Guild Event - World vs. World for Newbies - Thursday, Oct 04, 9 EST/6 PST

couple of questions about WvW;
how is exp determined? [is it according to your Lv or exp as if you are lv80]
and loot? [do you loot each thing you kill or receive loot at the end of the round/session]

i will be going necro
should i use minions or marks?
and what range weapon would suffice? [axe,staff etc..]

Last edited:
Xp is always granted as a % of your "xp to level". So you are always getting the same amount of xp regardless of level with the flat leveling curve they give, it's just that they give you more xp to level and so the numbers you gain get bigger as you level. You wouldn't be nearly as interested if you were getting 11xp per kill at level 80, but you are still getting the same amount. This is why, when I finished all the level 1-15 zones, I was level 25 or so.

So, in other words, whether you are level 1 adjusted to 80 or level 79 adjusted to 80, you are still gaining the same xp in WvW.

About necros, I can not comment, but I have heard that using mass minions is rather broken-ish. Capitalizing on AoE's is important in WvW since a lot of the bigger battles are large scale.

Ok let's try this again. It sounds like a lot of fun, and somewhat exciting, and I would love to do it, but for personal reasons I can't do PvP. For the sake of my computer equipment and personal equilibrium I don't dare. Pray that it becomes possible with a clear go ahead from God that it is ok.

I did WvW for first time last week, for a couple hrs. Ryan and Orry took me and it was fun!! The loot drops right at your feet in little bags you pick up.

We were up on the walls of a keep fighting invaders and when your downed or dead.. your rezzed super fast--last resort is to go back to waypoint so on TS you'll be advised if better to wait for rez or go back.

Seriously it's just like PvE but on a grander scale! /roar!

Woah! 3 pages...awesome!

I'll update the OP, as well as address a few questions here:

What if I'm late?
Being late is just fine! The map is not instanced; as soon as you get in you can meet up with us at any time. I plan to be in for at least 3 hours, others may stay later, leaving earlier is of course fine as well. Just please try to have TS installed and tested (IE: you've at least connected to cgalliance) beforehand, if you haven't already, so that no one has to walk through that then.

Traits/suggested builds?
Already answered a bit, and I'll touch on it too. First, bring whatever you have - no worries if you don't have a perfect WvW build, or are missing slots. If you are made of meat, and can act as a shield, you can help. ;) In WvW you can expect to see anything from small skirmish to large 60+ person battles. Generally people tend to spec ranged, and AoE. This is both due to the number of people, and the usual frame rate drop. The other nice thing about AoE is it lets you assist with more kills, gaining you much more XP. Since we'll be with a medium-sized group, we can roll over anything small, so plan for big. :) Also strongly recommended to have a speed boost. Mobility is very important - getting back to the fight after death, chasing down a fleeing enemy, or running from one yourself.

I will post my guardian build today or tomorrow. I run staff for the line of warding, might buff, aoe heals, aoe auto-attack, and swiftness ward. Ward is great because you can hit more than 5 people and cast it in front of yourself while running to get the whole group moving. Typical utility is Signet of Resolve, Save Yourselves!, Hold the Line!, Wall of Reflection, and Renewed Focus.

I'll start a 2nd thread on WvW builds. I know others can speak specifically to Thief and Necromancer. Edit to add: I'd definitely recommend against minions. Excessive AoE will burn through them. I'd lean more towards wards/lifesteal/etc.

XP/loot/etc
Just to clarify what is above, getting the "same amount" means you are getting the same percentage of a level. So you will level just as fast at level 70 as you do at level 10. Actually it's probably faster since you'll probably be better at your class by then...and especially compared to general PvE.

You will get tons of level-appropriate blue/green/and even occasional yellow drop from kills. This includes killing enemy players; the game generates loot just like it does in PvE. You can also get tons of high level crafting material, like orichalcum, assuming you are high enough level to use the correct tool. Plan on bringing the best tools you can equip. Lastly, you get siege plans for WvW and badges of honor, which can be traded in to get more siege weapons, craft legendaries (have fun with that), or get level 80 exotic weapons/armor.

Also, I got more karma in 2 days of WvW than I did from leveling 1-60.

Lastly...remember there's no such thing as a dumb question - ask away and we'll all get better.

Last edited:
Be aware that, due to the fact that mobs drop loot on their bodies, it is very easy to overlook the loot bags that drop at your feet. Be mindful of this and watch for the yellow-ish orange loot pop up. I miss loot all the time. In my experiences, you always make enough cash to cover repair costs unless you are just getting trampled.

Lastly, be aware that the attackers are able to knock you off the wall through various means - so always be thinking of a way out when you are dropped into the mad throng below. You can often just dodge into the colored portals that act as a way through gates for defenders.

I'll post my theif WvW thoughts as well. Much of it is untested, but I've been researching a lot into it lately since I feel that WvW is the perfect endgame :) What I have tested, I will also comment on.

For WvW Necro questions look at the necro thread. My build is built for WvW.

As stated above, loot drops at your feet (LOVE IT!). If done properly, you get more exp in WvW than in PvE as there are many more potential events. I have not payed attention to the karma, so I cannot comment on that. One thing to note is that you need as much condition removal as you can possibly get. (Via skills/traits) as WvW you get a lot of conditions and they're killer.

Just wanted to show off. We did well today in WvW =D

gw028.jpg

Last edited:
Woo, blue knights rule! You're going down, red knights!

It's very nice to see us in a solid first this week after being a distant third last week against the same teams.

Won't be able to make it with the 5 hour time difference, don't really feel like WvW at 2 in the morning.. but I give you my blessings!

Remember to claim anything you capture for LoE, members and officers can claim any unclaimed supply depot, tower, fort, castle!! Also Ryan, don't forget to activate the PvP influence bonus before you head out as well. We should get a lot of influence if we have a group going into WvW!

I would consider tagging along (big groups are always best when they are organized), but I unfortunately can't be using Teamspeak right now. This isn't a matter of not being able to talk, but when I am online in the evenings I have to have half my attention on our infant (she is usually sleeping by that time). Where I have my computer I can't hear her if I have headphones on, and my wife gets a little overwhelmed if I have voice chat on without headphones. If I do decide to do WvW that night and I see you guys on I might follow along just the same.

Turns out I'm going to try and make it after all. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'm looking forward to it!

I would consider tagging along (big groups are always best when they are organized), but I unfortunately can't be using Teamspeak right now. This isn't a matter of not being able to talk, but when I am online in the evenings I have to have half my attention on our infant (she is usually sleeping by that time). Where I have my computer I can't hear her if I have headphones on, and my wife gets a little overwhelmed if I have voice chat on without headphones. If I do decide to do WvW that night and I see you guys on I might follow along just the same.

Join anyway, if you can! TS is definitely very important, but not as important as playing with guildies. You'll just be missing out on some of the conversation. :)

If you can't be on TS make sure you're in a group with (when I'm on) me, or Ryan. One of the leaders. As much as TS makes it easier, it is not absolutely needed. As long as you've got a good leader.

Yeah and to add to that - chances are we'll be ad-hoc joining up with others that are not in our guild. If we pull a crowd of 10 more people into taking a keep, and then want to go get a nearby supply depot...we won't leave the other folks hanging. Local chat works great for that, because you never have to worry about being in the same party/squad/guild/etc.

So no one will be lost - just follow all the green dots.

I considered it, but did not reach out for this week. My hope was to keep it as simple as possible and encourage our folks to try it out, and coordinate with other guilds in the near future. I did mention something to MiLK about doing some WvW together, which was met with both hesitation and interest, and I know LION folks hop in and out all the time.

I am not sure if Thursday is the best day, but would like to try to make a weekly thing of scheduled WvW. That way folks know when it's here. I picked Thursday due to hoping for slightly smaller queue times over Friday/etc. Other strong possiblity is doing something like 1 week (or weekend?) night and again on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. That would make it easy for the Euro-and Aussi crew to join up with us.

Definitely no qualms about more showing up tomorrow, though, the more the merrier. :)

RyanB, thanks for that. I have become pretty good at following groups in WvW as I am usually going in solo. Hopefully I will be able to log on while all of you are still playing.

Thanks for putting it together, Ryan. It was fun and crazy. Looking forward to doing it some more.

Great idea guys. Hope you had fun. Any chance we could try one on a Sat afternoon? I'm temped to try but that night doesn't work for me.

Kel

Back