Magic

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Mar. 28 2004,4:03)]Basically, I feel that magic is people using the power of demons.
Magic has got nothing to do with demons.

In the past, people used the word "magic" for all things they couldn't explain. Using a lighter 500 years ago would be called "casting fire". As technology and science advance, magic automatically disappears because mankind doesn't need "magic" anymore to explain things. But still people (without education) think magic does exsist. African tribes think the locomotive is a device made by the devil and taking a picture of a friend will steal his soul.........
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Moonblade @ Mar. 30 2004,12:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jango @ Mar. 28 2004,4:03)]Basically, I feel that magic is people using the power of demons.
Magic has got nothing to do with demons.

In the past, people used the word "magic" for all things they couldn't explain. Using a lighter 500 years ago would be called "casting fire". As technology and science advance, magic automatically disappears because mankind doesn't need "magic" anymore to explain things. But still people (without education) think magic does exsist. African tribes think the locomotive is a device made by the devil and taking a picture of a friend will steal his soul.........
rock.gif
hmmm....im going to Africa! Time to freak out some people! WOOT!
tounge.gif

Well, I just hope they don't spear you or something. Sorry, maybe that wasn't appropriate...

In real life, yes, I think magic does come from demons. In games, it often doesn't, but just remember that games are not real.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 01 2004,2:16)]In real life, yes, I think magic does come from demons.
What has "magic" got to do with "demons"? Only one thing: neither of them exist in real life.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 02 2004,4:26)]Well, I do believe that magic and demons exist in real life, and they are both related.
sure....and I "believe" in UFO's, werewolves, ghosts, vampires, dragons and zombies
rock.gif

If you see one, be sure to make a picture and show me.
laugh.gif

How old are you?

TrigunX89, have you had first hand experiences with magic or demons that could not more easily or simply be explained without attributing those experiences to supernatural forces?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 02 2004,7:04)]I'm 15.  And it's in the Bible.
Strange because last time I read it, I didn't find anything about zombies, vampires or werewolves.

If you look back in history, you will find that vampires exsisted. Count Dracula was a real person also. I don't think they could turn into bats though lol.

I do not believe in zombies or werewolfs. Demons, however, I do believe in. My Bibles' translations don't mention demons, but they do mention devils. (which I think are basically the same) Try these verses.

Matthew 8:16, and Matthew 8:28-33.

Ok, I found another one. Thank God for the concordance!

James 2:19 - "You believe there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder."

Also, the verses I posted in the last post mention "demons" in the NIV Bible. They are called "devils" in the King James Version, which I was originally using.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (-Drelin @ April 04 2004,9:27)]TrigunX89, have you had first hand experiences with magic or demons that could not more easily or simply be explained without attributing those experiences to supernatural forces?
Oops, sorry. I forgot about your question. I can't recall having any personal experiences that I'm aware of, but I do believe in what the Bible says.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 06 2004,2:35)]Oops, sorry.  I forgot about your question.  I can't recall having any personal experiences that I'm aware of, but I do believe in what the Bible says.
And do you also believe that "earth" isn't round and is the center of the universe?
You shouldn't believe EVERY single word used in the Bible. The Bible is something you should try to understand (the deeper meaning) instead of believing every word you read without thinking about it.

James 2:19 - "You believe there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder."
The author wanted to say there's only one God. He didn't say demons really existed but used the word as an expression.

"magic" has nothing to do with devils or demons. Ars magica was used long before christianity made his way in Europe in many other religions. Celts and druids used it to honor nature and recieve blessings from mother earth. Basically it's just another way of praying and has nothing to do with "demons", "devils" or whatever.

Btw. am I the only European on this forum?

Actually, the point of the verse was not to point out that there is one God.  It was talking about the fact that having faith without deeds does not make you a good person.  It's not enough just to say there is one God, but you should let your actions show it too.  That's how I interpreted it anyway.  He was using "demons" literally.  Even if he hadn't, what about Matthew 8:16 - "When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he [Jesus] drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick."

If not from demons, or evil spirits, where do you think magic comes from?  And why should I not believe in every word the Bible says?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 01 2004,2:16)]Well, I just hope they don't spear you or something. Sorry, maybe that wasn't appropriate...

In real life, yes, I think magic does come from demons. In games, it often doesn't, but just remember that games are not real.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 06 2004,8:27)]That's how I interpreted it anyway.  He was using "demons" literally.  Even if he hadn't, what about Matthew 8:16 - "When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he [Jesus] drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick."

If not from demons, or evil spirits, where do you think magic comes from?  And why should I not believe in every word the Bible says?
So you also believe people can be possessed by demons?
biggrin.gif

You are starting to sound like my grandmother who never got any education.
As I told you before people used words like "demons" and "magic" for things they couldn't explain. Why do you think you never see such things on TV or read it in the newspaper anymore although those so called demon-possessed people were so frequently in the "old" ages? Because doctors now call it "epilepsy" and cure it with medication!
I hope you aren't one of those people who think burning thousands of people accused of witchcraft 3 centuries ago was actually a good idea.

And what did you mean with: "If you look back in history, you will find that vampires exsisted." That's plain stupid. The fact that it's based on a true story (count Dracula) doesn't mean vampires existed.

Magic didn't came from demons or evil spirits, it came from people. If you think magic works in real life, give me ONE example and don't give me some quote from the Bible this time. You should stop reading books and look around you.

You shouldn't believe every word because God or Jezus never wrote the Bible, people wrote the Bible and they DO make mistakes and I can find lot's of examples in the Bible. The Bible was translated in so many languages and rewriten so many centuries. It's hard to believe the Bible as it exists now is errorprone. In the 13th century people in West-Europe started making statues of Mozes with tiny "horns" because of one mistake a translator made.

Yes, I do believe that people can be possessed by demons.  As for vampires, take a history class.

As a Christian, my faith is in God and in His Word.  (The Bible)  Does that mean I know everything?  No, not at all.  But I choose to believe in it, and try to understand more of it.  The Bible was written by people, but I believe God put the words in their mouths to write.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ April 07 2004,11:39)]Yes, I do believe that people can be possessed by demons.  As for vampires, take a history class.

As a Christian, my faith is in God and in His Word.  (The Bible)  Does that mean I know everything?  No, not at all.  But I choose to believe in it, and try to understand more of it.  The Bible was written by people, but I believe God put the words in their mouths to write.
It's funny some 15 year old boy is telling me to take some history class.
biggrin.gif

I already finished school many years ago and my teachers never mentioned a vampire. I guess you are an American boy who knows nothing of European history. "Dracula" as you know him was a creature invented by Bram Stoker (1897) and it became the example of countless stupid stories that were to follow. Stoker came across the name "Dracula" in a history book he borrowed. The book metioned a 15th century Romanian hero, a prince of Wallachia, nicknamed Dracula who fought against the Turks. A footnote in the book said that the word Dracula came from the Romanian word for "devil". Stoker liked the name and changed the name of his vampire to Count Dracula. -> meaning Count Dracula never existed, he's just a character in a book.
YOU go take a history class!

Ofcourse the Bible was written by people inspired by Jezus and his God but those letters were translated and rewritten for more than thousand times. The Bible is full of errors because of it and God didn't correct that. Earth is round and it isn't in the center of the universe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Bible is full of errors because of it and God didn't correct that.
I see. So if the Bible has errors, how do we know what's true and what's not? How do we know then that Jesus died and rose three days later? How do we know that God created the world in six days?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. -2 Timothy 3:16

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.-John 1:1

Back