Why is a curse word a curse word?

OK then.... I hope you checked in private and not in fornt of anyone! If you did I would have to say AARRRRRG!!!

Anyway, I think who wants to know what curses mean now does and most of us understand cursing is just stupid.

Rizz do i still get to perform your marriage cerimony ^_^ cuz you the sexy man and we all know the chicks dig the rat
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Sep. 28 2004,10:57)]There is nothing in the bible that specifically says:

Thou shalt not use the F word and causeth astericks to show up on the TOJ server.

There is Jesus teaching that it is what comes out of a persons mouth that defiles them.  And it is words (that are formed in the heart) that comes out of the mouth.  Se be mindful of the things you set your heart upon.  If you dwell on anger because some guy just HSed you with a scout, then pretty much anything coming out of your mouth will reflect that anger.  If you dwell on the Lord, you can't help be praise God with your mouth.
Do you argue that anger is wrong?

Was Christ not angry with the Pharisees, the money changers in the temple, and his other political enemies? Does God the Father not have anger?

If we are to restrict language because we are restricting anger, according to what justification do we do so?

Patriot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Was Christ not angry with the Pharisees, the money changers in the temple, and his other political enemies? Does God the Father not have anger?

There is a HUGE difference between rightious anger and just being angry at someone. When Jesus cleared the Temple, it was because they had taken the practices God had set forth and made a mockery of worship and sacrifice. That kind of anger and getting angry because someone just headshot you in CS for the 6th round in a row are very, very different.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thaddius @ Oct. 02 2004,3:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Was Christ not angry with the Pharisees, the money changers in the temple, and his other political enemies?  Does God the Father not have anger?

There is a HUGE difference between rightious anger and just being angry at someone.  When Jesus cleared the Temple, it was because they had taken the practices God had set forth and made a mockery of worship and sacrifice.  That kind of anger and getting angry because someone just headshot you in CS for the 6th round in a row are very, very different.

Cory
OH!  I see!  SOME behaviors are righteous and some aren't?
Ah... and we are to judge this for ourselves?  Right?

Christ tells us to judge our neighbors, condemn their behavior, and ban them from our sight,.... or did he tell us to judge not, lest we be judged?

It's going to get complicated if you want to dive into the nature of righteousness and sin.  Let me just give you the the last page of the discussion.  There is only one sin... failing to accept Christ Jesus as Savior.  Wasting time on all the particulars will distract us from the universal.  

Patriot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Patriot @ Oct. 02 2004,4:39)]There is only one sin... failing to accept Christ Jesus as Savior.  Wasting time on all the particulars will distract us from the universal.  
oh truly?  

Failing to accept Jesus is not a sin.  It never has been, and never will be.  Accepting Jesus as our Lord saves us from the punishment our sins deserve.

As well we need to 'waste time' on the particulars.  For we should attempt to live our lives as close to Christ's as possible, which means knowing, and obeying the rules that God and our leaders have put in place.

As well, forgiveness and sanctification that Christ provides does not mean we can do whatever we desire.  NO!  If we're truly accepting forgiveness for a sin, then that means we have to strive to never do it again, for the Bible says, when we fail after forgiveness, then we are effectively re-crucifiying Christ.

actually patriot--accepting christ is the cure for sin, not the absence of sin. All christians sin, and they have accetped Christ. to say that the only sin is not accepting christ is dangerous. james 4:17 "to him that knoweth to good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin"

in the situation of cursing, a majority of the world views it as uncooth, or unchristian, so what is it for us to hold out tongue, for the sake of those who have not accepted christ. Remember, your witness is valuable, somewhat to us, but ultimately to those around us who have not accepted christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]OH!  I see!  SOME behaviors are righteous and some aren't?
Ah... and we are to judge this for ourselves?  Right?

Christ tells us to judge our neighbors, condemn their behavior, and ban them from our sight,.... or did he tell us to judge not, lest we be judged?

It's going to get complicated if you want to dive into the nature of righteousness and sin.  Let me just give you the the last page of the discussion.  There is only one sin... failing to accept Christ Jesus as Savior.  Wasting time on all the particulars will distract us from the universal.  

Patriot

I have a few questions for you Patriot, before I submit my rebutle.

1.  Are you a Christian?
2.  Do you read the Bible?
3.  Do you attend a Church, if so, what kind?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. 3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Matthew 7, we are told to be careful in how we judge because we will be hold to the same standards we hold others to.  How can we point out someone elses sin when we have not righted ours before God?  As a Christian we are to make judgements every day between what is right and wrong, what is Holy and what is not holy.  What deems what is acceptable?  The Bible tells us what is acceptable and what is not.  We must hold true to that standard in how we present ourselves to the world with the name Christian.  Most of the time with profanity it is either directed at someone, or used as an adjective to add emphesis to whatever is being stated.  Is it necessary to speak in such a manor that is socially unacceptable in a Christian environment?  We don't think so.  It is a choice to speak without using that type of language.

As for my post about the difference between rightious and unrightious anger, I never compared us to Christ in doing what we do.  I said what Christ did was rightious and the other is not.  I will stand on that point anyday.  He was defending His fathers temple.  blasting out profanity when you die in a video game does not even compare to doing what Christ did.  

I've been where you are, and it too made me angry when people pointed out that my thoughts were not aligned with the teachings of Christ.  With Christian love and perseverance, you can overcome it.  If you are willing.

Cory

Just a couple more thoughts to ponder on this topic....

Doesn't the Bible tell us
1. to be angry, but sin not
2. to walk worthy of the calling you have received, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, accepting one another in love.
3. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Gen

What is the definition of corrupt though?

For example, the definition of a female dog.  Is it wrong to call someone a female dog?  Is it wrong to call someone a son of a female dog?  Is this what is termed as "corrupt"?  Or have people corrupted its meaning, thus damning the word?

I think most people can agree that "you dirty dog" isn't corrupt, right? But once the FEMALE term gets used, watch out!

I agree with u DV me and my friends sometimes say waz up dog. So of cource when we say it to a girl we use the b word and none of them have ever gotten offended by it.

i guess its a raising issue, Im 22, and if my dad heard me say that, i would be decked by him still..

Thats what my dad says, but he'll sit in the car and listen to my rap music swearing and all because he knows I like it, and I don't swear that much.

But yeah if I used the wrong word my dad would drop me too.
smile.gif

i got a question/comment

i know everyone does it, I do it too, lets say you get pwned in cs for the 100th time by poison and you say "gosh darn it" or "oh fiddle sticks" "thats a piece of crap" etc. everyone knows that all those terms are the toned down, less profane sayings instead of using the real ones. So by saying these but really meaning the real ones are you still cursing? When you say gosh darn it would that be considered using the lords name in vain? Because honestly we all know thats what it really means

Just my thoughts on this

Tim

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Patriot @ Oct. 02 2004,4:39)]It's going to get complicated if you want to dive into the nature of righteousness and sin. Let me just give you the the last page of the discussion.
You sound way too arrogant ... you have way too much faith in yourself. Please don't come here giving us the "holier than thou" speech when you don't know what you're talking about in the first place. And yes, the Bible did tell me I can judge people ... I can judge people by their fruits. "Judge not" isn't about reacting to what people say or do, judging that is wrong is an attitude.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is the definition of corrupt though?

For example, the definition of a female dog. Is it wrong to call someone a female dog? Is it wrong to call someone a son of a female dog? Is this what is termed as "corrupt"? Or have people corrupted its meaning, thus damning the word?

I think most people can agree that "you dirty dog" isn't corrupt, right? But once the FEMALE term gets used, watch out!

1 rotten, putrefied
2 corrupted by one and no longer fit for use, worn out
3 of poor quality, bad, unfit for use, worthless

Please note #3

Back