CS Rates

Flashon

Perhaps someone can pin (sticky) this
smile.gif

Playing On-line CS, your actions and play-style can depend on variety of facts. There are commands you can use through the console that can alter the game play of CS. By that, i mean registration, lag, choke, loss, and many more.

I'll go over one by one rates that i know of, to help answer many questions that people ask.

rate "value"
This value determines the rate, which is interpreted as maximum your bandwidth (internet provider) can transfer from server. Maximum Half-life (CS) Engine can run is 20000, which many run with broadband such as DSL or Cable. If your choke and lag is really bad, or if your on a slower connection (ISDN, Dial up, etc.) you can lower this rate fraction by fraction until you find the right value for your system.
edit/add:

If you know your advertised speed in kbIps (like a 56k is actually 56kbIps), then all you have to do is divide your speed by 8 and multiply it by 1024.
Like this:

56 / 8 = 7 kbYtes/sec (1 byte = 8 bits)
7 * 1024 = 7168 bYtes/sec (1 kbyte = 1024 bytes)
Your rate would be:

rate 7168

*I found this from a helpful website and thought i'd add it in here for the dial-up users playing CS.

cl_cmdrate "value"
Also known as the loss factor, this determines how much data can be transfered from client towards the server (upload). It runs very simliar to updaterate, but since server has no control on capping it, many users set this to 100 or 101, which is fine. If your net_graph 3 shows loss, lower this value.

cl_updaterate "value"
Updaterate, similar to cmdrate, it determines data transfer between from server towards client. Many servers cap this value to 30, through sv_maxupdaterate, which what i, and many others consider mis-configured server. You can say well if it re-caps to 30, why don't i put this to 9042369823094852345? or put it to 30 all the time. hmm well this can result in messy rates, and could be a bad choke factor. Also, this has to do with ex_interp which i'll be going over soon. open up net_graph 3 on your console, and lower your updaterate from 100 by 10s, until your game play is good and there is absolutely no choke.

ex_interp "value"
Many servers lock this unfortunately, but they are beginning to unlock it after steam's update made it known that ex_interp value isn't a cheat anymore. Bug in 1.5 caused people to see through walls when it was set to 0 or lower. Now setting this value to 0, or 0.01, it automatically sets ex_interp value to 1/updaterate. This will let you see where the other player is standing. 0.1 value seems the smoothest, because about 1/3 of the animation that is shown through ex_interp 0.1, is true. that means 2/3 of your shots, can either go through the person, or miss entirely. ex_interp 0.01 fixes that, and it view all the players very very close to real-time, and when you aim, shoot, you will hit. However, there won't be those lucky hits anymore where your crosshair wasn't on the person but you somehow, got a headshot. (unless you can aim at the head easily
smile.gif
). setting this to 0.01 can also make players buggy, and choppy (not the choppy you see in the server
tounge.gif
). Also, if your running on a slow internet, such as dial up, set the value to 0.05, and it'll run smooth and register very nicely also.

Thats about it i guess, i'm not good at posting about these stuffs so i hope you'll excuse my "noobish" writing ^_^ any questions, post here.

atown and wildx's q answer: Yes, if you set ex_interp properly (0.01 or 0.05 depending on connection), with the cl_updaterate, your shots will actually hit (don't complain it doesn't, if you can't aim it still won't hit
tounge.gif
).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]By that, i mean registration, lag, choke, loss, and many more.

Are you jealous, that you have those, Flash?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, if you set ex_interp properly (0.01 or 0.05 depending on connection), with the cl_updaterate, your shots will actually hit (don't complain it doesn't, if you can't aim it still won't hit ).

Are you saying, the whole time, when I play at custom cs server, I never seem to die cause their missing/bullets not registering, to me?
rock.gif

first, eveyrone will get chokes once in a while, 99% of the time i rarely have joke, lag loss and such on a west coast server, with highest rates (High, i mean lan rates). On the second question, its likely they cannot aim, and they don't have the proper rates set.

Everything for me is on default, except the fps rate, the higher it is, the better it never flickers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The custom server is set at 8k max.  the toj main is set at 20k max.

So, on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 = worst, 5 = average, 10 = best), whats the scale for the 8k and 20k?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]On the second question, its likely they cannot aim, and they don't have the proper rates set.

Most of them got me down from 1 - 30 hp, half of them gave me 'blood drops' in the head, heh.

When shot in the head in CS, w/o being killed, your character will bleed out blood from the head, causing the head tilt, *goosh* sound, and the blood stain on the walls/floors. quote: 'blood drops'.

I know what you mean by blood drops, but thats not always true, try using the helmet and armour. It significantly decreases the headshot hitbox, and will take longer for the person to kill you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know what you mean by blood drops, but thats not always true, try using the helmet and armour. It significantly decreases the headshot hitbox, and will take longer for the person to kill you.

$1000 for helm and body armor, unless i have to buy them seperately in order to work...

Ok then, what about this: my opponents say the only reason they cant hit/kill me is cause I move choppy. It cant be me, I just got my video card, which btw, runs awesome, and its not their lag when they get 40 compare to me, 140 - 300 and up.

Corp,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] my opponents say the only reason they cant hit/kill me is cause I move choppy.
For me you don't run choppy at all. It might be that anyone who tells you this was either experiancing lag or have a problem with their own machines.

This has been pinned temporarily, until one of us can compile the info without the comments! Oh, and if there are any more suggestions/technical info, please feel free to add them here before the other pinned topic is compiled.

Thanks for the useful compilation, Flash.

any time elite
smile.gif
glad i can be of service.

I've seen you corp, but u don't run choppy either. lol its the rates that is messed up on their client, or their bandwidth.

oooo... what i always wanted. how to find a good ping since my STUPID CABLE gives me 109 constantly. >_< well, Flash to the rescue...

rate value alters your ping. If you live far away from the ToJ server, you can't alter it much, because i live west, and i ping 100 with a cable and nicely set up rates. However, despite high ping, you can definitely improve your game play by assigning right rate values depending on the server. Low rates aren't always good, you need to find the best one, not the lowest.

Would a choke lag be when I'm completely stuck?

The cs custom had a choke lag but didnt affect anyone since they were battling and I was stuck at spawn point!
mad.gif

Next round later, I'm stuck again, I can look around, but I cant move and my 'trigger' was stuck, err. *click click click click click click*

Took me a few rounds be to unstuck...

How do I fix that?

either its a HUGE choke, or lag, setting good rate and cl_updaterate will fix it. However, if the internet is being abused, you cannot stop that.

that would be for awhile, and if ou haven't noticed, it says "Warning:CONNECTION ERROR" in the upper right hand when that happens..." it also happens when i press the internet button on our cable button, which turns it off. that means as flash said eithe "HUMONGOUS" choke lag, (i don think so) or that ur internet sucks and it got cut off somehow.

o and thx 2 u flash, MY PING IS DOWN TO 80-90 :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMYYGOOSHH!
wow.gif
:O: <deleted..please do not take the Lord's name in vain via acronyms>GOSHO:SHFOOFSHF! thx flash. ;p;
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are commands you can use through the console that can alter the game play of CS. By that, i mean registration, lag, choke, loss, and many more.

I check it out with the net_graph 3, the word, choke I had 1-6 just when I dropped/picked up a weapon...
Should that matter?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]56 / 8 = 7 kbYtes/sec (1 byte = 8 bits)
7 * 1024 = 7168 bYtes/sec (1 kbyte = 1024 bytes)
Your rate would be:

rate 7168

I did my own culculations on my rate:

160 / 8 = 20 kbYtes/sec
20 X 1024 = 20480 bYtes/sec

Current rate: 20480 (20000)
Default rate: 2500

Does that make a difference? 160k is my internet speed, so its about 4 times better than the 56k you mention, Flash, even though I'm using high speed cable...
rock.gif

Current cl_cmdrate: 100
Default cl_cmdrate: 30

Current cl_updaterate: 100
Default cl_updaterate: 30

Does that make a difference?

When all the Current changes, my FPS (frames per second) is a stable 100, my lag is between 100-140(as usual), I dont see much difference, except for the choke going up and down for every dropped/picked up weapon.

To Silent: haha np bro

160Kb download speed? stick to rate 20000
smile.gif

cmdrate should be at 100 or 101 with your Internet provider Corp

put the updaterate to 100 or 101, lower it to 90, 80, 70... until you get 0 choke what so ever. If you pick up gun and receive choke, thats not a good situation to be gaming, lower the updaterate.

fps_max "value"
fps_modem "value"

These two are the only variable that affect the FPS besides the power of your graphic card and CPU/RAM. Rates have bearly any effect on FPS.

Your ping won't change much but it'll improve from having rate 2500. I set my updaterate and cmdrate to 101 and rate to 20000. Then opening up net_graph 3 i check the choke and loss then lower the updaterate. If the server gives out loss, i leave the server immediately, because that means Server has FPS and inbound connection problem.

Back