Anime Titles

Enok

After the guild missions on Thursday night a discussion of Anime broke out on TS. I think it evolved from dragon bash>dragon ball>Dragon Ball Z>anime titles.

I wish I'd taken notes. :D

I love Miyazaki movies, and have seen Akira, but that's the extent of my exposure to Anime. I've always been interested in checking out more, but have never known where to start in order to find good quality and avoid the sexual elements that can be common in some of it.

So, I was hoping to recreate that spontaneous discussion by asking here. What kind of titles would you recommend to someone new to anime and looking for things that aren't too sexual or graphically violent?

Let's see...I have seen so much I can't even remember half of what I've seen...

Recommendations (in order of best to okay):
  • Code Geass (50 episodes, some violence but nothing over the top)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (64 episodes, lots of violence but not very graphic)
  • Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) (only watch seasons 1 and 2, the 3rd does not follow the Manga and is stupid, some violence, nothing to graphic)
  • Death Note (36 episodes, lots of death but little violence)

Some of my faves do have rather graphic violence, but since you specifically asked for ones without, I will not include them here...

Edit: You mentioned sexual content as well. Actually Anime usually doesn't contain much if any unless it tends to be a reoccurring theme called "Fan Service". Many of these Anime are Comedy's and aren't very good.

Last edited:
my favs are:
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (there are several series and movies within the Gundam line but gundam wing is the best imo)
Last Exile
Moribito
Blue Sub No. 6 (this one might be graphic and have strong language, I don't remember, been awhile since I've seen it, the story and animation was very good)
Rouroni Kenshin (I'll second that one)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (don't know if it counts as anime but the cartoon series is spectacular)
I can think of several more but a lot of anime is kinda dark and twisty. Like the classic Vampire Hunter D for example, pretty good but very graphic and sub-par language.
Escaflowne is another one that might be suitable but I'm not sure on it, again been awhile since I've seen it.
My wife really likes one called "Emma" it's a victorian style anime that's clean. Kinda girly though. Netflix has a ton of anime but be careful, like I said earlier a lot of anime is kinda foul.

edit: another old school one I thought of and would love to see again is "Record of Lodoss War" I can't guarantee anything on this one but when I watched it a loooong time ago it was awesome.

Last edited:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (64 episodes, lots of violence but not very graphic)
I've seen some Brotherhood and all of the non-Brotherhood rendition before it. Excellent stuff. Still one of my favorites of all time.

Also love Trigun. Gotta love a hero who refuses to kill despite having greater capacity for killing than most everyone else around.

Then you have your shows that don't revolve around violence like Bunny Drop, a slice-of-life drama in which a businessman suddenly finds himself adopting a related young girl. It's grabs the emotions. Great show.

Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood
Deathnote
Trigun

and most importantly... SWORD ART ONLINE! Many nods to MMO players, and an incredible story. You also fall in love with the characters. It's great.

Remember that time you weren't feeling the love for SAO? :p

I bring this up not so much to rub in the "I TOLD YOU SO!" element as to say that the show gets you to keep watching without being able to figure out why at the beginning, but then it becomes this show that's rather excellent. It also holds good rank in my shounen-esque anime list. :D Related: .hack//Sign is another good anime in an MMO setting. I've even bought some of the light novels for that series because I like it so much.

Back