Assassin's Creed 3 will be able to be played offline

Thank goodness, it seems to me that companies are starting to realize how ineffective their DRM really is.

[toj.cc]phantom;462676 said:
Thank goodness, it seems to me that companies are starting to realize how ineffective their DRM really is.
That almost sounds too good to be true... but with Ubisoft making a decision that actually makes sense with AC3... well... I'd like to hope you're right. :)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ubisoft has done such severe damage to their reputation as a PC games publisher that it's going to take time, effort, and repeated shows of respect for potential customers to win back their former fans.

But I agree that removing an "always-on" requirement is a good first step.

Now I'd like to see some specifics about those activations they mentioned in related articles. I'd also like to see them axe Uplay from their PC games, but I doubt we'll see that happen.

Of course, IIRC, Ubisoft doesn't have a single PC game in the pipe I'm interested in buying, so I'm largely indifferent anyway (other than being strongly opposed to intrusive or disruptive DRM).

UBI Soft just pissed me off today. Last week they had a special where if you install their "uPlay" software you get assassins creed 1 for free as a digital download via the service. I figured it was a fair trade, install their crap steam software for a free 5 year old game. I got it downloaded and started playing for a day when .....

Today I got this email.

We're sorry!
It turns out we made a pricing mistake with the Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition. Unfortunately, this means we will have to revoke your game serial key within the next 48 hours. As a token of our apology, we would like to offer you a 25% off coupon good for your next purchase* on the UBIShop.

Your Coupon Code:

Thank you for your interest in Assassin’s Creed: Director’s Cut Edition and please accept our sincerest apologies.

What?? I can figure not fulfilling the orders in process but revoking the keys of those already playing?!? Its a digital download of a 5 year old game, there is zero cost?!?

This totally pisses me off.....now to uninstall this crap delivery software that I was bait-n-switched on.

/facepalm

Oh, Ubisoft. Please sell the Rayman franchise to a better publisher (i.e. almost any other publisher) and move into a different industry.

I think it still will require a one-time activation. Basically they are just saving money by not trying to implement something that would have been hacked anyway.

Almost re-posted my post with "better publisher" marked in bold, then I saw the /trollin'

:D

Activision better then Ubisoft? Oh Tek I always knew you where a funny guy, but man that was a great joke!

;)

Last edited:
Saw a trailer for AC3 and I'm loving the American Revolution spin on it. Bringing the whole mason thing in. Conspiracy theories FTW

Back