CCP reveals Project Legion, a second attempt at an MMO shooter

I'm completely totally going to play the daylights out of this. I love Dust 514, but I don't play it nearly as often as I'd like, because I prefer to be in front of my computer. I'm also digging the new ideas for playstyles (PvE stuff like Exploration and teaching the resource cycle before getting into the meat of planetary conquest and hardcore pvp modes out in low/nullsec).

Also EVE Valkyrie looks incredible and I want to play it soooooooooo baaaaaaaddddllllyyyyyyyyy.

I'm wondering as an EvE nerd, how I missed this..

I really wish they would fix spaceships with my sub money(although, I haven't paid RL cash for over 3 years and still have 3 active accounts)

Last edited:
By the Lords of Kobol, gimme dat hype. :eek:

PS Tek, how does it feel to be the only poster here without an EVE-related avatar? lol

PS Tek, how does it feel to be the only poster here without an EVE-related avatar? lol

AND HERE I AM! SAVING TEK FROM THE EVIL EVE GUYS!

No avatar since 2009.

AND HERE I AM! SAVING TEK FROM THE EVIL EVE GUYS!

No avatar since 2009.
Rescued. Booyah.

Back on topic: Why oh WHY did they ever develop a FPS based on a universe introduced in a PC MMO for the PS3? Does not compute.

Now that they're making a FPS for the PC, I find myself interested.

But if it's free-to-play (which it almost inevitably will be), I'll probably sit this one out. F2P and I aren't on good terms right now.

It's mostly for the R&D, to learn how console development works and determine if maybe that's a road they want to continue down in the future. I guarantee you they learned a ton from the experience, and even if it had been a serious flop it still would have been considered a success for the company. They've also been developing for the mobile world, and with EVE-Valkyrie, the VR world. Just judging from the way CCP as a whole is going, they want to diversify their universe. They can't make EVE casual friendly without destroying the game itself, so they have to expand into other systems and styles.

They can't make EVE casual friendly without destroying the game itself, so they have to expand into other systems and styles.

Very true, one cannot "play" eve for just an hour or two a week. I have a 60h/week job and im logged in at least 3 hours a night and 10 hours on a weekend day.

They've made it very, abundantly, clear what their end goal is, and to be honest they're probably the only company in existence right now with the capabilities of pulling this kind of vision off. They are really one of the few companies in it for the long haul with just their single universe, and everything they've done (including a few missteps here and there) has been to further that ultimate goal: One gigantic universe, the ultimate science fiction sandbox.
Even the now officially cancelled World of Darkness MMO gave them valuable tools in the furtherance of this goal with the development of the Carbon Character technology that is currently in use by the character avatars in EVE Online.
Incarna was a misstep, because they tried to do too much too fast. But it did give us actual avatars, and a place in station to walk around.
Dust 514 Was a huge leap for them, and primarily designed as a learning experience. It taught them about developing with third party software (Unreal 3), for a specific dedicated piece of hardware (PS3), and dealing with external systems outside their control (Microsoft refused to change how they do patches/server systems and as such it became a Sony exclusive by default. It also taught them how Sony does things. Both of which are valuable learning experiences).
Dust 514 also taught them how to build an FPS, and to what level they were capable of integrating into EVE Online given the above listed experiences.
Valkyrie is teaching them about emergent technologies and what state of the art VR is capable of. How they'll use it to integrate into EVE Online in the future is a fascinating prospect.

They've now got these three major separate pieces to their game(EVE Online, Dust 514, and Valkyrie). What do they need to do to combine them all into their ultimate goal of everyone being able to access any part of the universe? They have to tie it all together, and integrate these three massively different and mostly separate systems into one cohesive whole. Guess what's coming out soon? The easiest to accomplish next step: a single character avatar can access all three games.
Project Legion isn't going to be a PC Dust 514 port. It is going to be the next step into total integration with EVE. They want actual players fighting down the halls of starbases, they want actual characters exploring ancient ruins. They want pilots leaving their ships, and stepping into the depths of stations or dropping down onto a planet. They want to do things that just aren't feasible with the current iteration of Dust 514, or likely even Project Legion, but they couldn't create the next step without the knowledge gained from those before it.

tl:dr
CCP is stretching it's wings and finding out what is possible on current hardware and development styles and determining how they're going to be moving forward to achieve their goal of a single shared and fully integrated universe. The PS3 and VR systems are just stepping stones.

Its like your living in my head Elader, you have the fantastic ability to put my thoughts into very well thought out replys.

Very true, one cannot "play" eve for just an hour or two a week. I have a 60h/week job and im logged in at least 3 hours a night and 10 hours on a weekend day.
The reason I don't play EVE and won't for the foreseeable future. I would not hesitate to do that, but I just can't right now. ...really want to. lol

Honestly really like Dust last I played it. Way more engrossing than the vast majority of FPS I've played thanks to those hooks into the EVE universe. For what it's worth, the F2P never bothered me. I don't think I ever spent cash on the game, and I never felt the need. Only problem is peripherals. My keyboard and mouse aren't well-recognized by my PS3, so it doesn't play like I want it to.

Also, Elader, that tl;dr post is definitely worth the reading. Well said.

Gotta admit, after reading Elader's post, I find myself tempted to board the Project Legion hype train. :)

A unified sci-fi game universe across multiple games does sound ridiculously cool--the kind of stuff we dreamed about 15 years ago and is only now becoming feasible.

If you ever jump into EvE(dust, PL, Valk), look me up. I run a Christian Chat channel and everything (unfortunately its not too populated)

CCP's YouTube Channel, lots of nice videos and presentations from this past weekends "FanFest 2014"

Last edited:
Back