L4D2 Profanity Filter

Tested the unfinished version in multiplayer yesterday (as opposed to single player). It didn't work so I went searching for answers. Apparently, official servers and/or dedicated servers without the addon in their whitelist will disable it for the duration of play due to potential hacks I suppose. Meaning, the addon would essentially be useless in the play format that most people use. The only workaround that I have found is directly replacing your sound files (Umm Valve, no one could have thought of that for hacking as opposed to an addon?).

Anyway, I'm still sorting through the sound files. I'll decide what to do when I am done.

I uploaded it to the workshop (not public yet). I'm going to run a test after my boys go to bed and if all seems well I'll mark it as public. As stated before, it will only work in single-player or on servers not blocking addons.

Nicely done yet again Patriot... I know it's more then just our community that appreciates your skills and hard work on this.

I don't play the game, but I've been watching your updates. Just wanted to say well done and thanks for your taking the time to provide this to other folks. :D

I know we canceled the subscription for the ToJ L4D2 server, but, if I understand correctly, we can use this add-on just by installing it ahead of setting up a game by using one of our computers as a listen server. Right?

Thank you very much for all your hard work on this project so far, Patriot! :)

Last edited:
I'd say "no problem" but that would be lying. Glad to know the effort was appreciated.

Basically, the addon, if enabled, always works in single-player mode. If playing multi-player then it depends on the server you are using. Some allow all addons, some have a whitelist of allowed addons, and some (official dedicated) don't allow any addons. If you locally host a game then I believe addons are allowed and the filter should work.

I'm fiddling with a program to take the effort out of copy/paste for me with creating a zip. It's probably more effort than copy/paste but that isn't the point. I hope to have that done tomorrow and then I should be able to post the zip file to my skydrive. Then you should be able to unzip/overwrite the sounds to your L4D2 folder. Then the addon becomes unnecessary because the sounds the game plays have been changed. Then it should work on any server. Of course, that is untested at the moment.

The permanent filter is done and briefly tested (not guaranteed to be error-free). It appeared to be working on Official Servers. It is located here: L4D2ProfanityFilterLitePerm.7z

Instructions:

1. You need 7-zip installed to extract the archive.
2. Download the archive.
3. Open explorer to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2" (or where ever your left 4 dead 2 folder is)
4. Right-click/drag the archive into the left 4 dead 2 folder
5. In the popup menu select: 7-Zip->Extract Here
6. When prompted to overwrite choose "Yes to All" (If you are not prompted, you probably extracted to the wrong folder)

Alternatively, you could extract the archive to another location and manually drag and drop into each sound folder.

I'm not sure how motivated I am to go back and silence the individual words in the sound clips. Personally, I play with my brother and cousin with steam voice chat running and don't pay much attention to what the NPC's are saying the vast majority of the time. We'll see if the squealing gets annoying enough to prompt me to make the extra effort. If someone else wants to do it I can zip the sound files and place them on my skydrive for you to grab.

SkyDrive won't allow download

Patriot -

I was trying to download the 7 zipped file from your skydrive; however, no matter what browser I use it always tells me that Skydrive is unable to scan the file for viruses and it will not let me download it. Is there any other medium I can get that from you? Perhaps you could email it to me?

Thanks,

Happy-One

The permanent filter is done and briefly tested (not guaranteed to be error-free). It appeared to be working on Official Servers. It is located here: L4D2ProfanityFilterLitePerm.7z

Instructions:

1. You need 7-zip installed to extract the archive.
2. Download the archive.
3. Open explorer to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2" (or where ever your left 4 dead 2 folder is)
4. Right-click/drag the archive into the left 4 dead 2 folder
5. In the popup menu select: 7-Zip->Extract Here
6. When prompted to overwrite choose "Yes to All" (If you are not prompted, you probably extracted to the wrong folder)

Alternatively, you could extract the archive to another location and manually drag and drop into each sound folder.

I'm not sure how motivated I am to go back and silence the individual words in the sound clips. Personally, I play with my brother and cousin with steam voice chat running and don't pay much attention to what the NPC's are saying the vast majority of the time. We'll see if the squealing gets annoying enough to prompt me to make the extra effort. If someone else wants to do it I can zip the sound files and place them on my skydrive for you to grab.

Back