Migration to XenForo (Sept. 2015)

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I have 6 hours to migrate the forums and over a decade worth of posts and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by the scope of this project.

Okay, time to go buy the license and get started installing XenForo...

Okay, we're committed. I just purchased the license and I'm starting the download now.

New forums are live! The new skins are up, but there are a few minor display issues, so I left the stock theme as the default for the time being.

EDIT: If you find any problems with the new forums, please post about them in this thread!

def display issues... Some things look fuzzy

93d8ed4df3ec4882220e8575dc4d543e.png
bcd6cca02c93519ebdcbe153734e9421.png

looks like it might be a "shadow" that is not working properly

Overall, I think it looks good and is working well.

Found some bugs..

I have access to women's forums, and can't seem to find the men's section
There is someone's RL address on the frontpage
Can upload a new avatar, but it doesn't show that its uploaded in the selection screen.(you have to refresh the forums)

Last edited:
umm true the shadow doesn't look as good here, i will remove it.

As for the avatar uploading could be a permission error on folders.

Found the new admin page, I see where you approve new members but have not found post moderation as yet. Seems to have a few minor graphical hiccups but I can't tell if it's just the design or an effect from mitigating the files over. Longer titles, like mine, cut off the end of it (I'll shorten it myself but I left it for now so people know what I am talking about). I saw a few other minor elements like my avatar pic overlapping another element http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/index.php (IDK if it's by design) and the trophy overlay being semi transparent on your profile being difficult to read. The pop up when you hover over a thread title is pretty much unreadable being transparent with white type. It needs to be more solid like when you click on a user name.

Calling it now we need better custom trophy titles. My imagination soars with the possibilities. With your permission Tek I volunteer my services to write those up tee hee :D.

/side thought: Um er this is apparently a feature with a check box to enable...

"Discouraged users are subjected to annoying random delays and failures in system behavior, designed to 'encourage' them to go away and troll some other site."

I'm just saying it's a weird feature not that we'd use it or have to. Instead of creeping and gossiping around it at least have the decency to man up and either talk to people or ban them.

Thank you for your work Tek and Richard.

Will continue exploring and will post if needed...

Last edited:
Hmm I think Tek still has to set user group permissions for moderators and administrators to do post/thread manipulation. He probably knows this but I'm posting just in case. Tried looking into it but, aside from not knowing exactly how he wants it set, the "user groups icon" to which this page https://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/refers mentions does not appear to me so I can't (I confirmed this by seeing it in a video too). Though it appears I can set permissions for individuals just not groups.

Sleepy Gerbil time now ZZZzzz...

Last edited:
I found it doesn't play nice with IE10. And how do quote something? Overall it is going to be a learning experience, and we should set up a tips and hints thread for non techies

Can we get a thread going specifically for q&a for Xenforo? GEARED FOR NONTECHIES??

Edit: Overall I am impressed at the migration, just very lost on using the new system. Where, or where did Men's forum go?

Tek can I get my "Angel" back......I never made my avatar.....someone always covered me. Also Lydia's used to be password protected. Is that something we can still do?

Now Lydia's says I can't even access it.
I just fixed access. Only you and Shyfroggy currently have access.

I haven't yet found a way to protect forums with a password, so we'll either need to find a way to add password protection to the forums using an add-on or add more forum members to the Ladies user group to access Lydia's.

Tek can I get my "Angel" back......I never made my avatar.....someone always covered me.
Fixed. Your avatar is back.

The default size for avatars is larger than on the previous forums, so it may appear a little grainy. I'll look in to changing the default image size or implement scaling or come up with some other way to make smaller avatars look better.

Back