Best PC games for couples?

Thread revived. :)

I'm still hunting for good PC, Dreamcast, and Playstation games for couples. Ember and I are starting to burn out on the few games we usually play together (Puyo Puyo Box, Literati, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 X) and it'd be nice to find something we could play together online. Her computer is old; it has a video card from 1997 in there (with a nVIDIA Riva TNT chipset). The processor is a 1GHz. Obviously, high-end games are right out.

It'd be nice to find a free MMO, but those are few and far between.

Any other ideas?

free MMO, UO has lots of shards out there that are free.

but with a computer as old as her's you will be looking at games from that era (UO, HL/CS, etc)

You could always play classic/old games.

Mario Kart 64 is fun with 2 or more people, or even the old super nintendo Mario Kart, Mario Tenis, Mario Golf, Mario Party 64!!!.

Though, the couples games would be on NES/SNES/N64 consoles.

Playstation: Burnout 2 (though burnout 3 iwould be better).
Dreamcast: Dynamite Cop (though the last lvl of the game could seperate your relationship). Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is a good fighting game. Sega Rally 2 is a decent racing game, still fun. Rush: 2049 is a great and fun racing game to play.

Not sure about PC games, 90% of my games are FPS, so I have no variety.

Starcraft could be a good couples game. Diablo 2 could be too, one of you is a sorceress, the other is a barbarian. :D

I used to like playing Age of Empires with the hubby on occasion. Those strategy games may take a long time though. We have tried Scrabble a few times as well which is fun, but that is one you can do off the computer :p Might be better to play some board type games... Battleship, Stratego, Mancala, Cribbage....hmmm time to plan another family game night off the computers/tv/consoles.

Are you looking for something online or just coop together? A great game and now quite cheap is Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna from Microsoft. This expansion will give you the original game to play thru first, the expansion is also very large. I would say there is at least 60 hours of game play for this and you can coop as my family and I have several copies and have spent more hours then I care to count playing it. I have a 98 level combat mage which should give you some idea and that without ANY online gaming, just lan coop.

I don't have much US-based pricing but according to amazon.com, it goes for 19.99 a copy, you can't go wrong there. It was a great game and will set you up for Dungeon Siege II coming out.

[7F]Hawk said:
A great game and now quite cheap is Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna from Microsoft.
Hm, Dungeon Siege, you say? I can't say I was thrilled with it when I played the original demo, but perhaps I was turned off by the traits it shares with Diablo. Also, I'm not sure it would run well on my wife's computer (1GHz CPU, 256MB RAM, nVIDIA TNT AGP video card). Still, it'd be worth a shot.

Is there a DS demo available that includes LAN multiplayer? I'd like to give it a spin over the network before committing $40.

MaxX said:
For PC? There's a lot of co-op rpgs for PS2.

I have a suggestion you are gonna love if you have a PS2 - Katamari Damasi. Women LOVE this game, and you can play it 2-player. There is now a sequel game out, but the original is pretty cheap and it ROCKS. I think it is one of the best games for any platform, ever.

http://katamari.namco.com/

Paul

Last edited:
dorkelf said:
I have a suggestion you are gonna love if you have a PS2 - Katamari Damasi. Women LOVE this game, and you can play it 2-player. There is now a sequel game out, but the original is pretty cheap and it ROCKS. I think it is one of the best games for any platform, ever.

http://katamari.namco.com/

Paul
/sigh

Another reason I want a Playstation 2. Of course, Sony doesn't allow US PS2s to play imports, so I don't have as much incentive to pick one up. :(

What kinds of games does your wife like?

I tried to get my wife into gaming. I had her playing a few games a little, but in the end she decided that she felt like she was wasting her time.

So basically she sits near me and knits while I play World of Warcraft.

When we do play game together, they're usually low tech board or card games. Scrabble is her favorite. My current favorite is probably Settler of Catan.

Puzzle games...how about games with puzzles? I'd try a few old adventure games...some of the new ones are good too...you could play together and try and figure out the puzzles and such...tell me what kind of genre you'd like and I can give some recomendations...if you want...

(i.e. cartoon, mystery, cyberpunk, funny...etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
What kinds of games does your wife like?

Mostly puzzle, trivia, and board games.

There is a Christian Bible trivia game, though thats for the PS2...

http://www.cravegames.com/games/biblegame/

I do know some games, though, their mostly on the N-64;

Wetrix, Tetrisphere, Bomberman 64, Bust-a-move, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1-3.

Mario Party 1-3 does have all 3; puzzle, trivia and it is a board game (on a game console). :)

Tolkien said:
Danke. :)

[toj.cc]phantom said:
Puzzle games...how about games with puzzles? I'd try a few old adventure games
I loaded up Grim Fandango and my wife didn't seem too interested, as I recall. Then again, I could be misremembering (is that a word?); perhaps I should dig up a few adventure games and give them a go.

Last edited:
Tek7 said:
Mostly puzzle, trivia, and board games.

If you're interested at all in board or card games, I HIGHLY recommend browsing the Board Game Geek website:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com

Here is a list of my personal favorite 2-player-friendly board and card games that are called something other than "Magic: The Gathering". Most should be referenced on Board Game Geek. Forgive me if I mention any games that have already been mentioned on this thread:

1 - Grave Robbers from Outer Space - Are you amused by cheesy budget horror flicks? In this game you get to make your own B horror movie, while sending evil creatures to wreak havoc with your opponent's actors. If the horror genre puts you off too much to enjoy this, the spin-off game Kung Fu Samurai on Giant Robot Island is basically the same game in a different genre.

2 – Magi-nation – This fun and friendly anime-style CCG combines the cute-factor of Pokemon with the strategy and playability of Magic: The Gathering. It attracted quite a following of female fans and players. It is no longer in production, meaning no new cards, but you can easily and inexpensively buy all the cards you need to enjoy it on Ebay. You’ll want to buy a “starter box” and a “booster box” of the core set, which is called “Magi-Nation: Duel”. Though expansions are available, they will complicate the game and introduce timing/rules issues. Stick with the core set and you’ll have a blast. The company’s website has a great “learn to play” tutorial – www.magi-nation.com

3 – Netrunner - The Netrunner CCG may be the best 2-player game ever designed and manufactured. At least, Inquest magazine suggested it is the best CCG ever made. It is perfectly balanced, playable right out of the starter packs, and of a very high production and design quality. No wonder it is getting increasingly more expensive, despite the fact that it has been out of print since the late 1990’s. Only caveat here is the Cyberpunk genre, which doesn’t appeal to everyone. To get started with this game, you don’t even really need a booster box. Just grab a starter box and play right from the starter packs.

4 – Talisman - I know a guy who frequently plays this classic 80's game with his wife. It is great nostalgia, and quite a lot of fun. Only problem is rather lengthy playtime and a Monopoly-style snowball effect. Zillions of expansions were also released, some are now very expensive to acquire.

5 – Battle Chess – You don’t have to be a chess guru to enjoy this, but you have to have a chess set and know how to play or be willing to learn. You play a standard game of chess, but you also hold cards in your hand that let you do funky things with the pieces. Examples – you can make your pawn explode, capturing any piece sitting on any adjacent square. You can hide your King and make him re-appear on your next turn. You’re beginning to see why really good chess players hate this game,

6 – Board Game: Top Shop – This is not a board game despite the title, but it plays like one so I’ll list it here. It is a PS-1 game, which means of course that it also works on the PS-2. Yet another reason for you to buy one - Sony should be sending me a commission. But even if you come across a PS-1 in a Goodwill or Salvation Army store as I have more than once, this game by itself is a pretty good reason to fork over the $5-$10 to buy it, plus another $5-$10 to acquire this game on Ebay or at your local game retailer. It is endless fun, sort of like Monopoly but weird (in a cute, Japanese way) and without the snowball effect.

Paul

Last edited:
dorkelf said:
I agree: Katamari Damacy is the best game! Love it! Love it! Love it!

But note how he skips the part about my BROTHER being the biggest addict we know! My siblings are roommates, and they still haven't returned my copy...

Watch out, though, Tek: if she gets better than you, she can roll you right up in her Katamari! :p

And board games rock! Too bad they so often get overlooked in favor of computer games.

Back