Going Next-Gen

Monado Wielder

So who here plans on jumping into the 8th generation of home consoles (PS4, XBox One Wii U) at or around launch and what games do you plan on getting on them (or have, in the case of Wii U)? I have a Wii U already, and both XBox One and PS4 on pre-order. I want to know if there's anybody here that I'll be able to join up with for some multiplayer goodness!

I'll jump on eventually, but probably not first batch. I had problems with my early buy PS2, and of course we all know how early 360s turned out...

When I do take the leap, I'm probably going PS4 this time around. It seems like everything Sony did wrong last time is being rectified (Getting away from PPC architecture for X86, easier to program for and get max performance, lower entry point in cost.)

Fighting game player here, so I look at the differences in the games cross-platform. SF4 and MVC3 have notorious slowdown issues on PS3, so much so that Evo is switching to 360s next year. May also be the case in SFxT. Moreover, load times are terrible on the PS3 unless you install the game to your hard drive, which also tends to take a long time. I actually think Tekken Tag literally forced you to install. But Tekken worked well on PS3 from what i remember. I didn't play much of Soul Calibur to know how it is on PS3. But all told, most of the games ran better on 360, or equal. The only one that ran better on PS3 from what I've heard is Skullgirls.

I spent ~$800 on upgrades for my desktop computer in January (my first major desktop upgrade in over a decade), so I don't plan on buying a next-gen console any time soon, if ever.

EDIT: With both Xbone and PS4 featuring x86 architecture processors, it seems highly likely that most big budget titles will also get released for PC to help offset development costs (which will be higher for next-gen platforms for AAA titles).

I know that PS4-exclusive new entries in certain franchises would probably change my mind, but with Sega's recent localization track record (or lack thereof) and their purchase of Atlus' parent company, any such games may never see a US release anyway.

Last edited:
I spent ~$800 on upgrades for my desktop computer in January (my first major desktop upgrade in over a decade), so I don't plan on buying a next-gen console any time soon, if ever.

EDIT: With both Xbone and PS4 featuring x86 architecture processors, it seems highly likely that most big budget titles will also get released for PC to help offset development costs (which will be higher for next-gen platforms for AAA titles).

I know that PS4-exclusive new entries in certain franchises would probably change my mind, but with Sega's recent localization track record (or lack thereof) and their purchase of Atlus' parent company, any such games may never see a US release anyway.

I always get consoles for exclusives, so I understand. However, PS4 and XBO both are region free so you could always import.

I'm a Nintendo-fan. Always have been, always will be. Yeah, the games are childish and cartoon-y much of the time, but that's the way I like it. Plus, I'm a bigger fan of the Mario/Metroid/Zelda franchises than any Sonic or Halo thing.

Our family jumped on the Wii bandwagon last December, shortly after the Wii-U came out. I'm rarely the first to jump onto any platform, or game for that matter, so the Wii at $89 was my choice over the $199 Wii-U (I think that's what they were selling for). At the time, the Wii-U didn't have a whole lot of titles, and nothing really big announced, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Since then, they still haven't had many releases, and it has reduced confidence in the Nintendo franchise, caused their stock prices to drop, and turned many towards the Sony/Microsoft offerings.

That said, I'm probably not upgrading consoles for a while. I spend all of my time on PC games, and my kids haven't quite figured out how to play Wii games (which is surprising for my 7-year-old!), so I'm not in any big rush.

There are times when I wish I had a PS2/3, though. I fell in love with the Katamari series, which I've only seen offered on the Sony consoles (although there is now an app on iTunes which has piqued my interest), and some of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series were released on Playstation, and I wouldn't mind trying them out. I'm an RPG guy, but the genre has been getting slower, longer, and too story-based for my liking. Take me back to the original FF or Dragon Warrior I-IV on NES. FF7 was where I started losing interest, and I played FF8 briefly, but it never took, and now with the subscription model....bleh! I'll keep my cartridges, run the old-school games on my PC emulator at 8x speed, sit back and sip on my root beer while I slash and hack my way to max level - usually in about an hour or two. Booyah!

I'm a Nintendo-fan. Always have been, always will be. Yeah, the games are childish and cartoon-y much of the time, but that's the way I like it. Plus, I'm a bigger fan of the Mario/Metroid/Zelda franchises than any Sonic or Halo thing.
Ditto (though I still <3 classic Sonic games and enjoyed Sonic Colors as well).

Our family jumped on the Wii bandwagon last December, shortly after the Wii-U came out. I'm rarely the first to jump onto any platform, or game for that matter, so the Wii at $89 was my choice over the $199 Wii-U (I think that's what they were selling for). At the time, the Wii-U didn't have a whole lot of titles, and nothing really big announced, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Since then, they still haven't had many releases, and it has reduced confidence in the Nintendo franchise, caused their stock prices to drop, and turned many towards the Sony/Microsoft offerings.
The Wii U suffers from the same problem as the Vita: Not knowing their target market.

Who's going to buy the Wii U? "Core" gamers? Not likely. They may have picked up a Wii, but almost without exception they also owned a PS3 or Xbox 360 or gaming PC (or a combination thereof). Casual gamers? Nope, they've moved on to mobile. Parents? Possibly, but it's easier to convince a parent to buy a $200 tablet or give a child a hand-me-down smartphone and buy $1-$2 games than a buy $250 console with $50 games for kids that likely have a short enough attention span for mobile games to suffice. (And parents would very likely consider a 2DS for a child long before a Wii U.) Nintendo fans? Maybe, but if you're going to invest in a current Nintendo platform, 3DS is (IMO) the obvious choice over the Wii U.

Few "must-have" exclusive games = low hardware sales = small install base = developers scared off = fewer "must-have" exclusives games--and so the spiral continues.

Will I end up getting one for a Monolithsoft exclusive title? Maybe. If Monolithsoft announced Soma Bringer 2 for the 3DS tomorrow AND Nintendo guaranteed a NA localization, I'd probably set aside $500 on the spot for two 3DS XLs and 2 copies of the game. Put another way: I really, really like recent Monolithsoft games.

Would I buy the Wii U for a new (and I mean entirely new) Zelda game? Probably not, after Skyward Sword. I enjoyed SS but the pacing was rubbish and I just wanted to be done with it by the time it was over--which was a shame, because the first several hours of the game were really, really fun to play.

Would I buy the Wii U for the next Super Mario Galaxy game? Probably not, even though I <3 SMG1 and SMG2. Mario games are great, but I don't think they're worth $300. :p

That said, I'm probably not upgrading consoles for a while. I spend all of my time on PC games, and my kids haven't quite figured out how to play Wii games (which is surprising for my 7-year-old!), so I'm not in any big rush.
Completely understandable.

There are times when I wish I had a PS2/3, though. I fell in love with the Katamari series, which I've only seen offered on the Sony consoles (although there is now an app on iTunes which has piqued my interest)
Katamari Forever is a fantastic game, even if it doesn't have quite the same charm as the first two entries in the series.

And who doesn't enjoy Katamari in 1080p? Soulless robots, that's who.

The Katamari iPhone game? Don't bother. :(

IMO, the PS3's exclusives are much more interesting to PC gamers, who already have the best first-person shooters (no disrespect to Halo fans or thumbstick players intended).

and some of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series were released on Playstation, and I wouldn't mind trying them out. I'm an RPG guy, but the genre has been getting slower, longer, and too story-based for my liking. Take me back to the original FF or Dragon Warrior I-IV on NES. FF7 was where I started losing interest, and I played FF8 briefly, but it never took, and now with the subscription model....bleh! I'll keep my cartridges, run the old-school games on my PC emulator at 8x speed, sit back and sip on my root beer while I slash and hack my way to max level - usually in about an hour or two. Booyah!
I think we must be around the same age. :)

Back when I was 13, 14, 15 years old--in the heyday of SNES RPGs--I could afford the time to play through a 60-hour game. I excused the filler and padding (yes, I am talking about random encounters, which should have died and stayed dead the day Chrono Trigger was released) then; I can't excuse it now, when my gaming time is so very limited and there are so many great games available.

I personally don't think any FF after 6--with the exception of 9, and even that drags on in places and has a disappointing ending, IMO--is worth the time it takes to play it. FF7, like Ocarina of Time, is really a game that you had to play when it was current to appreciate it. Now, it just seems dated. Yes, those games influenced everything that came after, but UGH RANDOM ENCOUNTERS and UGH WATER TEMPLE.

So I'm right there with you.

Fortunately, I found new favorite franchises to replace those that dropped off. That's one of the great things about gaming: If someone drops the ball, someone else will pick it up and run with it. If Nintendo refuses to make another proper Metroid (Metroid Prime games are fine, but it's not the same), indies will make games like Bunny Must Die, Ghost Song, and Cave Story. If Nintendo makes a mediocre Zelda game, talented people create Okami. If Square Enix poisons everything it touches, then Atlus breathes new life into a genre.

If someone drops the ball, someone else will pick it up and run with it.
Like how Capcom canned Mega Man Legends 3 and dropped Keiji Inafune (still bitter :p ) only for Inafune to go and start an instantly successful Kickstarted Mega Man successor in the form of Mighty No. 9?

Yep. Definitely one of the nice things about the gaming industry. Always glad to see spiritual successors to great games when the true successors fail to meet expectations.

More on topic: I have a Wii U. I like it a lot. I mostly have it for exclusives. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of Nintendo's first party brands. Otherwise, I'm happy with my PC. Just because I'm excessive like that, I'm sure I'll pick up a PS4 and Xbox in the future when I can get a good deal on them and they have exclusives I can't live without (will probably be sooner than later if Guilty Gear Xrd doesn't get a PC build).

Last edited:
I haven't been able to afford consoles for a long while but with Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter it looks like it's going to be a wonderful time to be a PC gamer. Even if I only find a couple I want to play I'm ecstatic the way indie games are popping up nowadays, via la revolution!

After the N64, I sort of stopped playing consoles. Since then I have invested money into PCs and played games on them. BUT - I do eventually want a PS4.

Lol, I wonder if that Sonic and Halo comment popped up because of my gamertags. Anywho, I do love Halo and I have hope for the Sonic franchise. Despite such, my favorite 1st part dev has always been Nintendo! There are few Nintendo games that I don't like. For someone who doesn't want to play newer titles upon release, sticking with 7th gen is a smart financial choice.

The Wii U suffers from the same problem as the Vita: Not knowing their target market.

Who's going to buy the Wii U? "Core" gamers? Not likely. They may have picked up a Wii, but almost without exception they also owned a PS3 or Xbox 360 or gaming PC (or a combination thereof). Casual gamers? Nope, they've moved on to mobile. Parents? Possibly, but it's easier to convince a parent to buy a $200 tablet or give a child a hand-me-down smartphone and buy $1-$2 games than a buy $250 console with $50 games for kids that likely have a short enough attention span for mobile games to suffice. (And parents would very likely consider a 2DS for a child long before a Wii U.) Nintendo fans? Maybe, but if you're going to invest in a current Nintendo platform, 3DS is (IMO) the obvious choice over the Wii U.

Few "must-have" exclusive games = low hardware sales = small install base = developers scared off = fewer "must-have" exclusives games--and so the spiral continues
I have to somewhat disagree that these are the problems with the Wii U. I completely agree with the low amount of must have-exclusives at the time (they're coming though). As far as the market goes, sure tablets and smartphones are cheaper, but there's still a market for dedicated gaming hardware. If tablets and smartphones are a threat to any market, it's the mobile gaming market. However, the 3DS has already proven that, with the right price and a good lineup of games, people are willing to buy a dedicated gaming device. It's sort of like rationalising just using the family computer rather than buy an N64 for games.

As a kid, I would go over to my aunt's house and play her SNES. I found the 2D games boring and uninteresting after seeing 3D games when she got a PlayStation. I think the same effect takes a hold of kids today. If kids see an experience that looks better, they will want to have it instead. Compare tablet gaming to console gaming and it's no contest on which platform the better looking games are on.

Is the casual market all on smartphones and tablets? No, otherwise Kinect would not have sold as well as it did. Additionally a good portion of casual gamers are middle-age and up. Younger casual gamers do typically embrace the crappy cheap games that are on IOS and Android. Older casuals I don't see doing so as much. In fact allot of the older casual gamers have eye trouble and seeing a small screen is troublesome, whereas a TV is ideal.

Back on the topic of why the Wii U is failing: Looking at the 3DS launch reveals some of the primary issues with Wii U. The system's prices was too high for consumers and there was a lack of must have titles at launch. The price has been dropped and the games library looks like it will soon include much more desirable titles in the near future. The third biggest issue is confusion on what the console is due to poor marketing. So many people still think Wii U is an expansion to Wii and not a new console, it's sad. Other issues are petty infrastructure issues that really bother hard core gamers and are inexcusable for a console released this late (lack of party chat, inability to join friends in online games, and accounts that are restricted to the console they are created on).

If Square Enix poisons everything it touches, then Atlus breathes new life into a genre.
Square Enix is looking to really reverse its bad game trend and its off to a great start (Tomb Raider and FF14 reboot, server crowding issue aside). Final Fantasy 15 looks amazing and I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 3! The last Final Fantasy 13 game doesn't look bad at all either, I may have to give it a go.

Lol, our differences in taste. You love PC shooters, I love Halo. You love Atlus games, I don't care for them. It's cool though, that's part of being human.

Last edited:
Will be looking at moving away from PC gaming. Too much of a hassle upgrading parts year after year. At the moment, considering getting a PS4 while in Japan come February, it will compliment my Vita and current PSN library. I enjoy being able to put a game in and play without having to worry about drivers, frame-rate, patches and other such non-sense. Content at the moment with my Vita / 3DS XL though. :D

Back