FFXIV Open Beta Aug 31st...

I won't be making it to the beta until/unless I buy and install a new hard drive (only 160GB total on this drive), but I hope everyone who tries the game has fun.

And yes, as Xion pointed out, Tribe of Judah already has the foundations laid for a Christian FFXIV guild. :D

I have always wondered about FF games. Are they comparable to other MMO's (ala LOTRO, WoW, etc.)? Or are they more like Guild Wars, Aion? Or something entirely different?

Maybe an Open Beta is a good way to find out?

How do I get signed up for Open Beta?

Thanks!

They will probably post something about how to sign up this weekend and I will link it here...

It is something completely different...feels a lot like playing a regular FF game...just multiplayer...rather impressive... :D For more details, read some of the threads on our FFXIV forums...

EDIT: In case I forget to link more info here...bookmark this thread and check it daily, I will be sure to update it as I receive new information...

Last edited:
Looks like turn-based combat, bummer.

Assumptions FTL!

It is not turn based...the combat flow is very similar to that of any of the popular MMORPGs but more fun...however, everything is based on a Active Time Battle (just like most other FF games) instead of cooldowns...which gives it a true FF feel unlike that of FFXI...

That's a late Q&A. o_O

I'll see if I can be there.

The open beta needs to include the PS3 version (which I didn't get into the closed beta of :( ).

The open beta needs to include the PS3 version (which I didn't get into the closed beta of :( ).

The PS3 beta hasn't started yet...the PS3 could not handle the game, so they have delayed the PS3 version until March 2011...

About the late Q&A, I don't get off work until 11:30pm EST :(

The PS3 beta hasn't started yet...the PS3 could not handle the game, so they have delayed the PS3 version until March 2011...

About the late Q&A, I don't get off work until 11:30pm EST :(
That explains both things.

Sad day on the PS3 delay. :( My computer is too sucktastic to handle anything beyond... uh... Guild Wars, basically.

The Q&A is now over...went a bit longer than expected but that is okay...I hope I was able to answer the questions that were asked well, and hope much was learned... :)

If you look on the ESRB website, it appears that they actually tested the ps3 version :p

If you look on the ESRB website, it appears that they actually tested the ps3 version :p

Well, of course SE themselves have tested the game...but the PS3 version is not even in Alpha yet...as stated multiple times by the SE devs, the PS3 could not handle the game...

As of this morning the Open Beta has been delayed :( ...they are not sure when they are going to have it now...I would assume it won't be much longer than a few more days... However, sometime today or tomorrow they are opening up Open Beta registration here http://entry.ffxiv.com/ ...so keep watching that site to get your Open Beta code...

Is it known what the client file size will be?

If it's small enough, I might clear a few gigs of space just to check the game out. I know Square Enix is calling it an "open beta," but the e-mail I received made it sound more like a stress test.

Is it known what the client file size will be?

If it's small enough, I might clear a few gigs of space just to check the game out. I know Square Enix is calling it an "open beta," but the e-mail I received made it sound more like a stress test.

I thought open beta's were stress tests :p ...but anyways... My client with the open beta update is 8.56 GBs...

I thought open beta's were stress tests :p ...but anyways... My client with the open beta update is 8.56 GBs...
Oof. Looks like I'll have to wait then. I had to nuke DDO and LotRO to fit StarCraft II on and have 15% clear space for defrags.

The Open Beta now starts tonight (Sep. 1st) at 7pm PDT | 10pm EDT...

EDIT: With the Beta starting roughly 1.5 hours before I get off work...it might be until midnight EST before a server is chosen...however, if I can get Jon and some others to keep me updated via text messages, I might be able to update my twitter with the needed info and/or relay the info to Jon... So keep watching the 'Getting Started: Open Beta' thread and my twitter for information about our server and other stuff... :p (As soon as I get the chance, I will also post the information in this thread as well)

Last edited:
For those who hate the updater.... It uses torrents, so:

- Run the updater at least once so it grabs z torrents
- Look in C:\Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta
- Import the torrents in */metadata to uTorrent (or program of choice)
- Set download location to the ffxiv-beta location above (torrent fills in rest of path to */patch/)
- Assuming it goes well for me you should just have to run the updater after uTorrent finishes.

EDIT: Currently getting ~1.8MB/sec

Last edited:
Back