time for it to be usable by everyone.

If we had some host it who had a good uplink then yes!

What is the Mumble advantage?

Mumble has very low latency combined with good sound quality; it uses CELT and Speex, not just the voice compression technology, but also the voice preprocessing to remove noise and improve clarity. Mumble also has positional audio for supported games, meaning the other players' voice will come from the direction their character is in game.

also something neat is: There is an integrated overlay for use in games.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumble_(software)#cite_note-potm-2The overlay shows who is talking and what linked channel they are in. Users can upload their own avatars to represent themselves in the overlay, creating a much more personalized experience

Last edited:
If we had some host it who had a good uplink then yes!

What is the Mumble advantage?

Mumble has very low latency combined with good sound quality; it uses CELT and Speex, not just the voice compression technology, but also the voice preprocessing to remove noise and improve clarity. Mumble also has positional audio for supported games, meaning the other players' voice will come from the direction their character is in game.

also something neat is: There is an integrated overlay for use in games.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumble_(software)#cite_note-potm-2The overlay shows who is talking and what linked channel they are in. Users can upload their own avatars to represent themselves in the overlay, creating a much more personalized experience

Me Gusta

I voted Vent because it's what I've used in the past, but I really wouldn't care too terribly much. Go go Mumble if it's the best. I've never heard of it myself, but i've been out of voice chat for a couple years.

I like Teamspeak, but I have heard great things about mumble. Only reason I didn't vote for it is because I've never used it or have any experience with it.

I've used both Vent and TS3 and feel that the voice quality is much better with TS3. Mumble sounds promising, though. I'll have to look into it.

Back