GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

Genesis1315

Ladies
Proverbs 1:23 If you turn to my discipline, then I will pour out my spirit on you and teach you my words.

How many times have I seen this since I started reading Proverbs on a regular basis

(I will copy this over to the new thread once it is created

My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them. Proverbs 1:10 (NIV)

Never give up on not giving in.

Proverbs 1:2-6 said:
2. for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight;

3. for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair;

4. for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young--

5. let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--

6. for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise.

THe whole reason for this monthly challenge can be summed up here.

Proverbs 1:24-27 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

Wisdom is something you want to value before you need it or else when you find yourself in need of it, it may be too late.

Proverbs 2: 10 For wisdom will enter your mind, and knowledge will delight your heart.

...and that wisdom and knowledge comes from God. When you are walking with God, while life may not be smooth, there will be a peace knowing that you are exactly where God wants you to be.

My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5 (NLT)

I love the list of verbs in this passage. The New Living has each verse as a separate sentence, but each verse flows to the next ending when it comes to the result - fear of the Lord and knowledge of God.

Proverbs 2:3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

God doesn't want us seeking His wisdom out of just duty alone, but to really, really want it, fully appreciating its value and necessity to us.

Proverbs 2:22 said:
22. but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it.

Not just removed. Torn from the land. They are not going to want to go (who would? Wait, I want to leave because I know I'll be going to a better place, anyway, back on subject)

God will tear them away and then there will be nothing but the upright and blameless left!

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

There is nothing that exists outside of God's eyes and intents so it's important to make sure you honor Him in all that you do, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. Even the littlest thing may be something He is using to guide your path and if you miss it you might end up wandering astray.

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Proverbs 3:3-4 (NIV)

Love and faithfulness - what God wants - what others want.

Proverbs 3: 10 said:
10. then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

Sounds kind of messy, but having an over abundance also means I can help others who were not as blessed as I was. :D

Proverbs 3: 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding;

6 think about Him in all your ways,
and He will guide you on the right paths.

I love these verses. In our dining room, we have a tapestry of these verses. It shows a girl crossing over a dangerous bridge, but also showing that if she trusts God, then she will be okay, even on the difficult road.

Proverbs 4:12 said:
12. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.

I keep thinking of all these great sports "heroes" and how they have all stumbled, (latest = That golfer dude) and it makes me wonder if part of it is because they have not held onto Wisdom and sought understanding as we should... Because if you are busy with your mind on a certain goal, its hard to get side tracked...

Also... WOO! First one for a change on a day!

Always remember what you have learned. Your education is your life—guard it well. Proverbs 4:13 (TEV)

What you have learned - really learned - guides you in life.

Proverbs 4:6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.

It's not enough to just get wisdom. We have to make sure to keep it, too, not end up forgetting, ignoring, or turning away from any of it along the way. We have to push beyond the level of just having the knowledge to ensure we really incorporate it into our lives.

Also... WOO! First one for a change on a day!

Oh, it's a contest now, is it? ;)

Proverbs 5:21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.

Too many people, even after they get saved, spend their lives unhappily hiding in the dark because they haven't come to terms with the fact that nothing escapes His eyes. They either think that they can hide stuff from Him that they don't yet want to change, or that there's things He hasn't found out about yet that will change how He feels about them. Neither are true, and while it may be a scary thing to really accept that, life becomes much simpler and happier when you do.

Last edited:
For the lips of an immoral woman are as sweet as honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil. But in the end she is as bitter as poison, as dangerous as a double-edged sword. Proverbs 5:3-4 (NLT)

Two things strike me:

1) The description of her mouth - sweet and smooth - reminds me of all the lipstick/gloss commercials on TV where they show the lips just like this description.

2) The only other thing compared to a double-edged sword in the Bible is the Word of God in Hebrews 4:12.

Proverbs 5:3 said:
3.For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil;

First off, I want to point out that from here on out, Solomon spends a lot of his time warning against the adulteress... Makes you wonder if he wrote some of these before or after his fall from grace?

Anyway, back to the verse.

Her lips drop honey, that means she says what is desirable to you. Its shows how easy one can be led astray. She looks desirable, she teases, she flirts, she leads on.

She also has a tongue that will fill ones head with nonsense, making it difficult to think.

She will learn exactly how to say what you want to hear and let you see just what you want to see in order to lure you away...

Be careful out there. These warnings fall for women just as well as for men...

For there are six things the Lord hates—no, seven: Haughtiness, Lying, Murdering, Plotting evil, Eagerness to do wrong, A false witness, Sowing discord among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19 (TLB)

You do not want to find yourself doing the things God hates.

Back