Free webspace

Pelagrin

I found a really cool deal this past weekend.

There's some company called 1 & 1 that apparently has been providing web services for companies for a while now. They recently decided to break into the commercial market, and now they've got a pretty sweet promotion to get their name out there.

Through the end of December, they're offering 500MB of free webspace for 3 years. As far as I can tell, it seems legit, and you never have to provide any personal financial information. There's no ads, popups, etc. And they support php, sql, etc.

Its at www.1and1.com if anyone wants to check it out.

(...and sorry if this seems like a shameless plug. I get nothing out of it, but I thought it seemed cool, so I wanted to share the info.)

I've been wanting to put Ken Films back up on the internet again. I'll certainly check it out! Thanks.

yeah I've actually been using them for a couple months now... pretty convenient. Not the best service by any meands, but it's free, so I can't complain.

Yes, 1and1.com is great. I signed up a couple weeks ago. Very slick, very professional. Their admin site for configuring your options is good. And NO credit card is needed to set up your free site. Just my personal experience.

I took out a couple domain names. Unfortunately glanzer.com was already taken, so I took out both GlanzerNet.com and Glanzer-net.com. Which do you guys prefer?

Right now the site responds to http://Glanzer-net.com, but I can change it.

um...why do they want your address?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaxX @ Nov. 25 2003,6:23)]um...why do they want your address?
rock.gif
Don't know. But I doubt they even check to see if it's a real address. Of course you won't lie since you're a Christian, so you gotta use your real address.
tounge.gif

Lots of people take addresses, mostly for legal trouble (that is if you cause problems). I'm all signed up, woot woot. 3 years wow. Excellent deal Tolkien.

I've got my space...now I've gotta figure out what I want to do with it, and then I'll register a name to go with it.
smile.gif

The space is probably going to be for a role-play group that I used to participate with. We met through the Phantasy Star Online release on the Dreamcast, and we created and posted stories based on our characters on a free (ad filled) message board. Most of the stories were connected to one another in some way. That all turned out so well, that we started creating role-play stories based on other games. Unfortunately after the death of the Dreamcast, the group was kind of split between the Xbox & Gamecube. Several of us have been thinking about trying to create another role-play group, but not limit it to one console. The plan will be to open it up to anyone at all whether they want to interact on console games, PC games, or simply through a chatroom or message board posts.

I don't know how it will turn out, but it'll at least give me a chance to practice what I've learned about programming Javascrip, PHP, MySQL, etc., and give me a chance to expand my knowledge.

Well, I got my space, and got my domain name..now all I have to do is figure out how to use mysql and PHP-Nuke so I can build a website.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Nov. 26 2003,6:28)]heheh  mysql an php roxors.

my personal site runs both
biggrin.gif
Thats what I hear. Unfortunatly I'm a complete n00b and I am currently searching for help on the subjects. Once I have it figured out, my website will be www.roadoflife.net. I'll be using it for family pictures, information and stuff. Anyway, any advice on either, I would be greatful.

Cory

"Pshaw...500 mb of free webspace with no ads is worth that."

Yea, just buy a few 10-gauges and take them to bed with you at night for good measure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thaddius @ Nov. 26 2003,7:43)]I'll be using it for family pictures, information and stuff.  Anyway, any advice on either, I would be greatful.
PHP-Nuke + Gallery is all you need for online photo family albums. It's so shiny! You can even make accounts for other family members to post. I have a family web site, but no one uses or visits it. ;_;

And it seems that you cannot make use of the offer from outside US/Canada ... not unless you lie of course.....

Excellent book to help you get started learning PHP & MySQL
-------------------------------

PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide

by: Larry Ullman

Amazon Link

Back