graphics cards = RIPOFF!

Acctully Gabe Newell has stated the lowest card he thinks will be able to handle HL2 at the lowest settings is a tnt2 so looks like your in business.

my 9800 will do just fine
tounge.gif

Dunno, my Radeon 9000 pro seems to run fine. i will proly upgrade it (if i save enuf) to 9600 pro. I don't like XT since i've been hearing complaints and problems... 9600 pro is good for me

NOOOOOOOO CCGR HAS A 9800 WAAAAAH! anyways, i put out a list of my crappy system specs :
700 MHz amd processor
ATI rage 128 (ooooooooollllllld card i will probably try to upgrade to nvidia geforce fx 5200 or higher or an ati radeon 9200)
9 GB hard drive (TINY DINKY stupid little hard drive which i must update to atleast 20 GB
128 MB ram
speakers
broadband internet (the only fast thing on my comp.
cool.gif
3.4 MBS megabits per second 180 mb dl in 35 min on fast server)

Same here, KoTOR, XIII, my overly modified version of half-life, my even more overly modified version of wolf et (got about every custom map out there, lol), and i think morrowind is up there somewhere in size. how can you live with those specs, i can barely live with mine

amd athalon xp 2100+ oced to a 2500
gf4 mx 440 64mb 8x agp
512 ddr pc2700
60gig hd at 7200 rpm
sb audigy xg
52x24x52 cd-rw and a 16x dvd rom
500watt ps

lol, your comp satjome is like my bros old comp, which surprisingly can run any q3 game with the gfx otptions maxed out, but then againm the q3 engine is showing its age, and only a few games using it will live past its use, rtcw and CoD, but thats proabably about it.

A. almost all new games from now and the past couple of months on won't run unless i upgrade, and
B. i can't find a cheap nvidia geforce 5200 or higher that supports direcx 9.0 and T&l and pixel shading or a radeon 9200 or higher and am also looking for an under 35 dollar hd update, maybe 20 10 or 40 GB

You can get a 80 gig hd form best buy for about 70 bucks almost every week when they put the western digital drives on sale, and I would saty away from the gf fx 5200, go for either a 5700 or a gf4 ti4600, or radeon 9600 or higher. the gf4's will run dx 9, i run halo no problem at all on my gf4 mx 440, but you will not get the newer advanced features that up and coming dx 9 games, doom 3 and such, will have to offer. also, having 512 or more of ram for all of todays newer games is almost a must.

first off, a card with open gl support, go get the old tnt riva, that runs the q3 engine no prob.

$50 or less for a card, nothing out there worth investing in now, save up for a better one, as the $50 cards may not run everything and have already outlived their lives.

more then 80 gigs? well, i own about 60 games all the way form wolf 3d to KoTOR, witho about 15-20 over a gig and a half in themselves, add that to microsoft office and visual studio, countless web sites and graphics for them, a lot of music (since my pc is my cd player, i put all my cds on there), and a partial completed game engine project, 80 is no where near enough, and since i only have 60, i only have about 15 games in rite now, and most of my data and graphics i have on cd-rw instead of the HD, lol

No, not new vid cards, USED ones that are cheaper, otherwise i'd probably have to spend atleast $150 on a hd and good vid card

if you are buying used one, make sure it is not refurbished, meaning a faulty card was returned to the manufatcurer and "fixed". ive had a refurbished HD before, and it lasted about a week. If you want something that will work and work well that is not obsoleted, you will have to spend money, and there really isnt away around that, unless you want to take the risk of getting a card that doesnt work, or one that is obsoleted and useless for everything less then a year old. If what you have now works, might as well keep using it til you can afford someting worth buying, rite now, Im saving up for a amd 64 bit 3200 and a radeon 9800 xt (unless nvidia releases dome decent drivers for the 5950 by the time I buy), but cant afford them comfortably right now, Im holding off a few months til I can afford to build a new system with those in it. I could build a decent system now, better then what I have, but it would last me no more then a year before I would have to build again, so waiting to buy a card may be a better idea, that way you will be able to buy a decent card that will last you longer then some cheap one you could get now.

Until a few months ago I was still running a 500mhz p3 with 256mb of ram and a Radeon 7500, I had upgraded that from 96mb of ram and a enslaved voodoo 2 and a tnt 2 which was orignaly a 4mb on board card.

YEEEEESSSSSS!!! i got a radeon 9200 for 49.99 (and a free copy of will rock, which i don't wan't, i wanted rainbow six 3 instead, so am selling will rock, if anybody wants it

Back