Emergency update...

i admire your religious zealousness guys but flat out it was in their ToS which was agreed to when you installed and even played the game. now we can lash out and do everything that has been mentioned here, and show them what a christian really looks like, not.

Or we can adopt a new name.

I know i posted it earlier but if i remember right your intials do not have to be the same thing as your name, if you guys want i can try to find something to go along with koninonia (o has a little line over it if you want to spell it right in the greek, inbetween the little line goes over that o ->onia) of the believers

Greek words meaning fellowship of the believers, and the intials could be ToJ. how are they going to complain about koninia greek (common greek back in Jesus day) which is basicly a dead language now

Its not necessarilly blizzard but also other players who feel it is their job to police out anything that they dont agree with...just because blizzard may not know greek doesnt mean that someone who knows the meaning of the word wont protest it just because they are angry that they arent allowed a name of their choosing. Why not stick with something simple like defenders of the king? or the carpenters followers or something like that? We can find a way to be creative in our name so that we are still within the tos yet still able to express who we are. In DAOC we had to be creative with the name also as they also objected to he use of God, Jesus, etc in the names. We went with knights of the trinity. Although with the overreactive way blizzard is being i suspect trinity would be banned also. But the neat thing by going with something simple and catchy over just a bunch of initials for a guild name was it arose curiousity in people we grouped with about our guild, thus leading to opportunities to share our faith without them automatically being turned off by our name.
I can understand everyone being upset by blizzards response. I'm angry they disband a group like ours because of the word "God" even though we are not on a roleplaying server but yet there are tons of other rediculious names running around that will never be touched..not to mention the offending discussions in general chat we have to listen to to use that channel. But as hard as it is not to be angry and spiteful we have to remember we are in their world not really ours as christians and our response is what seperates us as christians from unbeleivers.

I'm not gonna tell em what my name means smiles. Most of you know but not gonna let them kill it cause of their craziness. How about something like faithfollowers. It is not specific enough to be considered a specific religion or to be connected with a "major" religion. Or we can do what I did with my name and start looking up words that we want in other languages etc to create the guild name we prefer. I think its a bit funny that "godspeons" came from a book. Oh well guess I've calmed a little.
Blessings,"Angel"

"God's Peons" is something I'm holding dear to...

I really like the name, and really enjoy what it means. I think it identifies us perfectly, without being overly pushy.

The name means so much to me and I'm not preparing to change it.

actaully can someone explain the peon part to me. I have a general idea of what everyone means by it in the guild but in the past i have always known that word to be a derogatory word. Compared to God i guess we are just "peons" but I know thats not how he looks at us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jasmina @ Dec. 13 2004,1:45)]actaully can someone explain the peon part to me. I have a general idea of what everyone means by it in the guild but in the past i have always known that word to be a derogatory word. Compared to God i guess we are just "peons" but I know thats not how he looks at us.
Umm, this one's kind of tough...

The peon in the Warcraft games has always been a signature to the humor of the series.

Ultimately, I think you'd probably have to play the games to fully get the gist of it.

Double post for the win.

Also, I think that the word "peons" reflects who we are as servants, followers, and 'sheep'.

When I was looking for a new name I wanted something that could identify us as Christians, be slightly humurous, and of course relate to the Warcraft games.  God's Peons does this all perfectly.

It also keeps be humble, and reminds me that I am always a Christian.  Sometimes I don't feel or act like it, but I did not want to have a name that would cause pride on our behalf.  I believe that pride is a very bad thing, and instead of being proud we all should be joyful, which is an entirely different state of mind.

I am the original bearer of the name.  And as such, I probably have an unique insight to the term, peon.

Peon, is no more or less deragatory then slave, servant, pheasant or serf.  The only difference between the title is the cultural origins.  All these term refer to the lowest rank, the menial, day labourer.

But very uniquely, a peon in India is also referenced to foot soldiers.  So, while I view myself as in servitude to God, I am also his foot soldier.

--edit--add--

I will also note, that I don't use the term peon to denote the lowest rank, rather, I define it in the much broader context of being in service off. I am in service of God, thus, I am his servant, his peon. We all have to choose a master, be a slave (as Paul wrote) to sin or a slave to righteousness. I think I make myself clear as to which master I choose to be in service to when I use my handle: Gods_Peon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bowser @ Dec. 13 2004,2:30)]I believe that pride is a very bad thing, and instead of being proud we all should be joyful, which is an entirely different state of mind.
An interesting idea I just got from reading this is.

A guild name: "Choose Joy"

It doesnt sound at all religious to an unbeliever nor can it be mistaken for it but we know it as christians to be an important part of our daily lives to choose joy so the world sees us as God's light in the world.

I can't help but think that gaming media would pounce on this story.

I'm also thinking that singling out major religions is, at least technically, discrimination. Unfortunately, since Blizzard is a private organization, the concept of free speech does not apply here.

Still, disbanding the guild without warning is, at the least, rude. Considering our guild has not presented GMs with any bad behavior, I am stunned that Blizzard would skip over its own promised measures and move without warning. A simple e-mail asking us to change the name would have gone over much more smoothly.

I would think that Blizzard will not refund the in-game costs associated with forming a guild. This will, of course, mean people playing more hours to again gather the money necessary.

This is all a frustrating mess that could have been avoided with a polite e-mail and a 24-hour warning. Instead, Blizzard chose to slap their paying customers in the face by undoing their hard work for, yes, a violation of the Terms of Service, but one performed without malice or ill intention.

I will be on hand to help select a new name for the guild, as I have some experience in the matter. Still, I would recommend someone send a brief e-mail to at least a game news site, if not a major media organization, to let the public know what is happening. It is not my desire to retaliate against Blizzard--it is my desire to hold them accountable for their actions. They are a company providing a service and should act accordingly.

Really I don't think having this story sent to these sites is going to do much.  Blizzard is huge they don't worry about offending people because they have such a huge fanbase.  Also Blizzard staff won't change the policy.  If your looking for sympathy I've learned that you won't get much from the mainstream gaming community in regard to christian ideas.  Hands down its a sad story that we can do nothing about.  We can either move on and enjoy the game or be bitter and fill up this thread.

"carpenter's peons"? "choose joy" can't be any more religous sounding to those who aren't thinking about it than the "lords of boogie" who were --as a guild activity-- dancing in the cathedral last night. "Lions of Judah" would be riding the line i think since the GMs will look twice as hard at anything we come up with due to this whole thing... and yet it fits the community, it fits the purpose of not backing down from a topical name aaand those lion tabards were a real hit with the ladies ( /jk ).

kinda makes me wonder if anything happened to that "Good Samaratins" guild my paladin was in on Malygos server...
rock.gif

Our guild name does not follow the ToS they set forth, and so we do not have a right to complain about it.

What we can complain about is why it discrimates against certain, but not all religions, why we were given no advance warning, and if we could recieve a refund for the gold. Anything beyond that and we are overstepping our bounds.

Here is our offense:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Major Religions or Major Religious Figures
This category includes both clear and masked names which:
Is based on or alludes to major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character, guild, or pet, he/she may:
Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email
Be given a warning

I ask that many of you guys step back and realize this is in there for a reason. I know that you guys want to show your faith, but Blizzard's naming policy covers every base to eliminate most real world references. They are NOT just discriminating on us because we are Christians. To say that we should get any exception is selfish. I ask that you read through the entire naming policy.

Suggestions for guild names:
Joyful
Commissioned
The Ambassadors
Truthbringers
Lightbringers
The Chosen
The Red Letters

I'm stumped for more names. Blar. I'll post more later if I think of them.

I think we all know this, and to some lessor or greator extend accept this. The big and important question, is what is our new creative name going to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (roomamooch @ Dec. 13 2004,5:16)]Really I don't think having this story sent to these sites is going to do much.
Hm. Sad but true. Most gaming organizations aren't brave enough to carry the story. Still, it can't hurt to send them the news. True, they likely won't post it, but then again, they might.

Just got home and wow, there is two pages of new posts that's a good thing, though why they are here is a bad thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Major Religions or Major Religious Figures
This category includes both clear and masked names which:
Is based on or alludes to major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)

If a player is found to have such a name for their character, guild, or pet, he/she may:
Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email
Be given a warning

I'm kind of confused though, as "God's Peon's" sounds very genaric and does not allude to any major religion or religious figure, unless someone knew us personally would they have any idea what relegion we represented?
I acctually read this rule before hand and never thought they would pick us out for having an inappropriate name. I just don't know what to say this is just terrible especially having it happen without any warning, to at least take note of the 40ish charactrers currently members of "God's Peon's" to carry them over to the next toj guild.

Looking over the current suggestions I would say "Lion Of Judah" breaks the current rules worse then God's Peon as it refers directly to a major religious figure. Perhaps we could contact Blizzard I know they have an email for situations just like this and plead our case but more then likely it is futile with the number of guilds and players they don't have the time.

Back