Magic

guyee

I really don't understand why everyone here has this unreasonable fear of magic. I mean it's ok to go out and beat someone to death with a sword, but if you use magic then your soul is damned for eternity?

And shouldnt the use of magic affect whether or not it is considered as evil? Same as you can use a knife to prepare food or kill someone, that doesnt make the knife itself evil, or your use of the knife a cause for eternal damnation does it?

Why should magic be different? If you use magic in a game to kill your oponents, how does that differ from you killing them with any other kind of weapon?

Where exactly in the Bible does it say that magic is wrong? I'm not talking about the praise of other deities, but simply magic how it is symbolized in games, as a part of the person that casts the spells?

If you're strictly talking about magic in video games, then it may or may not be wrong.  It usually comes down to this - do you feel that God is telling you it's wrong?  I could tell you my personal feelings about it, but I don't think that would resolve anything.  I'll give you the same advice that I received here.  Read I Chorinthians 8, and then see how you feel.

Now, if you're talking about using magic in real life, that's a whole different story.  I would stay far away from it.

Lol, I started writing this, then saw you alread said my main point, beat me to it. . . . . .

Also another thing. In the Bible, various things, from tent pegs to swords, anf knives, were used to kill people, and some fo these killings were done by people that sent them. "Magic" was never used, and the practice of it was forbidden. In games, it is after all a game, nothing real about it, so like Ive told everyone else with similar questions, read 1 Corinthians 8 and apply it to the situation.

I tend to prefer warrior characters anyways. What's wrong with self defense? In Morrowind I did lock picking magic but not summoning. I don't like games that force magic on you, or hinder your character without it.

2Kings 17:17 And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

for real life magic, alot of the time that power comes from demons, and well demons=evil. video games i have a semi neutral position. im like CCGR i prefer bashing stuff up close but will use a lock pick spell or a divine intervention scroll.

If I play an rpg (which is a rare event for this die-hard fpser), I only use "holy magic", such as paladin stuff, healing, etc.. No dark combat spells, thanks. Besides those are the n00b. Stop casting your lame fire balls and use a hammer, like a real man.
mad.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I agree, maxx, i always use the light side in jedi knight, and others

Ya hear that Kidan? Use light side!!!!
laugh.gif

Just a little background, Kidan uses dark side and was nailing me in Jedi Outcast. Truthfully, the best way to get good at light side powers is to play against someone using dark side powers.

I tend to stay away from most magic oriented games. If necessary, I will use some magic, but when creating characters, I tend to be warriors/fighters. I have a problem with some of the magic because, to me, some of the spells are things we shouldn't even be joking about.

This is a fine line and each one of us has a different stance. I have no problem with Star Wars and the Force, while I know others may consider the Force a no-no.

*in deep breathes* Maxx... Maxx.... I am your father.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
for me i have no proplem with the "force"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dr. Tek @ Feb. 07 2004,8:36)]Lol, I started writing this, then saw you alread said my main point, beat me to it. . .
Heheh.  I've learned from you then.  
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I usually don't use magic on any games.  Occasionally, if I'm about to die, and I have no other choice, I will use a healing spell.  It also depends on the game.

Like in RuneScape, for example.  I used magic until I grew to level 33, just so that I could slay the dragon and wear a rune platemail.  (Which is the strongest piece of armour in the game.  You would have to play the game to really understand...)  However, I never really used it after that, except maybe to teleport if I am lazy, and I never used it against anyone in the game.

Magic in games is different then real life magic, real life magic has to do with demons, but in games its usually that the people have this extra power, no demons involved. I use magic in games fine, Even though im always a warrior i dont see why not. In real life you dont have MP to use to cast spells, so it cant really be compared, they are completely different kinds of magic. just like card tricks, are they evil?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I really don't understand why everyone here has this unreasonable fear of magic.

Neither do I. Apparenly there's a belief that God will hold people resonsible for things that they didn't do and that never took place. And I think that places all of us in a lot of trouble...

eh, its been a while since ive seen a post like drelin, and i cant remember the answer i had a while back for the same question, >_<

God holds us accoutnable for our actions and motives, he will be just and noone will question his judgement as it will be fair and righteous

Magic is evil in real life...especially magic the gathering....its so stupid its evil....Magic in games is OK.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FIR3 @ Mar. 19 2004,9:02)]Magic is evil in real life...especially magic the gathering....its so stupid its evil....Magic in games is OK.
"magic in real life"
laugh.gif

I think magic only exsists in games, books and movies. I don't think anybody in real life was ever able to cast a fireball, create a thunderstorm or something else. Okay I know some people who buy some books about magic and stuff but unless they show me it really works I'd say it's a waste of their money.

Uh, technically speaking, the Christian faith falls under the label of 'occult' in general since it deals in the invisible and supernatural; the occult.

Of course, I assume you're refering to the stigma people have attached to the word 'occult,' not what the word actually means, yes?

Back