Which voice chat program should we use?

Which voice chat program?

• Total voters
A friend of mine owns an ISP and hosts my family website. I'm going to hit him up and see if he would be willing to let me run Mumble on it, it just sounds too good to pass up.

what? how have we not got that yet? Grim you have some explaining to do! :D

Tek wants all ToJ chapter sites site to be hosted on the ToJ servers. That way we don't have to worry about it if the person supporting a specific chapter/guild site decides that they can't do it anymore.

have we thought about using the Vent that Gilga pays for? I know if we get bigger we can look at getting something of our own. Just an idea...

I personally don't care and find that all work well for me...

Well the deal with that is, if we bring in 25+ more users we will have to purchases a big upgrade for their Vent server. If we are going to go the paid route, might as well go with mumble and get the best quality and have it all to ourselves. Then we don't have to deal with any griefing directed towards or admin issues with another guild

Also if someone hosts a free mumble server and has a good upload, we can have the best of all worlds, quality and free!

I will constantly be encouraging and pushing people to jump in voice chat, it is such a better way to connect with your guild mates and pretty much mandatory you at least listen in for Flashpoint/heroic2&4 quests/Battlegrounds/Operations. It just grows better bonds and stops cliques when a guild is active in voice chat. I remember in my last guild, the day I joined a friendly member whispered me "welcome to the guild and get your butt in mumble, guild chat is dead but voice chat is fun times!" They were so right, I had a ton of fun with them, making jokes and talking strategy.

I think we will very quickly have a ton of people in voice chat and need a solid solution. Ventrillo is old school and pales in comparison to mumble.

heck if people would donate 50cents a month we could easily have a 50slot server. (50slots run around $7-10/mo)

Last edited:
you know what, I will front $10 and get us a month of 50 slot mumble going, if a few others are willing to drop $1 a month or something to help keep it going. I would think we could raise $60 quick and have half a year paid in advance. having our own setup and full admin control will be soooo much better then relying on others.

Last edited:
you know what, I will front $10 and get us a month of 50 slot mumble going, if a few others are willing to drop $1 a month or something to help keep it going. I would think we could raise $60 quick and have half a year paid in advance. having our own setup and full admin control will be soooo much better then relying on others.

Just tell me how to donate!

So, my buddy is willing to try, but has no clue how to set it up and isn't too comfortable with the idea since my bandwidth levels are really just email and stuff, thats why its free. He is willing to try it though, as it may be something he can offer in his hosting services in the future. However, if we can get 50 persons for 10 bucks a month, I'll kick a buck (please someone get that reference). Would we just make a monthly donation to TOJ and ask that it be routed to the Mumble server cost?

Im willing to support such an effort as well... Willing to donate $1 per month or heck just give you $10 now and $10 later in the year. Its well worth the investment really.

http://www.nfoservers.com/order.php?type=murmur

These guys are looking to be the best so far. Really good prices, their forums seem to have happy customers and I cant find any negative reviews yet. They have test servers at each network location so we can find on that gives the lowest ping for everyone. They let you run Mumble unrestricted so we can change codecs and run at max quality as desired.

Grim needs to give the OK and I will get going on it.

If you really want to do it then it sounds fine by me. My only concern would be that most people don't already have mumble, so they'll have to download another new voice chat program. If mumble is as good as you say I think they'll get over it, though. Just to be safe, I would suggest trying not to pay too much up front if possible. That way if we decide in a few months that we'd like to try something else we can do that. We'll also need to get in touch with Tek/Elihu to figure out how to get it set up. Either way, I don't think you need to be in a rush to get it ready, since we can use teamspeak for free as long as we need to do so.

Right on. I will contact Tek and see what the situation with donations and official/un-official is. Teamspeak is free and that's nice, but to have mumble for launch will make it even easier on us as members only have to worry about 1 software install. (its super simple too) Plus all the bonuses like a working overlay with graphical avatars is win. We can do a single month first and then decide if we love it for a 6month discount or w/e.

Right on. I will contact Tek and see what the situation with donations and official/un-official is. Teamspeak is free and that's nice, but to have mumble for launch will make it even easier on us as members only have to worry about 1 software install. (its super simple too) Plus all the bonuses like a working overlay with graphical avatars is win. We can do a single month first and then decide if we love it for a 6month discount or w/e.

Sounds fine to me. I haven't tried mumble before, so I'll be looking forward to that.

Back