Magic

Good question, Jango! You don't actually know what's true and what's not. That's where faith: belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence, comes into the picture.

And using the Bible to prove the Bible doesn't really work. You see that, don't you?

<Sergeant Barnes voice>"Magic? What d'y'all know about magic?"/<Sergeant Barnes voice>

Seriously guys, I've never seen ANYTHING like AD&D style magic. And I've never seen a demon either. I find it quite interesting that Christians and Atheists are debating whether magic comes from spirits or demons or does/doesn't exist at all, when none of you have seen any of the three things in question!

Eon

Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
tounge.gif

Well, experience is by definition subjective. But if anyone on here knows more than I do about magic they've been fairly quiet about it thus far... ;)

Eon

I think what Jango said was really good. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

You can't see oxygen, but you know it's there, because we need it to breathe. You can't see Carbon Monoxide, but you know it's there, because it can kill us. (Oh, I guess I don't have any good examples...) But anyway, nicely said Jango.

I've found plenty of things that lead me to believe whole-heartedly that God exists, and that what the Bible says is true.

Oxygen and carbon monoxide can be observed, detected, tested and so on. What magic have you observed and tested? What demons have you come into contact with? And no, the mentally ill do not count; sorry.

Here are some good examples of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sorry Drelin, whenever people talk about magic I'm very careful to point out that the only data I have are subjective experience. That's why I don't make a big deal out of people telling me that it CAN'T exist, except to point out that I've experienced things that make me believe otherwise.

The kind of magic I've experienced is very general in nature. Divination works by providing me with an aspect of the situation that the Runes consider important to consider. Healing has never been anything stronger than taking away pain in my personal experience. The contact of spirits - well, they do say that when you look hard enough you tend to find what your looking for - but the feeling is indescribable.

Better the lie that exalts us than ten thousand "truths". ;)

Eon

Sure, I understand. I don't think that magic can't exist, I just haven't seen anything that makes me think it does.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And using the Bible to prove the Bible doesn't really work. You see that, don't you?

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness...

1 Eon 11:57 - Your mileage may vary. Objects in the mirror may appear closer than reality. Subject to status, terms and conditions. Not applicable in the state of Iowa. Plus postage and packing.

Um, SeaToad, you missed his point. You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1 Eon 11:57 - Your mileage may vary. Objects in the mirror may appear closer than reality. Subject to status, terms and conditions. Not applicable in the state of Iowa. Plus postage and packing.
heh..

Maybe I'll have to put it in bold this time...

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SeaToad @ April 17 2004,9:07)]Maybe I'll have to put it in bold this time...

2 Timothy 3:16  All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness...

1 Eon 11:57 - Your mileage may vary. Objects in the mirror may appear closer than reality. Subject to status, terms and conditions. Not applicable in the state of Iowa. Plus postage and packing.

In case the sarcasm is missing its target, what I'm trying to say is that writing something down and then quoting it as its own proof of veracity is not very intellecutally rigorous.Even if you use bold type.

Example of Virtual Reality
Blackmage > Everything else in final fantasy.

Just so you people get the connection here...Blackmages arent real, nor are the things that happen in final fantasy (heh...notice the fantasy part?). [small]But they still own the game ^^ [/small]

real "Magic" = A rigged trick to make you belive something that isnt true.

And i belive i read in the bible somewhere David drank from the horn of a unicorn...or something. I'll go look it up, the passage and all. I dont think unicorns Exist.

Just think about it.

Ha!

Thanks for the comic relief, SeaToad.

Wait... you were using irony to demonstrate how absurd using the Bible to prove itself is, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thought you two knew what reproof means... I geuss I overestimated.

I know what reproof means. I don't know what point you're making, though. Timothy said that scripture is good for a whole bunch of things, including reproof. So what? I'm afraid you'll have to just come out and explain your position to us instead of dropping Bible verses, then emphasising a certain word and insulting people when they don't say hey lololz i geuss ur right then. teh bible reely does prove itself.

Back