Bible In A Year pledges

G

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." -- Psalm 119:105

As Christians, we are all aware of the importance of reading the Bible on a regular basis yet we often allow the circumstances of life to come between us and our personal study of the Word. Many Christians mean well, but lack structure in their personal study. Others establish a structure for their study times, but have no one to hold them accountable to the discipline of regular Bible readings.

For any of several reasons, many Christians are not reading the Bible on a regular basis. I plan to remedy this fault in my own life, and offer a plan to others to do the same. I propose that all members of the Christian Gamers Alliance and their member groups commit to a "Bible In A Year" program for the year 2003.

When searching the Internet for such plans, I found an excellent site simply called Bible In A Year. The site offers three different one year reading programs, and a free daily e-mail reminder service.

Here's a brief excerpt from the Bible In A Year site:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would you like a simple, convenient way to read the Bible through in a year? Our free service will provide you with the means to read through the entire Bible within a one year period (365 days) via email. This service is free of charge, and is designed to spiritually challenge and uplift you through God's Holy word (the Bible).

Again, I am calling on all members of the Christian Gamers Alliance and their member groups to commit to a one year Bible program. Whether you've read the entire Bible previously or not, whether you're an older Christian mature in the faith or a young person who just recently received salvation, I am challenging everyone to pledge themselves to this program.

I mentioned accountability earlier in my post. It is for this reason that I have established this forum and written this message, instead of merely suggesting the Bible In A Year site and programs in a General Forum post. I am asking all those who commit to this program to post a brief message in reply to this letter. As someone who believes in "practicing what you preach," I will be the first to commit to the plan.

Of course, if you do not commit to a One Year plan before January 1, you are still free to commit later and either try to catch up or carry the reading schedule into next year.

I have also established this forum so we all might have a place to gather and discuss our daily study. If you have free time during the day after your daily reading and wish to discuss it with other Christians, then please post any questions, comments, or insights you may have.

Thank you all for your time, and may God bless you richly!

Sounds awsome, I'm in
smile.gif

umm well this is a great idea. However I am finishing up the Bible yet again and I should be done shortly after Jan 1. I also subscribe to dailt devotionals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Dec. 27 2002,3:45)]umm well this is a great idea. However I am finishing up the Bible yet again and I should be done shortly after Jan 1. I also subscribe to dailt devotionals.
I just wanted to post an addendum to my letter, in light of Cheryl's post.

If you are already dedicated to a daily devotional of some sort, then please do not feel obligated to abandon it and switch over to this program. The purpose of this program is to ensure that members are reading the Bible on a regular basis with structure and accountability; if they are already doing so, then they need not feel pressured to commit to this particular program.

I did this for the millenium year. It's a good read and I recommend everyone take a stab at it!

For anyone who has often found themselves wondering "What part of the Bible should I read?"...  this would be great for you!  I highly suggest this (if not, another similiar devotional that you may find).  Please prayerfully consider doing this to grow spiritually and mentally adept in God's Word...

If you have a question about the importance of reading the bible... look up John 1:1-5    Everything has to do with the Word, even Christ himself!

Great challenge Tek.  Having grown up in the Middle East I thought others might be interested that Christians are referred to as "the people of the book."  Our "book" distinguishes us from all other religions and holds great power and truth that centuries have not diminished.

While I have done a read through like this before, it was a long time ago, and I am overdue as a "person of the book."

BP

While reading the Bible is of course of great importance, understanding of the Scriptures is the key. I've not done these "Bible in a Year" programs in the past, nor will I do this one. Sorry, but I think that if people get caught up in reading their daily verses and getting through the whole big Bible in a year, they're going to read and not understand. You could spend days on single verses, digging and learning! A better program, IMO, is Dr. McGee's. He was/is on the radio (though he died to cancer a while back) and his commentaries on the bible are also in book form, which I use. This way, I can read at my leisure, absorb everything I want to about a particular verse, and move on. Thru The Bible Anyways, my point is, that's great that you guys plan to read through the whole Bible, but make sure you're not only reading the words but also listening to the message.

EDIT ------> Forgot to mention, McGee's program takes you through the bible in 4 years i believe.

I would have to say that I don't really agree with Bible in a Year programs. I think that if someone wants structure then they should try a daily devo. The Bible in a Year program kinda forces a person to read everyday, not to miss a day, etc. They are merely just reading it because they are following the schedule not because they want to or they need to. I think that God would rather us spend meaningful time in the Word, even if its not every day, then to have us read through his Word, like we are reading a book for school. I also think that when you are done what have you done. Youve read the Bible in a year, but if thats not producing fruit, is there a point to doing it at all.

Well, I hate to like bust on your thread here but this is what I feel. If someone truly wants to read the Bible in a year from a theological perspective then be my guest. But in my honest opinion I dont see a person growing significantly from doing something like this. If you think you will, then give it a shot

timor and brainfreeze:  The problem is you're presupposing that people won't look into the meaning of the scriptures.  
How do you know this?  
It doesn't matter what you do as your devotions or how long you take, there will always be the possibility that you just breeze through without thinking.  I think that this is just what Tek wants to combat, you'll notice in his post he not only wants us to commit to reading, but also discuss the reading.  It really depends more on the person doing the devotions rather than what the devotions are. (thought obviously some things may be a waste of time)

I wouldn't mind getting involved in some kind of study, but being on a ship (with a connection that doesn't want to access this site for some reason) makes it impossible for me to come here while we're underway. I also don't much like the idea of "pledging commitment to accountability," as it were in these kind of things. The concept to me seems to be saying "I promise I'll be perfect, and if I can't for some reason, then you all get to make me feel horrible for it." Dunno. That's just the impression I get from what I see, maybe it's wrong. I'm already accountable to over 50,000 people in the military and civilian chain of command (technically including the president) not to mention God Himself. Not wanting to be accountable to anyone else is going to keep me a single man for a long, long time :).

Yes, BlacKnight, I AM presupposing that. Will there be those who take the time to pray, dig, and learn about what they've read each and every day of the new year? Well, sure! Blind squirrels sometimes find nuts, too. BTW, I mean that in no way as an insult, guys, I'm just saying that by the second month people may see their daily Bible reading as a chore, breeze through it, and let out a sigh of relief that their homework is done until the next night. I mean, that's a pretty grim assessment, I know, but seriously, reading the whole Bible in a yaer will require large chunks of the Sciprtures read each day. And no one can deny that much of the Bible is hard - if you disagree, please come back here in April or whenever you're on the prophets. Haha, and in December, please tell me the wealth of information you gathered in one day reading Revelation. I mean, serious Bible study can be infitinitely aided through commentaries or any other kind of outside help. But hey, reading the Bible is great, kudos if you're doing it, just remember - this isn't, as brainfreeze said, a novel. You're reading the Word of God. Read it, learn from it, live it.

:Agrees with Brainfreeze, SLAM, and Timor:

The Bible is not something you try to race through in a year.

Count me in.

I try to read the Bible every day. I usually read a book of the bible until it's finished and then choose a new book, and read a chapter minimum a night. It's a goal. Im not perfect, and it doesn't happen every day, but it needs to happen, and i need to be committed to it.

Jesus is the perfect revelation of the Word, and without knowledge of what God has revealed, we will never have wisdom (the practicle application of that knowledge)

One reason why i really want to commit, is that if there are a few of us reading the same things around the same time (if we are a day out, the weekly themes are usually the same)then it gives us something to discuss. Something we can hunt out and search, challenge and inspire each other with. Unity

When i approach the word of God, 'one Way' of doing things isn't enough. I need to spend time studying what's really going on, daily I read my bible devotionally (ie how do I apply this to myself), some times I wan't to learn about a character or a place and it's significance. etc

So this program for me isn't IT. The end of my search, to race through my relationship with God. What it is, is my committment to my crew (ToJ) that i'll read along at pace with you, so we can grow together.

Encouraging one another is what it's all about.

You guys are the bomb, and my heart is for you

sealcomm

I think this is a wonderful idea.  I just signed up.  There is something I'd like to bring to your attention however.  There were three options as to how you wanted to go through the program; alternating, day to day, or chronological.  If we are going to use this site for discussion, that might be difficult without each using the same set up.  Personally I chose chronological, but I am sure that is not what everyone else chose.  Perhaps we should discuss using the same format, so that we are all on the same page at the same time.  Just a suggestion, if we are to discuss the "reading for each day".  I also checked out the site suggested by timor.  Another great idea.  BTW timor, it takes 5 years to go through the bible with this one.  I am not nearly disciplined enough when it comes to reading the Bible.  Thanks for offering this Tek.  I'm sure it will help many of us stay on track.  God Bless you all!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]reading the whole Bible in a yaer will require large chunks of the Sciprtures read each day

um, not really. 3 chapters a day, with 5 on one day a week will get thru it. instead of doing 5 in one day, i do 4 two days, and 3 the rest of the week. 3 chapters is about ten minutes of reading, and if you have a study bible, you can gain lots without concordances, bible commentaries, etc, etc...I do however, have e-Sword (www.e-sword.net), and i have a couple commentaries. After doing my 3 chapters today (i pick friday and saturday for my 4 chapter days), i've finished Gen 26. i haven't (and don't plan to) signed up b/c trying to catch up with that plan while trying to just do 3 chaps a day will probably confuse my lil brain, lol. anyway. my two cents for what their worth...later!

Back