Lord- Atheist –Service

Gods_Peon said:
I'll give this much to you DV, that what you quoted is definatly what many think. But, should any of them actually read thier bibles to determine what God has to say about it, they'll find out that they are only partially right. Alas, they are not freethinkers like you. They wouldn't possible research for evidence that would be contrary to their beliefs, they certainly wouldn't google for quotes that would invalidate thier position, like you would, right?

Aside from that, I've decided to look at what the handbook of Christianity had to say about the whole thing:

Genesis 1:26-28

I must be a complete moron because I don't see God creating man here to grovel and tremble in fear of God here. Rather, I see a complete reverse of what all the quotes you gave. That God created man so that he could glorify, honor and love us. God created man and gave man dominion over his creation. Far from a subservant position you can get.

Our primary purpose on earth is to be loved and glorified by God! God said, "Let's make man in our own image." That is awesome! Not a subject or servant. "Let's make them in our likeness and give them dominion over everything we have created!"

Psalm 8:4-8

He made us to live in the Eden of his Presence.

The word glorify is not some religious expression projecting images of divinity, halos, or sunbursts. To glorify is to hold in high opinion or estimate. Glory is honor resulting from a good opinion. In creating us in his image, God expressed his high estimate of us. He glorified us.

Romans 8:28-30

Jesus speaks of sharing Glory in his Prayer in John 17:22

Paul adds:

2Cor 3:18a

Our ultimate glorification is further assured:

1John 3:1f

Col3:4

1Cor2:7

God created us so he would have us to love and glorify by sharing his likeness and companionship. Rather than creating us to be trembling slaves of whom praise is demanded, he gave to us his nature and accepts us as his sons and daughters. He invites us to come boldly to his throne. He invites us to reign with him.

When we realize this, we will love him, holding him in the highest opinion and estimation. Yes, we will praise and glorify him in word, life, and song. It will be a happy response to his glorification of us. That, however, will not be a effort to fulfill a supposed purpose on earth to meet his demands for praise.

The two motivations are radically different.

"You were bought with a price." That is the Gospel, the Good News of our glorification. "So glorify God in your body." (1 Cor. 6:20). That is our willing response of giving praise to God.

Peon, you haven't actually answered the question, have you?

What you have shown is the HOW, not the WHY.

Would you mind addressing that question?

Gods_Peon said:
I did not set out to discount that we are to glorify and serve God. I set out to show it was not the only purpose.

Even using Eccl 12:13, you have to ask, what are Gods commandments? Or at least, what are the greatest commandments. First one was to server God the second was to serve man. Again, a duality in purpose arises.

Peon, how does that invalidate my assertion of Man's CHIEF purpose?

I already stated there were other purposes in my previous post. I am interested in what you believe Man's CHIEF purpose is.

Snake_Six said:
The Roman Catholic Church in of itself is not Christian. I didn't say that a Catholic couldn't be a True Christian, but if they are, then God will lead them to a church with Biblical doctrine.

Notice that I didn't say anything about the RCC, YOU did. I was referring to Roman Catholics in general.

There are MANY Christians, including some on this board, that believe that Catholics of any kind are NOT "true" Christians.

Peon, you haven't actually answered the question, have you?

Yes I have, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean its invalidated.

What you have shown is the HOW, not the WHY.

This was not the question nor the purpose.

Would you mind addressing that question?

What question?

Peon, how does that invalidate my assertion of Man's CHIEF purpose?

This was not your assertion. You assertion was that it was Man's only purpose.

I already stated there were other purposes in my previous post.

Where did you assert in the following posts (which are all your previous posts except for the last three.) that Christians beleive that we have other purposes other then the selfish purpose to serve and honor God.

Datt, you make a horrible, incorrect assumption that atheists have not searched for God, or gods in general. Many atheists were once theists. I was once Christian. I believe that puts me in a unique position to see both sides of the fence, and only now after experiencing both sides can I be truly objective.

You are also incorrect when you state, "
Lord created this universe for the enjoyment without any selfish motive" That is not true. Doesn't the Bible state that we were created for a purpose: to honor and serve God? Sounds like a selfish motive to me.

What makes human existence "incomplete" without serving an ethereal master?
Would you mind defining what a "true" Christian is?
Where do you get that God worships himself? Do you have scriptural reference for that?
NO, it doesn't follow. I'm assuming you have no scriptural reference for that statement?
So how are Roman Catholics not True Christians? The seem to fit your definition.
It was my understanding that the angels, and man, were made to glorify God. I did a quick google search and found quite a few web sites where Christians state the same thing. Here are a few quotes:
I could go on, but I think that's sufficient.

You asked if I thought this was our SOLE purpose. I'm sure you could come up with more, but like the quotes I've shown, Christians believe that the CHIEF purpose is to glorify God.

Your move.
Proof is always good

If you will notice, the questions I ask have a common thread. To understand the reasoning behind your beliefs.

Dark Virtue said:
Notice that I didn't say anything about the RCC, YOU did. I was referring to Roman Catholics in general.

There are MANY Christians, including some on this board, that believe that Catholics of any kind are NOT "true" Christians.

...and some aren't. Myself, I think some of the churches are dead in the spiritual sense. There's no happiness or life in them. Besides that, my grandparents aren't encouraged to read the Bible for themselves (they were taught that the priests would tell them all they needed to know)... and suddenly they believe in evolution (most of them) because the Pope said it was okay. :confused: and their beliefs about the divinity of Mary and whatnot. I don't know...

It's a touchy subject, because there are Catholics on this site and I don't want to offend anyone, so if I did I apologize but those are just my views

Dark Virtue said:
It was my understanding that the angels, and man, were made to glorify God. I did a quick google search and found quite a few web sites where Christians state the same thing. Here are a few quotes:

I could go on, but I think that's sufficient.

You asked if I thought this was our SOLE purpose. I'm sure you could come up with more, but like the quotes I've shown, Christians believe that the CHIEF purpose is to glorify God.

Your move.

Excuse me for coming into this quite late but the word of God says this from the book of Ecclesiastes 12:13 ---
"The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man."

Honoring and obeying God is a normal thing for those who love God.

As a Christian our chief purpose is to tell others that are not saved about Jesus Christ.:)

Back