EVO 2013

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
So who else plans on watching (what's left of) EVO 2013?

I've watched the Street Fighter grand finals for the last few years and it's always exciting to watch.

I'll be on IRC (#cga on irc.gamesurge.net) sporadically throughout the day on my trivia bot (sph1nx), so stop by and say hi!

For more information about EVO, check out Shoryuken's How to Watch Evo 2013: A Viewer’s Guide.

Looks like I already missed P4. :( I may hop on to check out Injustice and KOF, but P4 is my jam of the lot. Airdashlife(tm).

Okay, my takeaway from the madness:

1. Hurry up and take my money for Ultra, Capcom!
2. Justin Wong is scary when focused. He took out teams that Wolverine/Storm/Akuma usually fall to. All the Marvel 2 wins he took down were nothing compared to his play in UMVC3 this year. Why? He was always the favorite to win Marvel 2. This one, he was the underdog, and he showed some massive skill and heart to not only make it to grand finals, but actually reset the bracket and take it to the absolute final game possible against Flocker.
3. Tokido can really go in when he's serious. So many times, he's just been very nonchalant about Top 8s, and went out early. This year, he was just on. Best play I've seen from him in a long time. (Also, a really nice guy.)
4. Infiltration running Hakan. Man, they could've stopped Evo after that match and people would say they got their money's worth. Being able to beat PR Rog at his peak with Hakan as a counterpick that wasn't even a joke pick. Already knew Infiltration has the best pocket Hakan in the world, but now...scary.
5. Xian is just on another level. No way people are sleeping on him after the year he's had. There's no way people didn't know to be training the Gen matchup for Evo. He is just that good.
6. Sounds crazy, but I think Infiltration's best hope of getting into GF was running his Gouken against Tokido. It's not a favorable matchup for Gouken, but Gouken can shut down a lot of Tokido's typical entrances.

Honestly, there are too many Evo moments for this year. Really hoping I actually make it out to next year's.

The KoF grandfinals were insane. Homeboy went 2-0, got overconfident. Then his opponent went 6-0, no joke! Not only did he reset the bracket, he downloaded his opponent, made him salty. So salty in fact that he THREW HIS ARCADE STICK after losing the final match. Would really recommend checking it out!

ChrisG's Black Adam was pretty great during a Superman match up. Both players had 1~2% life left and Superman does a sweeping laser, ChrisG guessed he was going to do that and dive kicked him. So exciting. I didn't care too much for the Grandfinals for Injustice. Some really solid Green Arrow/Black Adam by Chris G, but otherwise it was a lot of Superman / Green Lantern zoning.

Tekken had a really good grandfinal with I wanna say a Korean player. Some sick juggles and wall crushes.

Didn't watch the others, except for that Yume P4G match. He totally destroyed that Lord Knight? guy.

Yeah, Knee is Korean. If he's at a tournament, he's an instant favorite to win. Korea is home to the absolute best Tekken players in the world.

I'm actually going to grab the KOF, TTT, P4A, and maybe the Injustice and MK finals and put them on my phone to watch on my upcoming flight and my commutes. I don't really follow Injustice or MK at all, but I wouldn't mind seeing them. But KOF is always good, I love Tekken, and Person can be interesting depending on who's playing.

Just watched a bit of Smash Top 8 and some sick stuff in there. Honestly, the FGC really disdains Smash trying to include itself in the FGC, but I enjoy watching Smash, but don't have the dexterity to play Melee at all at the level they play at. But I wouldn't be opposed to them getting a slot at Evo again.

After Kusoru vs. SteveH in Guilty Gear at Final Round XV, I've yet to see any big matches that could match the hypefactor(tm). SteveH vs. Kusoru is a must-watch if anyone hasn't seen it. Seriously. So hype, and if it doesn't make you want to play Guilty Gear... I can't even figure out how to complete this sentence since I can't wrap my mind around that possibility. :p

I'll have to check out the KOF grandfinals. Among modern 2D, non-airdashers, it's easily my favorite game. So technical. So impressive. So good.

I'll probably have to check out all of the grandfinals with you all hyping them up. :p

I had to be up early for work the EVO schedule was running 30 minutes behind last night, so I didn't stay up to watch the AE grand finals. :(

I'm searching for some AE finals (top 8) brackets now. I turned the TV off shortly after Daigo took 7th (which made me a sad panda), so I missed most of the action.

There's nothing like watching the games live, but I still plan on grabbing a snack and watching the replays of the top 8 matches I missed tonight.

Okay, here are the results of the top 8:
1. DM.MCZ|Xian (Gen)
2. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
3. Infiltration (Akuma, Hakan)
4. EG|PR Balrog (Balrog, Fei Long)
5. TEAM HORI|sako (Evil Ryu, Ibuki)
5. Haitani (Makoto, Rufus)
7. MCZ|Daigo Umehara (Ryu)
7. AVM|GamerBee (Adon)
Source: Evo 2013 Final Results – The Largest Fighting Game Tournament in the World

Fuudo took 25th and Popi (who defeated Infiltration to win Dreamhack earlier this year) didn't even place in the top 32. :(

I'm waiting for GGXrd to try Guilty Gear. Looks good though. I've always appreciated the game but it's doesn't have a low entry barrier for sure.
Nooooooohahaha. No it does not. I feel like I've played more difficult games, but I can't remember which. That said, the game isn't that bad for getting into on the basic levels so long as you can break down the fundamental systems. High end play is insanely technical. I'm still low-tier for sure in the game despite it being my favorite fighting game. I hope Xrd retains the strong technicality of the series without unduly simplifying its systems (which many accuse Blazblue of doing) but does draw from Blazblue/Persona's exceptional training modes to help ease new players into the game.

Personally, I love Blazblue and Persona too. I can't recall an Arc game that I don't admire (even Battle Fantasia is solid). I'm kind of a fan, even if their decision to region lock P4A on PS3 was a headscratcher. Their battle mechanics are always fun to play and exciting to watch. :D

Oooh. Didn't see your posts, Tek. I think you managed to ninja me due to how long I had the page open before I finished/posted. If you find good top eight vids, please link. I can be lazy that way! :D

The entire top 8 is on Youtube.

[video=youtube;zgia_GIRZQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zgia_GIRZQ8[/video]

@Kendrick, actually I played GG:AC once in 2009, and got destroyed while just trying to learn the system. I put it off to the side.

I did play BlazBlue and got comfortable with the system, but it didn't have the gimmicks and playstyle as Guilty Gear, and I could tell that just by seeing the Evo 2009 Top 8 for GG. But for me, it was far too late to pick up GG, people were way too far ahead of me, and GG didn't have online for me to learn, and I was living in an area without a scene.

But yeah, Xrd? I'm getting it and learning it.

EDIT: Just wait until you get to Infiltration vs. PR Rog, Tek.

Last edited:
Sweet. Thanks for the link. Watching the Evo stream now. Infiltration and Daigo in losers is a crazy way to start off. D:

And yeah. I hope Xrd kills the market with utter awesomeness and brings Guilty the mainstream appeal it deserves. :D

Update: Watching the stream, and I think Akuma is my favorite of the shotos. I like his options best. /still only play Ken

DON-CHAAAAAAN!!! I heart Ibuki. Always. Makes me happy to see her in top eight at Evo.

Rrrrrghhhh. PR Rog v. Infiltration. Dat insanity.

Last edited:
Back