Zerg Thoughts

everything about zerg is just tedious and full of obstacles. it's like, hey! you guys can use these units, but they're only useful if you have creep tumors everywhere, otherwise they're useless. oh, you need to have a lot more bases and have a stronger econ than the other races, BUT we made it almost impossible for you to achieve that unless the opponent you're playing is several levels below you and have not seen the many capable builds that are tailored made to deny the zergs of their economy expansion.

oh, the zerg is supposed to be the econ race and use it to mass produce, BUT we made it so that other races can gather faster and prevent that from ever happening -- therefore, the zerg isn't always the first race to reach max supply 200/200. And when it gets to 200/200 vs 200/200, stronger units pretty much always wins.
This is the part of your post that really hit home for me.

I am so tired of hearing "spawn more overlords." Terran can have multiple SCVs create multiple supply depots while still training units at all available buildings. Protoss can have a single probe near-simultaneously warp in multiple pylons while still training units at all available buildings. But if Zerg spend 2-3 of the 5-6 available larvae on overlords, we're going to have a tough time countering the 5-6 marines or 3-4 zealots that our opponent just trained with 1-2 roaches.

Larvae management is a pain in the rear. We have to decide between economy (drones), military units, and preventing supply block (overlords) even when we have the resources. Factor in that we have to spawn larvae and spread creep at every available opportunity to even keep up with a player at a comparable skill level and you can understand why playing Zerg can feel like a juggling act. Sure, every race has macro mechanics to manage--MULEs for Terran, chrono boost for Protoss. The difference is that the Zerg game hinges on spawn larvae. If a Terran player forgets to drop MULEs for a while, it's not good, but it's not nearly as disastrous as forgetting spawn larvae.

Also, Protoss and Terran can both easily produce reinforcing units using hotkeys with no mouse input whatsoever. To my knowledge, there's no way for Zerg players to use hotkeys exclusively to spawn larvae. They have to select their queen (each requiring its own hotkey) twice, press V, and click on the hatchery/lair/hive (assuming the queen is near said building, which effectively tethers them to the base and limits their flexibility).

So what's a few seconds to click back to your queen and spawn larvae? Well, when most of your units are super-squishy, it could mean everything. The battle warning alerts in SC2 are horrible; I've watched replays where a player's entire mineral line was wiped out without an alert sounding. The minimap didn't even blink.

And when a Zerg player need to micro his or her units, it's frustratingly difficult to keep on top of macro. Okay, cool, I just took 3-4 seconds to spawn larvae at all 3 of my bases. Wait, where did half my mutalisks go? What do you mean they're dead?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It feels as though Blizzard invested the lion's share of their effort in Terran and Protoss and designed Zerg as an afterthought. Terrans have the reaper. Protoss have the warp prism. Both are really cool units. What do the Zerg have?

• Zerglings: Had those already.
  • Roaches: Good in early game in limited situations. Effectively useless in mid- to late game thanks to hydralisks.
  • Banelings: Good in early game in limited situations.
  • Hydralisks: Had those already. If memory serves, they use to be better, too.
  • Mutalisks: Yep. Had those. (Loved 'em in Brood War, too.)
  • Corruptors: Re-tooled devourers.
  • Brood Lords: An admittedly awesome cross between guardians and carriers.
  • Infestors: Incredibly fragile caster unit. Seriously, you sneeze on these things and they die. Can be used to great effect but too expensive to take the risk in most games (cost of infestor + cost of energy upgrade to be able to use fungal growth immediately + cost of research for neural parasite if you decide you want it). At least the defiler had dark swarm for a bit of cover. And plague was just plain evil.
  • Broodlings: If these count for number of Zerg units, then interceptors count for Protoss units. 'nuff said.
  • Infested Terrans: Because those infestors have to do something before they get squished. And if these count toward our unit totals, then both the raven's defense drone and point defense drone count toward the Terran total.
  • Ultralisks: Yep. Had 'em already. Didn't make them in BW unless I had resources to burn. Not much has changed.
  • Overseer: Sure, I could take these into battle to use the very handy contaminate spell, but only if I have spare overlords or overseers elsewhere. Otherwise, I'm at high risk for supply block. (The same reason why overlord drops are much, much riskier than medivac drops.)
I played aggressively when I played as Zerg in Brood War. I was fond of saying that Zerg were too cool to bother with defense. With the SC2 creep mechanic, Blizzard took what was originally designed as an offensive race and discouraged Zerg players from pushing the attack. The flaws of the creep mechanic alone could occupy its own post.

I want to like Zerg. I really do. And there are times when I succeed for a few moments. But the units seem so bland when you consider that Terran have units that can hop up cliffs and Protoss have a flying deployable pylon/dropship hybrid, for goodness sake.

"But Zerg have the nydus worm!" Right. And we have to spread creep into or near our opponent's base or get an overlord into position (past anti-air units, past stationary base defenses, past ground units that can fire at air units) and keep it alive long enough to generate creep. Then we have to build or already have one end of the worm in our base. Then we have to select it and press a key or click a button. Then we have to scroll back to where we want the business end of the nydus worm to pop out. (It's a worm that spits out giant bugs. There's no way this isn't going to sound gross.) And we have to do all this without the enemy spotting us and/or being unable to retaliate while we set all this up for it to actually be effective and not a waste of resources and attention. Is it awesome when it works? No doubt. Is it feasible in 90% of matches? No bleeding way.

And Zerg is without an IWIN button. Terran has bioball. Protoss has mass stalkers. Sure, we can build mass hydralisks, but we have to survive long enough to do that. (Remember: larvae management is a pain in the rear.) And if Terran tacks a few medivacs onto their bioball, even mass hydras are in trouble. Research blink for stalkers and it could turn the tide of battle.

</rant>

So if I ever make good on my threat and start playing on Protoss, don't hate. I've played Zerg almost exclusively since beta and Zerg was my main race in StarCraft and Brood War. I really want to like Zerg, but Blizzard is making it terribly difficult.

I'm really hoping I look back on this post, laugh fondly, and say, "Oh, silly Tek-from-the-past. If only you knew then what I know now" and carry on with a hearty "kekekekekek." This is one occasion when I want to be wrong.

So if I ever make good on my threat and start playing on Protoss, don't hate. I've played Zerg almost exclusively since beta and Zerg was my main race in StarCraft and Brood War. I really want to like Zerg, but Blizzard is making it terribly difficult.

Go Protoss, at least until it's nerfed or Zerg is buffed.

Oh my gosh Syrian, that was an awesome game. I love how asians yell "Ooooooooooooh!" XD its great. I do think the korean player was very all-in-ish, considering he never really got his expo established. The look on IdrA's face after the game XDDDD I bet I know what he was thinking. I was actually thinking about doing a nice nuke drop same map and from same position today, before watching that replay. AWESOMESAUCE!

From watching replays I have to agree Zerg looks flat out harder to play with all the micro and macro involved therefore weaker.

Great posts here. Absolutely Zerg are harder to play well.

Also, Protoss and Terran can both easily produce reinforcing units using hotkeys with no mouse input whatsoever. To my knowledge, there's no way for Zerg players to use hotkeys exclusively to spawn larvae. They have to select their queen (each requiring its own hotkey) twice, press V, and click on the hatchery/lair/hive (assuming the queen is near said building, which effectively tethers them to the base and limits their flexibility).

I found this on TeamLiquid which I am starting to use and it has helped immensely with larvae management.

1. Put all queens into a single hotkey.
2. When you want to spawn larvae, click the hotkey.
3. Hit "V" to spawn larvae.
4. Now hold down "shift" (i use the right shift which is still ackward)
5. While holding shift press "backspace" (this will take you to a base)
6. Left click (keep holding shift down)
7. Repeat 5-6 depending on the number of bases you have.

When I ironed out the key combo now I can spam larvae to 4-5 bases in 2 secs.

I digress back to topic though. Yes, Zerg are hard, but its so much more rewarding to win when you do. I noticed on the league games I can mostly always beat ZvZ, but struggle when it's ZvP or ZvT. That speaks volumes to the state of Zerg.

Last edited:
Also if u notice, Terran builds his barracks, where he can get up to 5 different types of units immediately just from that barracks. Zerg can only get 3 types out Lings, Banelings and Roaches. anything after that takes at least till the 5 min mark minimum because of the time it takes to make a lair, then the build time for the tech building. I think that really limits the opening possiblities which really makes it less fun.

Buuuuuuuuuut! I've always had a thing for playing as the underdog, which is why I switched XD. It was a subconcious decision. (Also I think i just understood why I picked my gamer name.... Wow i'm having a personal revelation here)

Also if u notice, Terran builds his barracks, where he can get up to 5 different types of units immediately just from that barracks. Zerg can only get 3 types out Lings, Banelings and Roaches. anything after that takes at least till the 5 min mark minimum because of the time it takes to make a lair, then the build time for the tech building. I think that really limits the opening possiblities which really makes it less fun.

I think you mean tier 1 units, but yeah, I agree.

I think the main problem, other than their difficult macro perhaps, is that zerg doesn't really have a tier 2 unit. They have tier 1 covered really well with lings, banelings, and roaches, but it seems like zerg skips t2 and goes straight to t3 with mutas, corrupters, infestors, hydras, etc. They're pretty weak t3 units (except for the corrupter) at that, imo.

Also, I think Syrian pointed it out already, but the terran and protoss units all complement each other really well, and they transition well into the next tier. The zerg unit-tech, imo, seem a bit awkward, and don't really complement each other (actually they do, but they're scenario-specific and not pseudo globally-useful like the terran and protoss units are).

Back