DC Universe Online

I play it on my PS3. Might start playing on PC, too. I love the game design a great deal. I still think it's the most fun MMO so far as gameplay is concerned. The way it handles free-to-play is pretty respectable, too. $10 DLC is actually worth the money. Limitations for non-subbers aren't bad, and are even less so if you make any one-time purchase and get an upgraded account because of it.

I took six characters to level cap on my PS3 account, and I'm working on my gear on my main toon. :D

I can clear some space and reinstall. I like the game a lot. I feel that I like it on its own merits, but the awesome use of the licensing doesn't hurt.

Edit: Got the game up and running and recovered my account, complete with low level hero and villain. Gonna reroll both. Will run as Kendrik TheRed (turns out there's a space between Kendrik and The, but not a space between The and Red as I thought there was... oops) on both toons again, though.

Last edited:
I just bought all five DLC packs (and thus got the account upgrade) thanks to SOE's triple payout offer they're running today. $10 gets 3000 SC. DLC is 999SC a pack, so I put in $20 (via Steam cash no less) to pick up all five packs and have points left over for when Home Turf comes out.

I love this game. It's great. With this deal on Station Cash going right now, it's a perfect time to get (or get back) into the game. At $10 a DLC, it's worth it. At $3.33 a pack, it's even better.

Would love to see more interest catch on here on CGA and in ToJ. Such an underloved game. In fact, this is the second time I've bought the DLC packs since I bought them as they came out on the PS3 build. That's how much I dig this game.

Current roster:
Kendrik TheRed - hero - fire/brawling
TheWard - hero - earth/shield
Kendrik TheRed - villain - soon to be remade

Just made a character named FloydTheBarber and I think I'm level 4 right now. If there's a friend's list in this game give me a shout Kendrik. I still don't really know anything about the game but it is a bummer that not many people play this here on CGA. That might be one of the reasons I won't give this game the time it deserves.

If you're playing on a Xbox-like gamepad, the default mapping for the social quick menu is d-pad left. If you're going it on a keyboard, hit F4. You can access your friends list from that menu. DCUO, it seems, was designed to be played on a controller. Being one who favors controllers whenever possible, this is fine by me. Unfortunately, they didn't do a great job of making the UI/menus as intuitive on keyboard.

Anyway, I added FloydTheBarber to my friends list! :D I think you'll have to add me on your end if you wanna see me online. I'm maining TheWard for the moment. I made him earlier. He's already level eight. haha

I used to write guides for this game. The two like... non-forum-post pieces I found are mostly suited for that point in time just after hitting the level cap and beginning to move onto PvP and alerts/raids. If the shameless self-promotion doesn't bother you, here're the tidbits I shared about gearing up and hitting harder.

If you, or anyone else, has questions, there's a good chance I have answers. I really like this game, and I've put way more time into research regarding it than any other game. I've even put more time into it than I've put into Street Fighter theory.

...now you've gone and gotten me all excited about the game again. I wanna write more guides, this time catering more to entry-level stuff. haha

Last edited:
I don't mind using a controller at all. Is that what you would recommend?
Absolutely. If you have 360- or Playstation-style controller on hand, it's totally the way to go. The game plays like an action game, and it feels, at least to me, infinitely more natural on a gamepad than keyboard and mouse.

Oops. Le ewok beat me to it. haha

Back