Cube World

im not sure on the cost as I have not been able to register an account.. :( been refreshing all day cause I have heard of some people getting through but I dont know if it was true or not..

So I rolled an elf mage and its pretty fun. For a $20 indie game you can't expect much, and you shouldn't. Its still a good game though. Solid graphics and smooth movements from NPCs and your own character.

Steam has significantly altered what I expect for $20, to the point where I find myself annoyed with my own stringent requirements for sales.

If Cube World is ever on Steam and on a crazy sale, I'm pretty sure I'll snatch it right up. If not, well, I did buy Minecraft when it was still in alpha, so I guess there's always a chance...

So, my review so far, Im not liking it, but it only alpha, so hopefully a lot of the issues get worked out..

Every time I start the game, as its loading, I immediately get attacked and die, before the game finishes loading..
Starting characters are way under-powered. I cant seem to kill anything with any toon I roll..
Agro is set way to high, and there is no getting away. I ran for minutes in one direction, and when I stopped, I died by the same mob that agro'd me in the beginning..
Need to be able to reverse the mouse, but cant yet..

These are just my observations, and only given with about an hour or so worth of playing. There is a lot of potential, and am glad that I purchased it now ($20 as the "alpha reduced price, I'd hate to see the release price..), and am hoping it gets better.. :)

So, my review so far, Im not liking it, but it only alpha, so hopefully a lot of the issues get worked out..

Every time I start the game, as its loading, I immediately get attacked and die, before the game finishes loading..
Starting characters are way under-powered. I cant seem to kill anything with any toon I roll..
Agro is set way to high, and there is no getting away. I ran for minutes in one direction, and when I stopped, I died by the same mob that agro'd me in the beginning..

These are just my observations, and only given with about an hour or so worth of playing. There is a lot of potential, and am glad that I purchased it now ($20 as the "alpha reduced price, I'd hate to see the release price..), and am hoping it gets better.. :)

Reroll a new world. I have made 4 and none of the four have had character creations locations in spawn. I have heard of this happening. Good beginner character is fire mage for the range and stuns. Kill stuff near your character creation zone, or move to the closest town and fight sparingly. Collect all the pumpkins and pineapples you can and sell them to vendors in town. I repeated this step several times to earn 5 silver and change. That's half the cost of your hanglider or boat. Pick up all the heartflowers you can. Buy empty water flasks and jump *into* one of the wells in town to fill them in the crafting window. Once you have several water flasks, start making health potions with your heartflowers in the crafting window. Don't let yourself be interrupted while drinking it (kite mob while drinking). Sleep on beds/cots in the Inn and on sleeping bags at campfires in wilderness to regain health. Collect as much cotton as you can to begin crafting armor. Light your lantern in the dark.

Watch some of the alpha videos on YouTube for clues or talk to townsfolk for oldschool RPG clues and tips.

As for Tek waiting for Steam or a sale, I wouldn't count on it. Developer seems bent on staying independent. Wollay seems like he is mimicking Notch's business model, and they are pretty tight on Twitter. Your best bet at a sale is now during the alpha. Beta price will be higher, and the final retail version will see another price hike.

I hear ya, Tek, on having Steam sales ruin us, but this is a unique alpha diamond in the rough that is fun in an old school RPG-meets-moderan-gameplay-elements kinda style (...plus multiplayer!) and has much more content on the way. Personally, I went for it, because I see a lot of value for the dollar here. I wished it would have been $15 or lower like Minecraft was during alpha, but I decided to go for it. I feel like they have something really special here. :) That's the end of my sales pitch! haha

Going to amend my recommendation....Water Mage also has a knockdown-stun + heals. My lvl 1 Water Mage just handled a group of 4 roaming undead and midway through the fight I aggro'd an orange group of hornets. I lived through it with the bonus heals and stuns, although it was certainly a close call. Used one potion and mousewheel-dodged throughout while kiting.

Last edited:

The loading and dying happens to me too, but only sometimes.

The mage is not underpowered, but you'll probably end up using a wand instead of the staff. (This game is like GW2 where different weapons give you different attacks.)

Aggro is a little interesting. And you can run away from mobs, and while doing so, you can turn the mouse around to see what's following you. When you turn your mouse around, just press the S key instead of the W key.

I think, for $20 this is a very solid game with tons of addons coming. It's as if Terraria and Minecraft were molded into a singular game where everything resembles Minecraft, but operates like Terraria.

$20 well spent.

Oh yeah, and water mage is where it's at.

Edit:
...Actually, for a $20 indie game I expect a lot.

But then, maybe I was spoiled by Terraria and SPAZ.

Steam has significantly altered what I expect for $20, to the point where I find myself annoyed with my own stringent requirements for sales.

If Cube World is ever on Steam and on a crazy sale, I'm pretty sure I'll snatch it right up. If not, well, I did buy Minecraft when it was still in alpha, so I guess there's always a chance...

Let me rephrase what I said - an Indie game in it's alpha stages should not have much expected of it. Indie games sold over steam are completed products, so yes you should expect more from them. But this game, in its alpha state is very good so far.

Last edited:
Brought up a server to play around on.. :)

Address: mc.toj.cc (same as Minecraft server..)

Let me know if you cant connect. :)

I tried to connect (at midnight eastern...) and it keeps sending me to a map I played with a friend a few days ago, even though I typed in the mc.toj.cc address.

Works for me! :)
Good deal!

I tried to connect (at midnight eastern...) and it keeps sending me to a map I played with a friend a few days ago, even though I typed in the mc.toj.cc address.
Hmm, Im not sure on that one? If you entered the address, it should have taken you here.. Can you browse to mc.toj.cc in a web browser? (You should see the IIS7 welcome screen, the redirect that I had there somehow stopped working..)

I do see the IIS7 thing pop up.

Edit: I'm beat. I'll look into it tomorrow... er, later on today.

Ok, I deleted the online maps and it still loaded into my friend's map when I typed in mc.toj.cc. Hmm... ideas?

Im not sure.. I haven't connected to any other servers though, so nothing to go off of.. Ill see if I can find one to connect to, and see if I get the same thing.. It could be a bug i the game itself..

Back