Good F2P Steam games...

XionTawa

I play some of them. AVA, WAR INC, MS Flight.

Anyways, the list has gotten rather large, which ones do you find most worth playing? (preferably like to avoid P2W games, but if the game is fun, you can't argue with that)

What genres are you into mostly?

I notice they added more RPGs.

Alien Swarm is pretty good.

Blacklight: Retribution just came out. The graphics are superb.

I hear Tribes: Ascend is good too.

Last edited:
I'll probably try Blacklight: Retribution out after I get my new-to-me computer up and running, maybe as soon as this weekend.

Every other F2P game I've tried on Steam (and keep in mind I haven't tried them all) have been meh.

I've tried Star Trek Online, Champions Online and DC Universe Online. Star Trek was bad and they completely dropped the ball on that one. Champions was fun because of the customization but after it went F2P they completely nerfed the Create-a-Character. And as far as I can tell DCUO is pretty much Play-to-Win now, they even went as far to limiting how much money your characters can hold unless you pay. That even goes for people like me who had over the amount before it was F2P and they too your money until you pay to raise the cap.

I've played a bit of DCUO with Gator and Grey, even bought the shield and lightning pack (both fun). As for pay-to-win, I didn't see that with my experiences. The shop mainly has two powers (Lantern/Lightning) and one weapon you can buy (Shield style), but the rest are either limited time EXP-boosts or cosmetic items. Yeah there's a limit on how much money you can have but it feels more balanced across the board compared to Champions (again, a fun game but the F2P toons get less skills and options compared to payers).

TF2 is always fantastic, Tribes: Ascend looks great and is solid if you prefer that gameplay style (fast moving that requires good aim). APB Reloaded can be fun when playing with friends but the PVP is pretty broken when it queues you up, newbies against maxed out guys with the best weapons. LOTRO is a solid choice but may require an item shop purchase to unlock better features. Fallen Earth didn't keep me interested (and was pretty ugly even with max settings). Puzzle Pirates is great for the kids, the community is pretty nice and the games are enjoyable. Global Agenda: Free Agents has a cool MMO feel but the PVP can get very imbalanced.

Back