Firefox 3?

Baron Squirrel

so... just installed FF3... not sure i see that much difference besides some eye-candy, and the address bar drop-down's different.

what do the rest of y'all think?

(p.s. i'm surprised no one else has posted on this)

I'm happy about it.

My favorite thing though is what's happening when I look at my process list and used memory. Usually by this time of the day, my browser is eating a huge portion of my ram, but not anymore!

I was planning on installing it when i get settled. I currently use Opera for its nifty torrent build-ins. And the new Opera Alpha aced acidtest 3 apparently. Still if FF3 is fast it will have my #1 spot for a while.

Firefox 3 did reduce the ram usage a little on my computer...

yet i do have a major complaint... *which really is a little minor...*

Firefox 3 does not have the "Morning Coffee Cup" function. If you didn't know what this is, pretty much, when you press this button, it brings up all the websites that it is programmed to.
Thus, I would have my e-mail, CGA, Facebook, slickdeals.net, purevolume, purepwange, etc. come up when i hit this button. Though it only really saves me about 3 minutes a day, i still miss it very much.

It was very useful

what I have is a folder on my bookmark toolbar, which I've labeled startup. In it I have the 4 or 5 sites I always visit. I right-click on the folder, and choose the "open in tabs" option.

viola.

I just tried it and its sweet. Love the speed.

There are a ton of plugins that need to be updated which is kinda annoying. But am aure there will be a "coffee cup" for 3.x soon enough.

It seems very I.E.-esq to me. I am also not really keen on the history list it keeps for the address bar. Way too big. I think I like the other version better. I also am not seeing the speed increase that everyone else is talking about. Maybe I am doing something different or the sites I visit regularly load quickly.

or, I could have just had higher expectations for it.....

Would the speed make any difference with a 600Mhz, 192MB PC?

If it was my PC, I would get it.

ANd pains me so bad with slowdowns and stalls from using Firefox 2. :mad:

thanks Kidan. I didn't know about that function.

I will be using that now. very helpful. saves me a lot of time. haha.

I've noticed the speed increase, especially dealing with multiple tabs open that are running scripts or have video/sound loading. 2.5 used to lag me out badly for that.

I have to agree that it looks more like IE, which is sad, in some ways. It's nice that people coming from IE don't get a big shock, but on the other hand, it's a different browser. It shouldn't be an IE clone - if I wanted to run IE, I'd just run IE.

I absolutely detest the new address bar. I used to have about 15 sites that I would visit on a regular basis (but not always daily) stored there, and would delete 1-time visits just to keep my regular sites on the list (and keep the list from growing too big). Basically, I used it *as* my bookmarks list. Sadly, when I upgraded from 2.5 to 3.0, it LOST the entire list and instead, it put 12 random bookmarks in my address history.... sites that I hadn't visited for months!

Fortunately, I was able to recover most of them by browsing my history and starting my new run of bookmarks. I'll have to put them into a single folder, like Kidan suggested. That's a cool idea.

Last edited:
It seems like Firefox 2 with a bit more polish and features that developers think people want but most people don't care about in everyday use.

I haven't been checking Task Manager during heavy browsing (when I have 4 instances open with 5+ tabs each), but I haven't noticed any performance deterioration.

I do like the option to save my current tabs when exiting, though. I imagine that could come in handy when I'm doing research or checking the forums and need to shut down quickly.

Probably the biggest advantage in FF3 is the improved memory management. They had to write a rather complex system to work out references that were causing some issues (two+ way references causing objects to not be discarded, usually a problem with badly written plugins).

The new navigation bar is really nice once you get used to it. It ranks everything based on what you visit most and returns the results based on that as well as other things like page title, metadata, etc. Occasionally it kicks in and annoys me when modifying the URL but I have worked out my habits to reduce that.

Would the speed make any difference with a 600Mhz, 192MB PC?

If it was my PC, I would get it.

ANd pains me so bad with slowdowns and stalls from using Firefox 2. :mad:

slightly. FF2 will lag most systems out..i would upgrade to ff3 and try it out.

Back