Creationism: Right or Wrong?

Jim

This is my first post (Sort of). Greetings.
Although I was born and raised a Christian, I became an Atheist after studying the Bible revealed a number of things which (I thought) didn't add up.
Here are some things I found which need to be looked at.

Adam and Eve:
The story logic behind the Adam and Eve theory of creation is, in my opinion, flawed.

Let us consider that the story is true. Mankind was created directly by God, and through His work, the Earth was created in seven days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

Science has already speculated that the Earth began as a ball of hot gas and toxic fumes and was a lavascape before global cooling caused water to condense and begin the formation of life. This can be considered, since beneath the top layers of soil, sedimentary layers of cooled lava rock and geodes can be found. But nowhere in Genesis was this kind of beginning mentioned.

Let us consider the implications of God's curse. Eve was tempted by the snake and, convinced he was truthful (God frequently reminds us that Satan is adept at lies) offers the fruit to Adam. If this were the case, and the disobedience of God's one rule due to naivete on the part of Eve resulted in such a severe rebuke, then why does God not punish with such severity those who commit murder? Those who steal? Those who break the Sabbath? This makes no sense, and I am inclined to believe that God figured what Man had gained (Knowledge of Good and Evil) was more worthy of punishment than the breaking of His Law.

But what if the story of Adam and Eve was not true? How does this affect things?

Many modern Christians claim they have faith, but that Adam and Eve was a 'poetic' story, not to be taken literally.

But if this is the case, shall we consider that without Original Sin (As commited by Adam and Eve) there is no basis for the 'curse' God has placed upon us?

Within the three main modern faiths (Jewish, Christian and Moslem), this story is the cornerstone on which the basis for their explantions of evil are based. Some claim God punishes us because we departed from God's Way in the commiting of the Original Sin. Without Original Sin, Man had not wronged God in such a way that warrants our curse. Without Adam and Eve, the evolutionist theory means that Man was created and evolved with free will, therefore God made us imperfect Himself. If this is true, why does God blame us when His own creations commit sins because that is the way He made us?

Next, consider Cain and Abel.

According to creationist theory, Cain and Abel were born of Adam and Eve. I'm pretty sure you all know how that story turned out. Upon learning of Abel's murder, Cain is condemned by God:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

So cursed, Cain pleads with God, saying:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

I ask: WHO would slay him? Assuming Creationism is true, who else would exist that would slay him? This still confuses me. Any concise arguments would help.

There is also the question where Cain finds his wife:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Where did this wife come from? Why did she not have a name? Could she have been one of Adam and Eve's many daughters?

I also find it hard to believe that Adam or Seth or any of his decendants could live for the nine-hundred and thirty years and the nine hundred and twelve years (respectively) the Bible professes. No mammal has this life span, and the current oldest man alive is a mere hundred and thirteen. It is rare for giant tortoises to reach that age, much less humans.

Noah's Ark & the Flood.

I am aware this one is perhaps quite controversial among pro/anti creationists, but let me highlight a few discrepancies I feel I need to point out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

This seems very exaggerated. It is a black-and white point of view, since Man is so diverse in his imaginings and dreams, that not EVERY man, woman and child could be of such unspeakable evil as to warrant their annihilation.

The notion of how so many animals from across the globe were rounded up, a pair of each species is debated: How did Noah bring them together? The answer, according to the Bible, was that God made them come to Noah.

From here, everything gets to sophisticated to argue fully, but needless to say, this might be an area worth arguing.

One final note: How did ancient civilisations appear in the americas and Australia (Mayan, Aztec, Native Indian, Aborigine) when all such life was undoubtedly quenched in the Flood?

More may come later. I hope this has provided food for thought and I welcome arguments against these theories. I would rather have an neutral but accurate outlook, than a passionate but flawed belief, whether an atheist view or religious view.

It is debated whether the story of Adam and Eve is to be taken literally or not. I personally don't take it literally.

Many of the stories in the Old Testament are fairly nebulous when it comes to qualifying them against logic and reason. This may be merely because the book is so old, so I wouldn't base your arguements so heavily upon them. However, you make some interesting points.

If one accepts that there are stories in the Bible that should not be taken literally, the question then becomes WHICH stories should be taken literally and which should not?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If one accepts that there are stories in the Bible that should not be taken literally, the question then becomes WHICH stories should be taken literally and which should not?

Sorry, but are you refuting my theories or defending them or neither? I can't really tell.

Get used to it
smile.gif

I am merely making a statement that covers broader ground.

Before we can start talking about your theories, groundwork has to be laid.

This question has to be answered or we'll never get anywhere. I'd like to know what the Christian answer to this question is.

Just a friendly suggestion, I would confine your discussion to a singular topic at a time. LOL, take a look at past threads, they get off track quickly
smile.gif

And to answer your question, I also share your theories.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To me it does not matter weither the stories in the bible actually occured. I feel that that they were put in there to teach us lessons. Aseops fables are false but have good moral lessons.

An interesting POV, but the Bible is considered the Word of God. Just a point, but do you find that it is acceptable to denigrate the Lord's Scripture to rhetoric? Perhaps the Bible is full of parables, but if so, it is difficult to find were one stops and another begins.

Perhaps I should have named this topic "Should the Bible be taken literally?"
biggrin.gif

Butbut, you said that you didn't care whether the stories in the bible 'actually occured.'  That's a quite a bit different than merely overlooking minor details.

How do you know these are moral stories if they were made up? That results to a trail of logic leading to the concept of god being made up as well...

I do think they occured. That is what I was trying to say when I said
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like to take them as true and then work from there
I guess I'm not making myself clear enough,
sad.gif
I think i'm going to erase my previous posts...

You're right, your standpoint isn't clear at all.

Saying that you LIKE TO TAKE THEM AS TRUE is not saying you think they actually occured.

Example, to really partake in the spirit if Christmas, I like to think Santa Clause is real. That doesn't make Santa real now does it?

Again, I pose the question to you: How do you know which stories actually took place and which ones are bedtime stories?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Aug. 29 2004,6:38)]Again, I pose the question to you:  How do you know which stories actually took place and which ones are bedtime stories?
I don't know. I just feel that unless they can be proven as false, I will accept them as true. And even if they are proved false this does not mean that no things can be taught be them. I'm getting everyone confused....even myself.... oh well just forget what I've said...except about the book, good book.

How does one go about proving that a story is false? There's no material but logic to base an arguement on, and even when we base arguements on rock hard fact you still do not budge. Seems to me this is just a "The Bible is right, no matter what" mentality.

beware of 'christians' and their stories. there's a hint for life.

The biblical account of creation is not written in poetic language. So it's not open for 'story' time.

check out the web sites answers in genesis etc. they have lots of great, informed, scientific information, from a biblical point of view.

later

sealcomm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How does one go about proving that a story is false? There's no material but logic to base an arguement on, and even when we base arguements on rock hard fact you still do not budge. Seems to me this is just a "The Bible is right, no matter what" mentality.

Bill, I thought you would have realised most of us take that stance by now. You stand by science, which has proven time and time again to be faulty and we stand by the Bible, which has yet to be disproven. I believe them to be true and I will hold that stance until I die. I will not budge.

Cory

Oh of course, I understand that.  Believe it or not I respect it too.  Luinnar keeps leaving logical loopholes is all.  But I think it's unfair of you to point out how science has been 'proven time and again to be faulty.'  Of course the Bible has not yet been disproven. Unlike religion, science is CAPABLE of being proven faulty.  A good way to be, methinks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Unlike religion, science is CAPABLE of being proven faulty. A good way to be, methinks.

When it comes to my spirituality and the salvation of my soul, I would rather be something that cannot and has not been proven faulty.

Cory

That, my friend, is where you and I differ. I can't place my faith on something that cannot be disproven. Not in a world like this one.

Back