GFC Proverbs Challenge (November)

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Here we are once again for the Month of November! All are welcome to join.

Just read a chapter of proverbs every day. (Starting on the 1st) and follow along with us. Posting one verse that has meaning for you!

Proverbs 1:22 said:
22. "How long will you simple ones love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?

I think this question is rhetorical in a way. Its like asking how long it will rain or if the sun will rise tomorrow. People have to want to change, too many have grown complacent and don't want to be better. Its sad really. Being what God calls us to be is being better than the world. Its being different. Its taking the risk. Too many are afraid of that.

Proverbs 1: 3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
doing what is right and just and fair;

I need to do better this month. I can always come up with excuses why I didn't do something I should have, but I need to focus that energy, become disciplined, and read every morning like I want to

Proverbs 2: 7 He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,

I am reading through Proverbs because it is what I need to do, not because of the reward or the promise of the reward. But if make the effort to do what is right, He will help me be victorious in my pursuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proverbs 2:4 said:
4. and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,

I like to think of my monthly trip through Proverbs as searching for those nuggets of Wisdom. :) I just can't give up and have to keep seeking.

Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you. Proverbs 2:11 (NIV)

I can't remember the number of times I have read through Proverbs - and I still find those nuggets - again and again.

Proverbs 3:7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

My wisdom is faulty at best, but respecting the Lord and His wisdom will keep me safe. Following my own will not

Proverbs 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

Mercy and truth must go together in the pursuit of righteousness. It's not good enough to excel in one if you're also forsaking the other.

Proverbs 3:1-2 said:
1.My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,

2. for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity

Parents pass down excellent wisdom to their children. By learning from their parents and remembering what was taught, the kids will be able to avoid the pitfalls that plague so many of my generation.

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Proverbs 3:27 (NIV)

I love the way the Message puts it:

Never walk away from someone who deserves help; your hand is God's hand for that person. Proverbs 3:27 (MSG)

Proverbs 4:3-4 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.

God instructs us because He loves us and wants the best for us, not because He wants to put unnecessary hurdles and fences in our lives.

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23 (NLT)

A rich chapter today - this one got through to me.

Proverbs 4:25 said:
25. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.

When you keep your eyes on your goal its really hard to get distracted. I know many a guy who got himself in trouble by letting his gaze wander downward...

Keep our eyes on the prize!

Proverbs 5:3 For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:

Flattery can be a powerful intoxicant no matter who it comes from, and too easily misused by unscrupulous people to lead someone unsuspecting into dangerous places. Sometimes we may be tempted to use it ourselves out of good intentions while trying to encourage or avoid hurting the feelings of someone we care about. As with other intoxicants though, exposure can lead to addiction and we can contribute to a person's downfall if we give them the idea that flattery is an expression of true concern rather than being a cheap means of manipulation to be wary of. It's always best to try to follow the policy of telling the truth and nothing but the truth.

For a man's ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths. Proverbs 5:21 (NIV)

Proverbs 5:21 said:
21. For a man's ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all his paths.

Nothing we do is hidden from the Lord. Every good and evil act is known.

(hehe, Abba San, You picked the same verse as me!)

Last edited:
Proverbs 4: 6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.

God's wisdom will protect me from making foolish decisions that would cause me harm

Proverbs 5: 7 Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.

Our parents and others who are older have walked through a lot of the challenges we still face today. Listening to their instructions and applying it to my life can steer me away from some of the challenges they faced.

Proverbs 6: 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest- 11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.

This echos the sentiments of one of the favorite saying around my house, you don't work, you don't eat

Back