I'd like an extra large chunk of MEAT, well done please.

my opinion is:
Eating meat is a sin (for some people)
Eating meat is not a sin (for some people)

Both are true. Since we are no longer under the law but grace this is a personal matter with the Holy Spirit (God) and not something anyone can judge for another person.

QFT.

I know there isn't much I can add to this discussion that hasn't been said and Ewoks pretty much summed up my view on it.

Nothing bugs me more when somebody takes a personal conviction and then applies it to the general population saying "This is the Christian thing to do." Pharisee is a term that comes to mind, religion is another. Jesus did not have much use for either of them.

If you feel convicted to do something, then go and do it. And let it be over with. Jesus is a personal savior, he is a personal Lord. God wants each of us to get to know him on a personal level that will be completely unique from everybody else. If one is convicted one way and another a different way, then so be it. It is over, every position can be argued biblically, right or wrong. Follow God they way you feel you are being led. There is no point in arguing with these people because it doesn't matter. What is the passage, don't throw your gems to the dogs. The pearls of wisdom God reveals to you are for you to treasure. Let them have theirs, right or wrong.

Let this video lighten your spirit.

3. Farmers markets. Go to the local one. Seriously.

Just a note on that, there was an investigative show on CBC (In Canada) for Farmer Markets and it was about how a lot of "Farmer markets" are now selling foods bought and shipped over from elsewhere and its not actually being grown at a local farm. In the show one of the examples was "fresh garlic" being sold at a farmers market in Ontario and during the show you find out that type of garlic would be to expensive to grow and sell here. The reporter does a bunch of interviews/investigations and it ends up the garlic they were selling was shipped from Russia.

So it's always good to find out where your food is really coming from, people can put anything on a sign.

Just a note on that, there was an investigative show on CBC (In Canada) for Farmer Markets and it was about how a lot of "Farmer markets" are now selling foods bought and shipped over from elsewhere and its not actually being grown at a local farm. In the show one of the examples was "fresh garlic" being sold at a farmers market in Ontario and during the show you find out that type of garlic would be to expensive to grow and sell here. The reporter does a bunch of interviews/investigations and it ends up the garlic they were selling was shipped from Russia.

So it's always good to find out where your food is really coming from, people can put anything on a sign.

That's good to know. I probably won't have as much of a problem with that out here in cow country, but I'll definitely be checking to see where people are getting their stuff now, haha.

The buy local sediment, while honorable, is inherently flawed. Buying local for produce and product that is advantageously grown locally = good. Buying local for produce and product that is not advantageously grown locally = bad. The garlic example above is on example of bad.

I live in Alberta, not well known for growing peaches. Not to say that they can't be. In order for them to be, farmers would have to some how extend the growing season, deal with pests not found in zones where peaches grow naturally, deal with foreign soil conditions, artifically increase or decrease the temperature to a closer to ideal temperature for peaches and so on and so on. To do all that = bad. Bad for the environment, bad for your pocket book.

TL;DR:

Buy local produce and products that local conditions naturally support.

The buy local sediment, while honorable, is inherently flawed.

Along with that is the "grow your own" sentiment. I have lived where we had enough land to have a garden - a substantial one. The amount of work and time and cost - it was like a full time job. It is for farmers. In the good old days when families grew and raised their own food - they ate what they had - and that was almost all they ate. If it was out of season...forget it.

Me - I like having beans when oranges in the winter and beans in the spring and squash in the summer. We can transport fruit and vegetables across miles and country boundaries. And I like my meat - but you won't catch me killing it. I prefer when it comes cut up in a little package, ready to use.

Two books I suggest to read:

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan

For a good insight on how corn is used in nearly ever aspect in our food industry then read The Omnivores Dilemma. It's very surprising. Pollan also states how oil gets into our food as well with the use of petroleum-based pesticides and fertilizers.

Growing your own food is really a matter of what is available for space. I have 22 acres that I really can't grow much on, rock, steep hill, scrub, lots of trees, which hold the hill in place. Two small flat spots, one is the doggie restroom, the other is over the leach bed, both on a much used deer runway. Managed to grow some tomatoes next to the parking space where it drops over the hill tucked tight up to a brick planter. Land does not equal growing space.

As if the manufacturers are conspiring to get you to eat sugar when you don't want to. . .
My goodness, he explains the reason manufacturers use HFCS a couple of paragraphs later (it's cheaper and a smaller amount is needed to sweeten).

Incidentally that's also why real sugar tastes better. Aspartame is a lot sweeter than sugar, and that's why diet sodas have that after-taste, because the actual concentration is lower.

That video was funny, but I kind of doubt causing a few stomach aches and simply being made in China/elsewhere will cause Americans to rise up and make their own food.

Additionally, when we DID make our own food way back in the day (I'm thinking of early 1900s) it wasn't safe at all... even by health standards of the day. Accidents on the job would happen, people would be injured or killed by machinery and you're wrong if you think the production line was stopped.

Last edited:
Back